Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Backslide tonight. Took my daughter to a weekend College been walking all day in the rain . had me a burger and some onion rings and a good deep Brown beer . back on the wagon in the morning!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
More Fathead Pizza tips: we liked the almond flour more than the coconut flour alternative. It also helps to add rosemary and yeast to give the aroma of wheat bread which helps influence taste.

For us at least, the meatlovers version tasted great, plain cheese version not so much.

We also made the below low carb, keto friendly sauce which was pretty easy. Most pre-made tomato sauces have added sugar and higher carbs.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/eas...b-gluten-free/
We made a fathead last night and it was awesome, carb and guilt free pizza. Loved it
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
Quote:
More Fathead Pizza tips: we liked the almond flour more than the coconut flour alternative. It also helps to add rosemary and yeast to give the aroma of wheat bread which helps influence taste.

For us at least, the meatlovers version tasted great, plain cheese version not so much.

We also made the below low carb, keto friendly sauce which was pretty easy. Most pre-made tomato sauces have added sugar and higher carbs.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/eas...b-gluten-free/
Try Rao's pizza sauce. You can find it at Publix. Something like 3g carbs.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
Alright, I'm in on keto approach. I'm a few days in. 5'10" about 180....which is a little too much for my frame. 165 goal. I like thinking about the body as a machine...and the keto approach being a mechanism to tweak the body's dials & switches. We'll see how it goes. Everyone is different, so just need to find what works for you as an individual.

I enjoy reading this thread as a bit of extra motivation!
OK, so I figured I'll update this post as things progress. I think I've been doing pretty good, but maybe not eating quite enough % fat. Here are some note and some observations:
1. Been doing it about 12 days.
2. 7 pounds lost. Some portion of that is likely water.
3. First 4 days had most "side effects". Those included light headache and just not feeling quite right. I try to jog for 20 minutes most days and during that time, it was a bit harder than normal and I noticed some muscle soreness, which is unusual. Also pretty strong carb cravings during this time.
4. Things got better after the first four days. Still get the occasional hit of a headache, but not bad at all.
5. The two main things I'm noticing right now are a significant reduction in carb cravings....almost down to zero. I just don't have the desire to eat a slice of pizza, or grab a handful of chips. Hunger levels seem much reduced and I feel full quicker and can stop eating much more easier that I could before. I'm doing occasional intermittent fasting (skip a breakfast, or skip a lunch here and there.) I did this a little before Keto and my hunger pangs were significant leading up to the meal after the one I skipped. But now, it is almost a non-issue....a little bit of hunger pangs, but no biggie.

So in a nutshell, so far, so good. And seems like an approach that isn't difficult to work into a life long habit.

Also, for anyone interested in doing some research on this, several doctors on YouTube that I've found are providing good info (lots of videos). Check out:
- Dr. Jason Fung
- Dr. Eric Westman
- Dr. Stephen Phinney
- Dr. Jeff Volek

I'll check back in a couple weeks from now when I'm close to 30 days in.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:

3. First 4 days had most "side effects". Those included light headache and just not feeling quite right. I try to jog for 20 minutes most days and during that time, it was a bit harder than normal and I noticed some muscle soreness, which is unusual. Also pretty strong carb cravings during this time.

4. Things got better after the first four days. Still get the occasional hit of a headache, but not bad at all.

5. The two main things I'm noticing right now are a significant reduction in carb cravings....almost down to zero. I just don't have the desire to eat a slice of pizza, or grab a handful of chips. Hunger levels seem much reduced and I feel full quicker and can stop eating much more easier that I could before. I'm doing occasional intermittent fasting (skip a breakfast, or skip a lunch here and there.) I did this a little before Keto and my hunger pangs were significant leading up to the meal after the one I skipped. But now, it is almost a non-issue....a little bit of hunger pangs, but no biggie.
7# in 12 days will probably end up 12-15 over a month - great pace like mine. I said it more than once, the 1st week sucks really bad. Once you get past the hump, you do lose the cravings. You'll find the cravings are not there if you snack on 0 carb things - a string cheese, some baked parm cheese, pepperonis, etc... I do think after starting this diet, my stomach has actually shrunk and that is why you get 'full' faster. Like I said before, I am eating MORE now that I did before, it's just not loaded with carbs, and that's been the key. I even drank a few (low carb) beers while working on the boat yesterday, went to bed sober, and still woke up 166 this morning.

Mrs SlalomJunkie said she wanted a hamburger, we had them. I had to pick up every pack of hamburger buns to see carb content, Lowest I found was Wonder brand @ 23 carbs per bun (we split one bun, froze the rest), but on the high end, holy crap there were 40 gram buns - which happened to be the gluten free buns you thought were so good for you. Yeah, good for fattening you up!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Quote:
OK, so I figured I'll update this post as things progress. I think I've been doing pretty good, but maybe not eating quite enough % fat. Here are some note and some observations:

So in a nutshell, so far, so good. And seems like an approach that isn't difficult to work into a life long habit.

Also, for anyone interested in doing some research on this, several doctors on YouTube that I've found are providing good info (lots of videos). Check out:
- Dr. Jason Fung
- Dr. Eric Westman
- Dr. Stephen Phinney
- Dr. Jeff Volek

I'll check back in a couple weeks from now when I'm close to 30 days in.
Good for you, I'm also down 7, and pretty sure none of it is water weight (i drink a ton of water everyday) The carb cravings are gone. I wasn't very good at reading labels my first 10 days or so, and I ended up eating more carbs than I thought. I've noticed that when I skip a meal I don't feel hungry but my energy drops after a few hours, and it's harder to recover the energy by eating a fat and protein snack than it was with carbs.

I got some keto test strips the other day and am showing I'm between 40-80 Ketones. I hope to get it to 80+ soon.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN X-45 View Post
Try Rao's pizza sauce. You can find it at Publix. Something like 3g carbs.
Thumbsup, thanks for that. Iím finding it less interesting to cook meals and whatnot, so having a go-to rotation is key especially if the whole family likes in. Iíve definitely eaten less with the protein all day vs jamming carbs down late night. Flavored club soda at night seems to satisfy lake night cravings.

So far weíve managed to please everyone including Captain Keto with:

Burgers. We had previously cut these out for family meals in the past but they are a hit added back even without buns. The Admiral likes Brie on Burger, plus avocado and bacon.

Halibut Picatta. Havenít yet quite perfected the recipe but will post once it is nailed. Seafood is key and go ahead and bring the butter. King Crab from Costco is money, as is their Salmon.

Wings. No breadcrumbs, no sweet BBQ sauces.

Steak. NY Strip or Filets wrapped in bacon.

BBQ: Butt, Brisket, Turkey, Chicken - again just watch the sugar loaded sauces. Get your dry rub on, use mustard, dab of BBQ sauce only or make your own keto bbq which Iím on the hunt for now.

Chicken and Turkey: Eat the skin again. Thighs are juicy.

Blue Cheese Dressing: Easier to find low carb versions off the shelf. Looking for lower carb vinigarettes. Cobb salads are good to go so long as dressing is keto friendly.

Eggs: Mix it up. Got sick of hard boiled, then got sick of deviled, now back to omlettes/fried/scrambled with bacon, cheese, avocado.

Fat Head Pizza: once a week max for us at least as the crust is pretty damn filling and I dont want to get sick of it.

Grab and Go: Deli meats, cheese, nuts

Smootie: low carb protein - low carb protein powder, cocoa powder, stevia, whipping creme, water, ice. Satisfies the sweet tooth and can replace a meal.

Sorry for random rant, side effect of one month on keto. The other side effect is Iím envisioning 20+ free ski slalom turns instead of 12 before throwing the rope and sucking for air.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaprlud View Post
I got some keto test strips the other day and am showing I'm between 40-80 Ketones. I hope to get it to 80+ soon.
I would not get too caught up with being in ketosis. After the 1st month, I have not been in ketosis and here may be the reason why - I am burning the ketones for energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecG0HDXDSg
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Sorry for random rant, side effect of one month on keto. The other side effect is Iím envisioning 20+ free ski slalom turns instead of 12 before throwing the rope and sucking for air.
You got it down pat... LMK what time to show up for dinner

Seriously, LMK if you find a low carb bbq sauce - the one I bought (G Hughes) kinda sucked, but not so bad mixed with the bad stuff.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
I would not get too caught up with being in ketosis. After the 1st month, I have not been in ketosis and here may be the reason why - I am burning the ketones for energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecG0HDXDSg
SJ....you can still be in ketosis (the metabolism where your insulin is low and your body wants to burn fat vs. sugar) if your excreting ketone level is low. You want to be in ketosis, otherwise you won't efficiently be burning the fat you are ingesting. But then like you say, you are likely not having a big excess of excreted ketones because you are using most of the ones you are producing for energy.

As long as your keep your carbs low, you'll still be in ketosis.

From what I have read/watched...the value of the urine strips is uncertain. I'm not bothering with them personally.

Good job everyone who is giving this a try and making progress!!!!!!!!!