Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Great suggestions to start looking into - if you have more, I'd still love to hear them. Thanks!!

2013 X-25
Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
As an Albertan, I’ll weigh in.

Banff is nice, but most of the hills in the area leave a little to be desired to be honest. Sunshine is the only one in the area with on hill accomodations. Very basic. The hill itself has short lifts and flatish runs, you spend most of the day in line or on the lift. Lake Louise is the biggest, but unless it has seen snow it can be an icy beast due to the cold temps the Alberta Rockies see. Nothing worse than skiing in -32C weather on a hill that hasn’t seen snow is weeks. Nakiska and Norquay are basically an easy day trip on the way back to Calgary, not worth much else at less than 1/3 the size of Louise.

If you cross the border into BC, you’ll find the goods. Fernie gets over 20’ of snow a year. It’s nothing to see driveways completely buried in 6-7’ of snow and a skidoo parked on top. They also offer some killer cat access at Island Lake Lodge, as well as snowmobile terrain. Several options on the hill for ski in access, as well as a great town 5mi away with tons of great restaurants.

Kimberley is a close second to Fernie for us. German flair town with great food and a perfect mountain feel. The hill itself boasts almost as much snow as Fernie as they are only an hour apart and lie in the same snow belt. Lots of great on hill choices complete with private hot tubs and such. Last time we were there we had a great condo looking straight up the hill. Beers at the condo every other run, great option! Cranbrook, the nearest city has an International Airport.

I love my province, but BC takes the cake for snow and mild winter weather, all day.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I'm sure you can find a place to go curling too ... would be a wild night for you!
Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
I'm sure you can find a place to go curling too ... would be a wild night for you!
I'll leave the curling to my luscious hair.

2013 X-25
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
As an Albertan, I’ll weigh in.

Banff is nice, but most of the hills in the area leave a little to be desired to be honest. Sunshine is the only one in the area with on hill accomodations. Very basic. The hill itself has short lifts and flatish runs, you spend most of the day in line or on the lift. Lake Louise is the biggest, but unless it has seen snow it can be an icy beast due to the cold temps the Alberta Rockies see. Nothing worse than skiing in -32C weather on a hill that hasn’t seen snow is weeks. Nakiska and Norquay are basically an easy day trip on the way back to Calgary, not worth much else at less than 1/3 the size of Louise.

If you cross the border into BC, you’ll find the goods. Fernie gets over 20’ of snow a year. It’s nothing to see driveways completely buried in 6-7’ of snow and a skidoo parked on top. They also offer some killer cat access at Island Lake Lodge, as well as snowmobile terrain. Several options on the hill for ski in access, as well as a great town 5mi away with tons of great restaurants.

Kimberley is a close second to Fernie for us. German flair town with great food and a perfect mountain feel. The hill itself boasts almost as much snow as Fernie as they are only an hour apart and lie in the same snow belt. Lots of great on hill choices complete with private hot tubs and such. Last time we were there we had a great condo looking straight up the hill. Beers at the condo every other run, great option! Cranbrook, the nearest city has an International Airport.

I love my province, but BC takes the cake for snow and mild winter weather, all day.
I'm an Albertan . . . and still prefer Sunshine after having skied a lot of Western Canada and the US. It's hard to beat Goat's Eye or TeePee Town chairs/runs -- not much flat stuff there! Open pistes, trees, moguls, chutes . . . everything. Lift lines aren't bad compared to the old days before the high-speed quads. (Maybe I just have a soft spot -- my wife and I were engaged under the old Angel chair.)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Honestly all jokes aside curling is great fun after a few drinks
Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X23
Can’t say enough about Fernie! We skied for years in the Banff area, and now we drive to Fernie every weekend. I have never had as many powder days as I have in Fernie, the snow just does t stop! Ski in ski out is also way easier to find than in Banff.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
As an Albertan, Iíll weigh in.

I just got home last night from skiing in BC. We were at RED mtn / Valhalla Powdercats / and Whitewater. With those destinations, we did not do ski-in / ski-out. We rented a house in the town of Nelson and walked to main street for dinner and evening activities. It was our 2nd trip to BC. We'll be back. Definitely delivers the goods.

Carry on with the thread, and keep in mind that the OP said that they were not experienced skiers, so they're going to be looking for mild pitches, decent rental gear, and perhaps even some ski school days.

OP - a good ski trip, does require some pre-planning and a game plan. I'm one of the planners for my trips (both with the guys and with family). You'll need to have a plan A and a plan B. Think about the others on your trip, what will they do if they decide not to go to the hill one day. What happens if the group splits and one group does one thing and another something else. Just have a plan and a few back up ideas in your pocket.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Can a mod please amend the title of this thread from "Bannf" to "Banff" please? It's in my backyard (relatively speaking!)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Can a mod please amend the title of this thread from "Bannf" to "Banff" please? It's in my backyard (relatively speaking!)
I had already corrected it once - hopefully, it stays this time. The body was corrected, but title reverted. Or my correction was corrected incorrectly.

2013 X-25

Tags
banff, lodging, reccomendations, snow ski