Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
My grandmother said "move far enough away so you can't see the smoke from their fireplace" which turns out to be around 10 miles...

my moto is far enough that you have to stay in a hotel to visit

Very well stated. Have seen a few marriages crater because one or both parties involved still had the cord attached to mom or dad. Several hours away hopefully helps insure the cord is cut.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Lol. Fair. She’s out of my league, but I’m not dumb enough to ask without getting an idea of the answer first.
don't sell yourself short
Old 12-05-2017, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Congrats on the future engagement!

Everything has a chance of failing... It's what you do to avoid failure that makes the achievement that much better.

The "divorce goggles" you speak of are a real thing, but the advice given by those with a tainted outlook on marriage, should be taken in with as much clout as the advice given by those with the marital bliss goggles. In between those two extremes lies everyday reality.

From the day you say "I do", life is no longer about you. If that is a problem, than you are better off not being married. There shouldn't be a decision made or action taken without input from your wife and that courtesy should be reciprocated from her as well. When the two of you take a vow to act as an indivisible team who are going for the same goals, a lot can be accomplished. Conversely, when one deviates, an implosion is short to follow.

Good luck, I am sure there are a lot of great things ahead.

Dang, Sodar...That is some fundamental advice that was missing in my marriage.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008, PS 197, LY6
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
So true. Nice write up Sodar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Congrats on the future engagement!

Everything has a chance of failing... It's what you do to avoid failure that makes the achievement that much better.

The "divorce goggles" you speak of are a real thing, but the advice given by those with a tainted outlook on marriage, should be taken in with as much clout as the advice given by those with the marital bliss goggles. In between those two extremes lies everyday reality.

From the day you say "I do", life is no longer about you. If that is a problem, than you are better off not being married. There shouldn't be a decision made or action taken without input from your wife and that courtesy should be reciprocated from her as well. When the two of you take a vow to act as an indivisible team who are going for the same goals, a lot can be accomplished. Conversely, when one deviates, an implosion is short to follow.

Good luck, I am sure there are a lot of great things ahead.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
A few years later, the nympho is gone and the maniac is there...
Hilarious....
Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X20
Quote:
There is a lot more to life than money and belongings. I am 1000% not mentioning a pre-nup, because it has never once crossed my mind, from the first moment we met, that I would spend my life with anyone but her. Your bad marriage goggles are definitely showing, and not all women are Satan.
Nah, you don't need no stinkin' pre-nup. If she takes half your stuff and leaves you for some dude named Justin.....just marry Justin's ex wife and you'll get half of his stuff.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Ironic that this came up on my book of faces feed today...

The Alexander House
April 2, 2016 ·
THE BEST MARRIAGE ADVICE EVER!!
Choose to love each other even in those moments when you struggle to like each other. Love is a commitment, not a feeling.
Always answer the phone when your husband/wife is calling and when possible, try to keep your phone off when you’re together with your spouse.
Make time together a priority. Budget for a consistent date night. Time is the “currency of relationships” so consistently invest time into your marriage.
Surround yourself with friends who will strengthen your marriage and remove yourself from people who may tempt you to compromise your character.
Make laughter the soundtrack of your marriage. Share moments of joy, and even in the hard times, find reasons to laugh.
In every argument, remember that there won’t be a “winner” and a “loser.” You are partners in everything so you’ll either win together or lose together. Work together to find a solution.
Remember that a strong marriage rarely has two strong people at the same time. It’s usually a husband and wife taking turns being strong for each other in the moments when the other feels weak.Prioritize what happens in the bedroom. It takes more than sex to build a strong marriage, but it’s nearly impossible to build a strong marriage without it!
Remember that marriage isn’t 50-50, divorce is 50-50. Marriage has to be 100-100. It’s not splitting everything in half, but both partners giving everything they’ve got!
Give your best to each other, not your leftovers after you’ve given your best to everyone else.
Learn from other people, but don’t feel the need to compare your life or your marriage to anyone else’s. God’s plan for your life is masterfully unique!
Don’t put your marriage on hold while you’re raising your kids or else you’ll end up with an empty nest and an empty marriage.
Never keep secrets from each other. Secrecy is the enemy of intimacy.
Never lie to each other. Lies break trust and trust is the foundation of a strong marriage.
When you’ve made a mistake, admit it and humbly seek forgiveness. You should be quick to say, “I was wrong. I’m sorry. Please forgive me.”
When your husband/wife breaks your trust, give them your forgiveness instantly which will promote healing and create the opportunity for trust to be rebuilt. You should be quick to say, “I love you. I forgive you. Let’s move forward.”
Be patient with each other. Your spouse is always more important that your schedule.
Model the kind of marriage that will make your sons want to grow up to be good husbands and your daughters want to grow up to be good wives.
Learn from other people, but don’t feel the need to compare your life or your marriage to anyone Else. God’s plan for your life is masterfully unique!
Never talk badly about your spouse to other people or vent about them online. Protect your spouse at all times and in all places.
Always wear your wedding ring. It will remind you that you’re always connected to your spouse and it will remind the rest of the world that you’re off limits!
Connect into a community of faith. A good church can make a world of difference in your marriage and family.
Pray together. Every marriage is stronger with God in the middle of it.
When you have to choose between saying nothing or saying something mean to your spouse, say nothing every time!
Never consider divorce as an option. Remember that a “perfect marriage” is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each .
Writer : Unknown
www.thealexanderhouse.org
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
^^^ Dang!! Great stuff there.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 Super Air Nautique 210
Quote:
We have lived together for 18 months or so, and it’s fantastic. Not sure if marriage is going to change things for us since we’re already an amazing team.

My brothers wedding was awesome. But I wouldn’t really want to do the traditional way. I’d like to have a small wedding on my parents land with the lake in the background.
I got married at Granbury in 1986 in a chalet just feet from the water. One hour before the wedding i was in the boat having a beer and coming to grips with my new life. Hours after the wedding, us and a few friends were back out in the boat celebrating. 32 years later we're still married and still boating, only now at PK. I'm a lucky guy
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
My dad always told me he has the last two words in any argument with my mother. No matter what the discussion is over or how heated it gets, it always ends when he says: "yes dear"
When the “Yes Dear’s” start at my house, conversation is over, we agree to disagree… Or sometimes we laugh it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Incredible response, really really well written Sodar.
Agree – Sodar’s reply was perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
Pre-nup, because nobody marries a b!tch.
Just kiddin, I married my wife 23 years ago and I would marry her again tomorrow.
Unfortunately, some of us did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I know the truth, but I keep it to myself. HA.
YUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewen View Post
You best make darn sure you share equal thoughts on EVERYTHING prior to getting hitched. Kids, finances, religion, EVERYTHING.
AMEN to that… When I was married I thought we did, only to find out over a decade later every single one of those items you mention changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
May all your ups and downs be between the sheets!
^^LMAO Another great quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Let's not get the horse in front of the cart here, she hasn't said yes yet...

Marriage is easy, it's the parenting that makes it difficult.
LOL – holy mother of rejections… Parenting does make things tough, parenting after a split up makes it impossible in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
my moto is far enough that you have to stay in a hotel to visit
Mrs Slalomjunkie complains about the size of our guest rooms in the house, but there was a rhyme to my reason for making them smaller than she wanted – I don’t want any squatters! (Plus I don’t think 13.5x11 is small at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
don't sell yourself short
Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
Hilarious....
Thank you haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Nah, you don't need no stinkin' pre-nup. If she takes half your stuff and leaves you for some dude named Justin.....just marry Justin's ex wife and you'll get half of his stuff.
^^El Sancho is a real person.