Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: SeaDoo 2011
Since it's regarding Jet Ski, I'll post my update since it happened yesterday.

Two of my friends were on Jet Ski and one of them knows how to swim and other one didn't know but both had a life Jacket on :-) .. Since Lake Lanier is full of water right now and there were so many wake, they found a way to fell off the Jet ski. I had my boat ready to be on the trailer since I was almost done. All of sudden, We heard the scream, oh chit we gonna die we gonna die.. We were laughing our arse off.. Dude, You know how to swim (but we totally forgot he got someone who didn't and that dude was panicking).. all of sudden 2-3 boats started going toward them and I put the reverse gear and approached them and loaded in my boat.

We all are on the water for some fun but I think boating lesson and license should be priority.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
In reality, everyone young or old should have to have a class and tests to have a boating license.
Agreed. Training is a must for driving a car, so it should be for a watercraft as well. I spent a number of trips to the lake teaching my family the rules. We would all be licensed if there were such in SC. Ignorance is not bliss when endangering others is concerned. Parents who allow kids to drive without being taught properly. I don't envy them when they figure out that they bear the liability.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
Well I will start out my comment by saying that we are boat poor. Along with our 96 Prostar 190 LT1, we also have a 24' pontoon boat, a 16' Fisher fishing boat, a 35' Catalina Sailboat (dad's), and last but not least...a 2004 Polaris Virage I jet ski...which my kids love so much that I just spent around $1,000 to have the FICHT computer rebuilt and some other work. My kids are well schooled about the rules of the water and know all privileges will be lost for doing the crap I cuss people for. We get the occasional follower on our lake, but usually never while pulling...we have enough bada$$'s on our lake that have threatened bodily harm that there's been a hefty decline in the complaints. Another thing I have noticed is the number of jet ski's on the lake has declined over the last 5-6 years...mainly I think because the price of a new one is getting so high that it is not that easy to get on the water anymore...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMoose View Post
Agreed. Training is a must for driving a car, so it should be for a watercraft as well. I spent a number of trips to the lake teaching my family the rules. We would all be licensed if there were such in SC. Ignorance is not bliss when endangering others is concerned. Parents who allow kids to drive without being taught properly. I don't envy them when they figure out that they bear the liability.
This has been discussed in other threads... the only problem is letting big brother getting his stupid fingers into something else.

As much as I agree - I don't want more regulations - it will only hurt the people who give a crap.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Doug, thanks for sharing. Also, nice to read that even "The Great Eastie" has wrapped a rope in the prop! Been there and done that. A ski mask and a knife (along with a set of jumper cables) is a must for any ski boat.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
This has been discussed in other threads... the only problem is letting big brother getting his stupid fingers into something else.

As much as I agree - I don't want more regulations - it will only hurt the people who give a crap.
we have it in Canada, it is a one time cost to take a course and write the exam - no expiration (yet!) on the license. Getting caught without one is a $250 fine.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
we have it in Canada, it is a one time cost to take a course and write the exam - no expiration (yet!) on the license. Getting caught without one is a $250 fine.
It is similar here in AL as well although it expires whenever your DL expires as it is just an endorsement on your license. Not sure what the fine is, but I hope I never have to find out. I moved to FL several years ago and ironically they do not require a boat license. You would think that a state that is mostly surrounded by water would require something like that, but they don't. Anyway when I moved back to AL, I was worried that I would have to take the boating test again after had I had taken it about 15 years prior. Thankfully, I still had my certification card, although the lady had to call her superior to get it approved as they no longer give those type out. Thankfully they let me add the endorsement back on my DL.

At a bare minimum, I think it would be a good idea for a dealer to offer a safe boating class for those that purchase a boat from them. Perhaps some do, I'm not sure.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
Yes I have that Canada's boating card...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD View Post
Doug, thanks for sharing. Also, nice to read that even "The Great Eastie" has wrapped a rope in the prop! Been there and done that. A ski mask and a knife (along with a set of jumper cables) is a must for any ski boat.
I had the knife, but had pulled the mask out when I was working on the course using a friend's boat. As for jumper cables, we have a portable jump starter under the observer seat that is charged up regularly.

And yes, I'm not immune from stupid human tricks. Cameron has a new rope and handle on order (at least it wasn't mine).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1990, Indmar Ford 351w GT40P, Borg Warner 1/1 Velvet drive 71c 10-17-004, pp stargazer, Acme 13
Boat/Jetski license mandatory for most places in Europe: still doesn't mean you don't cross paths with clueless people from time to time...