Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 06-10-2015, 02:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23 5500
Thumbs up $23.5k Immaculate Condition Direct Drive Cobalt FS; Highly Upgraded Stereo

Help an aspiring MC owner sell my 1998 direct drive Cobalt 202cs! Asking $23.5k listed with St. Louis area MC dealer. Great x-over boat. Very low hours, meticulously maintained; has always been stored in a climate controlled building under my ownership. Upholstery is about as perfect as you could dream for a boat of its age, you won't find one cleaner. Gel is like new. No stories. I have owned it since 2008, the following upgrades were made in 2008-'10 (not all inclusive):

New tandem trailer w/ spare from Cobalt
Monster tower professionally installed w/ board and surf racks
Custom cover (bow seperate)
Professionally installed JL Audio system, with 8 cockpit speakers + sub, 4 tower cans; 7 (yes, 7) amps, iPod/aux in and helm display remote
Dual battery bank w/ switch

Cobalt only made this boat for two years, before pulling out of the inboard biz. Great quality as you'd find on their sterndrives. Snap in carpet, flip up bolster, and other nice features. Built in cooler in reach of driver . Boat has some decent weight to it, particularly w/ the tower upgrades, so it throws a solid wake ~20mph then flattens out like you'd expect it to in the mid to high 20's. You can surf it w/ 1 bag in the rear ski locker, 1 in the walkway, and 1 on surfer side of the dog house.

Do more surfing now than anything and am in a position to u/g to a gently used X-30 or possibly new NXT 22. Happy days just thinking about it, but need to sell my old baby first.

Last edited by JBaker; 11-05-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Removed expired link
Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Boats seem to be unique and get good reviews. Unfortunately, your pricing seems to be firmly in the 2000/2001 x-star/205v range so may be hard to generate much interest. Not much out there to do price comparisons on and NADA guides are typically not very accurate especially for limited run boats.

I did find a 1999 pretty well loaded and also including the 330hp black scorpion for $18k asking price. No tower and a more basic stereo FWIW. http://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Cob...ana-43813.aspx
Good luck with the sale and let us know what you end up buying.

Ross
Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks Ross. I'm hoping the price is reasonable, and admittedly turned down more than the ask on the Indiana listing you highlight. My dealer originally listed at $25k. Time will tell. We are aware of the Indiana listing, but it's hard to say what condition it's in from one photo. Even if it's perfect, I still imagine my trailer, tower and stereo should more than bridge the gap. There was a listing for $19.9k on boattrader just a few days ago that seems to have sold in worse condition/much higher hours/no tower, but who knows the clearing price.

I tried to do my homework vs. MC's and Nautiques for pricing, since you're right NADA on this relatively rare boat may or may not be a great barometer. I don't think you will find any open bow MC's this vintage or newer in this condition with similarly original low hours for less $...including X-star or 205v w/ well equipped tower. At least that's what an onlyinboards and boattrader search turned up at the time of price reduction to $23.5k. I am motivated though, and can't wait to get into an MC.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker View Post
Thanks Ross. I'm hoping the price is reasonable, and admittedly turned down more than the ask on the Indiana listing you highlight. My dealer originally listed at $25k. Time will tell. We are aware of the Indiana listing, but it's hard to say what condition it's in from one photo. Even if it's perfect, I still imagine my trailer, tower and stereo should more than bridge the gap. There was a listing for $19.9k on boattrader just a few days ago that seems to have sold in worse condition/much higher hours/no tower, but who knows the clearing price.

I tried to do my homework vs. MC's and Nautiques for pricing, since you're right NADA on this relatively rare boat may or may not be a great barometer. I don't think you will find any open bow MC's this vintage or newer in this condition with similarly original low hours for less $...including X-star or 205v w/ well equipped tower. At least that's what an onlyinboards and boattrader search turned up at the time of price reduction to $23.5k. I am motivated though, and can't wait to get into an MC.
I know nothing about this Cobalt boat and it looks in great shape, but I do tend to agree with Ross on the price. I have a 1994 with similar hours and add on tower, stereo, perfect pass, etc. and I have no hope in making the money I paid for the boat in 2001 before I added all that stuff. The Monster Tower doesn't add a lot of value, and that's coming from a guy who owns one...

I do wish you luck in the sale and hope you can move it so you can get what you want.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM
MC Devotee

And here I was hoping you would all submit offers over asking...

My buyer will have to see some value in the stereo, which was an $11k+ install. Obviously not expecting to recoup that investment, or even half of it, but when you look at what new inboards have in them today (and have had for about a decade), it would seem many buyers are willing to pay up for a better audio experience underway.

I will try to post some pictures in the thread later today, and do appreciate all feedback.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Cobalts are great boats. Yours is in good condition.

Any Cobalt aficionados will not be excited by the tower.

The other buyers will be entry level inboard guys, that will also have the option of MC or CC, and those typically have stronger re-sale.

If you haven't sold by July 1, you may want to adjust the price. Or make arrangements for winter storage.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
You might want to consider options to retain some of the stereo gear for your next boat and reduce price accordingly if you want to move it quickly since you have top quality audio stuff. Typically with a single sub and 8 cabin + 4 tower speakers most have 2 or 3 amps? Never seen 7 amps used for that type of setup, was curious as to how is yours configured?

Also important to understand there is typically a significant price difference betwen base engines and top option motor. Not sure on your boat, but these were $4k~$6k options on M/C back when they sold in the high $30s. Typically they resell for a couple of grand more when all else is equal compared to base engine boat. Best wisbes of a successful outcome and move to becoming an M/C owner. This forum provides a wealth of help and support for owners troubleshooting issues, doing inspections for potential buyed that are out of state, etc.

As others have said, it may take a little longer to find the right buyer but if you are patient, you could get lucky.

Last edited by Rossterman; 06-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 82 Stars and Stipes
Just my thought, but most water sports people do not know much about these boats. You might be better off trying to market it to the IO/Cobalt crowd being it's a rare model for them.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Just my thought, but most water sports people do not know much about these boats. You might be better off trying to market it to the IO/Cobalt crowd being it's a rare model for them.
I'd respectfully disagree. My sister wanted a ski boat but newer than my 94' and an open bow. I would of chosen the PS 205, 2000 era, but with the issue of the vinyl, I opted to look at other options. I didn't want her to get a "newer boat" to only have to potentially replace the interior vinyl in a few years. When we saw the OB Cobalt, it was quite similar (in class) as the PS 205 and worth a look.

Granted, it's not as nice of a ski wake as my earlier 205.... however it's still very decent. Probably throw a little weight in the back and a pretty decent wakeboarding wake, too (for a DD boat). I'd suspect it would be similar to a weighted later generation PS 205.

The build quality is excellent! We put PerfectPass in the Cobalt as well, got a BI Boom....very similar type of parts for DD boats. I do like it.

And, if this was only marketed to Cobalt fans, they may not even know the benefits of the DD layout. I'd think skiers are far more familiar with DD boats and may be more interested. Just my 2 cents....

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
You might want to consider options to retain some of the stereo gear for your next boat and reduce price accordingly if you want to move it quickly since you have top quality audio stuff. Typically with a single sub and 8 cabin + 4 tower speakers most have 2 or 3 amps? Never seen 7 amps used for that type of setup, was curious as to how is yours configured?
The system is set up as fully active, meaning it bypasses all passive crossovers so that each driver has its own amp channel and therefore its own gain control. In other words, every tweeter has its own amp channel, every mid range has its own amp channel, and the sub has its own amp. So 4 amps power the cabin speakers (16 amp channels power 8 mids and 8 tweets), 2 amps power the tower speakers, and 1 amp powers the sub. It's not just about the volume gained, but rather the clarity, precision, and flexibility. It's all dialed in at this point, so it's "idiot proof" with the only readily accessible adjustments being sub volume control and standard fade/balance/bass/treble.

I will probably consider offering the stereo reduction if I have trouble generating more interest by the end of the season...or if it's attractively proposed by the buyer. I could take it down to three amps relatively easily, or two if I removed the tower speakers. But it is work I would have to do personally (which is not my idea of leisure time in the summer) or overpay to have it done for me. Obvious preference is to just find an appreciating buyer and move forward. To be honest, I don't have the time I once did to help design and oversee an install like I did in this Cobalt. I think I would have upgraded boats a season or two ago, but it is tough knowing I'll likely never have another that sounds this good.

I know someone will see this boat and appreciate the quality...and thanks for all the comments. TT is the best.

Tags
for sale, jl audio, prostar, x-14, x-9