Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
Thanks all for the replies. In previous years, I've always noticed that the starter certainly struggles to turn the engine once the oil is added, but like you figured there was enough room for a bit of oil and the resistance was due to increased compression, not "hydrolcok". I added no more than 4 oz of oil. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the consensus that damage is unlikely. Next year my fogging procedure will certainly change!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycm View Post
Thanks all for the replies. In previous years, I've always noticed that the starter certainly struggles to turn the engine once the oil is added, but like you figured there was enough room for a bit of oil and the resistance was due to increased compression, not "hydrolcok". I added no more than 4 oz of oil. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the consensus that damage is unlikely. Next year my fogging procedure will certainly change!
I don't fog down the intake, dry intake on my engine. But, I pull the plugs and spray 10 seconds of oil in each cylinder, put the plugs in and turn the engine over with out the lanyard.

There's no reason for you to change your fogging. It did not cause this.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Sorry to get off topic, but it looks like you have a bolt backing its way out of your stringer as well.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 PM
TT Regular

That's actually how I mount my blower. I had to get it out of the way to get to the starter. Thanks for noticing, just in case!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Ok glad it's nothing more than that.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS 330 LTR
I know it's a long shot, but could a gasoline engine compression ignite (diesel) under the right conditions? I mean, he had a volume of oil added to the cylinder, which raised the compression ratio some. With combustible oil in there, I wonder if a diesel backfire could have possibly occurred, grenading the starter in the process.

Doubtful for sure, but who knows? I'm with the others above, the starter probably already had stress cracks forming in the casting, which finally let go. New starter and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-7
When turning the motor over with the starter if you cycle the starter off and on without letting the starter stop between cycles you can break a starter motor. Don't ask me how I know!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Was the ignition system hooked up and functional while you were doing this? If not I would say no way you bent a rod. If the ignition system was functioning then there is a possibility. Personally I would fix the starter, turn it over with the plugs out, then compression check it for piece of mind.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

I had the coil cable removed, so no the ignition system wasn't operational. Based on the consistent advise, I replaced the starter over the weekend and it turned over just fine with the plugs removed.

I did not check compression, as I think most folks are right that the starter wasn't going to do any damage to the engine. Its in storage now, so if you don't hear from me in the spring, we're all good!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Starts & Stripes Powerslot, 92 Hydrodyne Comp
Yep - Id agree with Todd and Kevin above. Your started exploded is all. OK maybe a little extra stress on it but REALLY doubt there's any internal engine damage. Replace the starter and my bet is it's just fine.