Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: shopping
2005 205v

Looking for my first boat for wake boarding and surfing. My budget is 30k.
Owner say is has perfect pass but no ballast.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...680682564.html

What is your thoughts on this boat?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
That is so clean!

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you can install ballast yourself with help from many posts here already on the forums. However, you are looking at probably close to 1800 in parts alone with no labor to get the best weight package:

At least two pumps packages:
https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...st-system.html

Your rear lockers will take these:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

This goes in your bow (and absolute minimum because 205s love bow weight)
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...d-bow-sac.html

And your ski locker:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...rough-sac.html

It's a fantastic wakeboarding boat and ok surfing boat. If are looking to take surfing far, you might want to re-think getting the 205 haul but at 30k you options are limited.

I would be curious what electronics they put in. Also, the perfectpass in there is probably the paddle or rpm version, not the GPS version just by looking at it. It's not bad, just not the most updated. It looks like a beautiful clean boat though. No pictures of engine compartment though.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
That boat is very clean. The interior colors and upholstery style is the same look as my 2005 197 as is the dash. I would jump on the lift for sure as that's a awesome price. I'd buy the lift in a heart beat if I could easily get it.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
It looks to be very clean but you're paying every penny for it for what it is. That's not all bad if this is the boat you're looking for but IMO you're certainly not getting any "end of season" deal on it.

It appears to be a very well cared for boat that's also very clean, at least in the pictures which can be deceiving.

On the plus side....
Looks to be very clean and well taken care of.
By 2005 Medallion had gotten their stuff together enough that the gauges actually worked reliably.
By that year the vinyl issues had also been resolved and didn't split at the seams in 3 to 5 years.
New stereo.
New cover.
Cruise control.
MCX is a nice engine to have.

On the negative side.....
Old hull design that while a great crossover boat for skiing and wakeboarding it's not that good for surfing.
While being a vDrive we found our 03 X2 very cramped in comparison to the 07 X2 we upgrade to, which you could get for $6K - $8K more with probably less hours (PM me if you end up consider going this direction, I have an 07 X2 for sale in this price range).
No ballast. Covered above. Doing it right will cost you about $2K (if you do it yourself) making the boat even less of a deal as you're now at $32K.
New cover, but what cover (i.e. who made it?Could be really good or a cheap cover purchased to get by with).
I don't see PP in the pictures. It may be MC cruise that's located next to the throttle. PP would be in the dash if it's at least the Wakeboard Pro model).
A new stereo is nice but how was it installed and did they build it out correctly. Does it have a sub, what amps did they install, is it all marine grade, etc.? While there's nothing wrong with Rockford, it's still not JL Audio.
Which trailer and in what condition? (an 05 would have Reliable components, hard to tell what condition the trailer would be in but expect to replace everything if it hasn't already been done. Ask me how I know this). If you have to upgrade to UFP you're looking at about a grand if you do it yourself. You're now at $33K.

There are always pluses and minuses to every boat. This one may be the one for you, it may not. While I don't see this as any kind of screaming deal (especially after adding a ballast system and possibly trailer repair), it is very clean and you could certainly do much worse. Going to look at it in person is the only way you're going to know for sure.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, you can install ballast yourself with help from many posts here already on the forums. However, you are looking at probably close to 1800 in parts alone with no labor to get the best weight package:

At least two pumps packages:
https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...st-system.html

Your rear lockers will take these:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

This goes in your bow (and absolute minimum because 205s love bow weight)
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...d-bow-sac.html

And your ski locker:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-...rough-sac.html

It's a fantastic wakeboarding boat and ok surfing boat. If are looking to take surfing far, you might want to re-think getting the 205 haul but at 30k you options are limited.

I would be curious what electronics they put in. Also, the perfectpass in there is probably the paddle or rpm version, not the GPS version just by looking at it. It's not bad, just not the most updated. It looks like a beautiful clean boat though. No pictures of engine compartment though.
Installing ballast wont be a problem, Im pretty mechanically inclined. But definitely something to factor into purchase price. What other hull options are in the 30k range? If i dare say maybe a Malibu wake setter Ill ask for more detail on what it has for cruse control and get some engine bay pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
That boat is very clean. The interior colors and upholstery style is the same look as my 2005 197 as is the dash. I would jump on the lift for sure as that's a awesome price. I'd buy the lift in a heart beat if I could easily get it.
I might go check it out this week its not to far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
It looks to be very clean but you're paying every penny for it for what it is. That's not all bad if this is the boat you're looking for but IMO you're certainly not getting any "end of season" deal on it.

It appears to be a very well cared for boat that's also very clean, at least in the pictures which can be deceiving.

On the plus side....
Looks to be very clean and well taken care of.
By 2005 Medallion had gotten their stuff together enough that the gauges actually worked reliably.
By that year the vinyl issues had also been resolved and didn't split at the seams in 3 to 5 years.
New stereo.
New cover.
Cruise control.
MCX is a nice engine to have.

On the negative side.....
Old hull design that while a great crossover boat for skiing and wakeboarding it's not that good for surfing.
While being a vDrive we found our 03 X2 very cramped in comparison to the 07 X2 we upgrade to, which you could get for $6K - $8K more with probably less hours (PM me if you end up consider going this direction, I have an 07 X2 for sale in this price range).
No ballast. Covered above. Doing it right will cost you about $2K (if you do it yourself) making the boat even less of a deal as you're now at $32K.
New cover, but what cover (i.e. who made it?Could be really good or a cheap cover purchased to get by with).
I don't see PP in the pictures. It may be MC cruise that's located next to the throttle. PP would be in the dash if it's at least the Wakeboard Pro model).
A new stereo is nice but how was it installed and did they build it out correctly. Does it have a sub, what amps did they install, is it all marine grade, etc.? While there's nothing wrong with Rockford, it's still not JL Audio.
Which trailer and in what condition? (an 05 would have Reliable components, hard to tell what condition the trailer would be in but expect to replace everything if it hasn't already been done. Ask me how I know this). If you have to upgrade to UFP you're looking at about a grand if you do it yourself. You're now at $33K.

There are always pluses and minuses to every boat. This one may be the one for you, it may not. While I don't see this as any kind of screaming deal (especially after adding a ballast system and possibly trailer repair), it is very clean and you could certainly do much worse. Going to look at it in person is the only way you're going to know for sure.
What would you consider a good end of season price? Im not dead set on a 205v but seemed like a good option for my price range. I dont ski at all anymore so ski wake is not a factor at all. Thanks for your input definitely some good things to consider. Where at in brighton are you at? I grew up in brighton/island lake area.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Maltby and Hamburg Rd, about 3 miles from COSTCO.

Kind of hard to say but I'd be a lot closer to $25K on a 600 hour 05 205v with no ballast system this time of year. Don't forget it's not an X1, it's the lower trim level 205v. If this were an X1, same condition with ballast and real Perfect Pass I'd be at $28K maybe $29K this time of year. $30K would still be strong IMO for that boat based on the whole Wakesurfing trend and the hours in the MI market.

All this being said a lot is going to depend on the actual condition of the boat AND THE TRAILER. For some reason people get all about the boat and forget about what it's sitting on while in storage or getting to the lake if it's not going to stay on a lift. Also consider what you'll need to put into it and the primary use of the boat, then you can come up with what the boat is worth TO YOU. If you plan to primarily wakeboard this model produced what some consider to be some of the best wakeboarding wakes even by today's standards. Wakesurfing however is an area the 205v tends to struggle without crazy weight.

I will say that the used market prices have stayed strong this fall. I saw much better deals last fall in comparison to this year. If you're in the $30K - $32K market now I'd consider saving a bit more to bump up to the $35K to $38K market. In that price range you'll be able to get into a newer X2 which will have all the features, will wakesurf well and will have considerable more room both for the passengers and storage.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
I would not pay over 24k for that boat because no perfect pass or ballast system. That boat does surf excellent though with 3500 pounds and the 1285 prop reguardless of what people say. Search my post history and you will see some video.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
25k with the lift max... no ballast no cruise, better have a heater north of he mason Dixon line.