Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-07-2018, 12:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
You will need to disonnect and keep the purple wire from touching ground as it will be carrying 12vts when key is on. As to red power wire, IIRC my original set up went to the positive post on the starter which was where the positive cable from the battery was landed as well. The starter to battery cable was already 0/1 gauge but the alternator to starter was much smaller. I ran similar (0/2 awg IIRC) from the alternator to the starter post to handle the extra current the higher output alternator provided. I didn’t need to change the starter to battery run as it met the requirements based on total length (distance from atl to starter + dist from starter to battery)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 94 Mastercraft Prostar 205
That makes sense.

Thank you for this insight. Very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 11:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes
Please keep us posted how your single wire alternator install goes. My 94 205 has the same alternator and I am looking for cheaper replacement solution like the one you found. Is there any real advantage to keeping the stock 2-wire setup?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC351stars View Post
Is there any real advantage to keeping the stock 2-wire setup?

Yes/No - in application if you are making "enough" juice with the alternator you'll not run out.

A single wire alternator is basically a fixed voltage power source to the system that tries to maintain a constant 14.whatever output to the battery. High amp single wire alternators can just keep upping the output if the feed side is low (like if you turn on your ballast pumps and the radio and a fan or whatever else you use on your boat).

This is a condition that can be remedied by systems that have a remote sensing wire that is looking at the voltage between the battery and the system instead of just the output voltage of the alternator.

Is it a big problem? Not if you aren't draining the battery too much, if you are then having a remote sensing alternator is a big plus because the system will increase voltage to help boost up the battery faster. Also do consider a single wire as a "single wire + ground and add an ancillary ground wire from the alternator to the block bypassing the mount. On my buddy's boat if you took a jumper from the case of the alternator to the engine ground the system voltage went up .2 volts.