Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-12-2017, 05:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Talking

Phase Six. ........ Additional subwoofer Install.

I spent a while researching what I wanted to do for an additional subwoofer and considered three options. First was running the stock 10" sub and adding another one. Second was adding a 12" JL IB sub and keep the stock 10" sub. Third was removing the stock sub all together and have just a 12" sub in the stock location. Two main things to decide on was where to mount the new sub and how it will be powered.

For mounting locations available a 2nd 10" could go either under the observers seat coffin area or under the dash by the drivers feet. A 12" sub would only really fit under the dash area but requires relocating many electrical items as you can see in the photo. This is the same for a 10" in that same location.

In the end I decided against a 12 " for many reasons. First, I really didn't like the idea of vibrating the electronics located under the helm all the time with the sub under the dash. Second, I didn't like the idea of having two subwoofers firing sound waves directly at each other potentially canceling each other out. Third, I didn't want to power a 10" and a 12" sub from the same amplifier and didn't want to add a fourth amplifier for just the 12 " sub.

So I picked up a second JL 10" IB sub as I liked the idea of adding it in the coffin storage area the best as it doesn't fire directly at the stock sub and I don't have to relocate everything under the dash. Figured I could run both subs off the M600/1 amp giving them plenty of power at 300 watts RMS each. And as a side benefit it would add a noticable bass vibration hit or feel to the ovserver passenger seating area. Bass seems more noticable when you can hear it and feel it right?
Attached Images

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Last edited by SS LS1; 04-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Phase Six continued. ......

Audio decisions all made, so time to cut an even bigger hole in our boat and make another big mess.

Marked the subwoofer location, removed the billet grab handle and heater tubing, drilled a starter hole and cut the opening with a jigsaw. Thick fiberglass here but nothing like the multi layers found in the walkway area.

Got the speaker mounted and wired up with some JL Audio 12ga speaker wire and cleaned up my mess. Very happy with the final appearance of the additional speakers and the 2nd subwoofer really added some nice bass to the cockpit bathtub area like I was looking for. Due to the mixed sub radiating directions I tried the new subwoofer wired both in phase and out of phase with the stock sub and it definately sounds the best in phase with each other. The coffin and observers pass through storage volume is so big that the new subwoofer does not passively radiate the new walkway M770 speaker and the reason I did not mount them both in the walkway next to one another.

I also installed some foam sound dampening material in the gap between the seat base and the observers flip up seat to help complete the necessary infinite baffle separation between front and rear sound waves. You can see the gap before I filled it in the last photo, it is located directly above the observers heated seat switch and the bottom of the seat cushion. I think a lot of installs miss this opening and it will affect your sound quality of IB speakers.

Overall a fun project that exceeded my expectations in sound quality and completely impressed with JL Audio components when powered properly.

I'm happy I did the work myself as I learned a lot about the boat in general. Hope this series of posts can help someone out on their future audio project like many of you have done so for myself. Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by SS LS1; 04-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Phase Five continued. ......

Audio decisions all made, so time to cut an even bigger hole in our boat and make another big mess.

Marked the subwoofer location, removed the billet grab handle and heater tubing, drilled a starter hole and cut the opening with a jigsaw. Thick fiberglass here but nothing like the multi layers found in the walkway area.

Got the speaker mounted and wired up with some JL Audio 12ga speaker wire and cleaned up my mess. Very happy with the final appearance of the additional speakers and the 2nd subwoofer really added some nice bass to the cockpit bathtub area like I was looking for. Due to the mixed sub radiating directions I tried the new subwoofer wired both in phase and out of phase with the stock sub and it definately sounds the best in phase with each other. The coffin and observers pass through storage volume is so big that the new subwoofer does not passively radiate the new walkway M770 speaker and the reason I did not mount them both in the walkway next to one another.

I also installed some foam sound dampening material in the gap between the seat base and the observers flip up seat to help complete the necessary infinite baffle separation between front and rear sound waves. You can see the gap before I filled it in the last photo, it is located directly above the observers heated seat switch and the bottom of the seat cushion. I think a lot of installs miss this opening and it will affect your sound quality of IB speakers.

Overall a fun project that exceeded my expectations in sound quality and completely impressed with JL Audio components when powered properly.

I'm happy I did the work myself as I learned a lot about the boat in general. Hope this series of posts can help someone out on their future audio project like many of you have done so for myself. Cheers!
Great installs and I love the progress. I have a 10in JL sub that I am looking to install in this exact location. Did you use the JL templet? How long did the install take? Did you have an LED ring for it?

Im hoping to do mine soon when I get some time.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Hello Dave, (love your surf edition boat BTW) thanks for the kind words on the installs. The JL template works perfectly, I had already made my own template after removing the stock sub to install the LED light ring and used that to make a pattern. I used my template to be sure the speaker would fit where I wanted to before ordering the 2nd subwoofer is all.

The sub install was the easiest of all and only took an afternoon to cut, mount, wire and clean up the boat. Easy peasy! Two tips, you may want more than one jigsaw blade as they dull quickly and make sure you mount the speaker off the floor high enough the jigsaw can cut the lowest portion of the hole without the saw hitting the floor. Hope that makes sense.

I did not add a light ring to this sub as I wanted it as flush as possible under the coffin seat cushion to keep guests from bumping the sub grill. Can always add one in 20 mins if I feel the need one day.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
Looks great throughout. You have to take what the boat gives you and there's not a better second subwoofer location for that boat.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 x2
Looks awesome ! Great write up !!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Hello Dave, (love your surf edition boat BTW) thanks for the kind words on the installs. The JL template works perfectly, I had already made my own template after removing the stock sub to install the LED light ring and used that to make a pattern. I used my template to be sure the speaker would fit where I wanted to before ordering the 2nd subwoofer is all.

The sub install was the easiest of all and only took an afternoon to cut, mount, wire and clean up the boat. Easy peasy! Two tips, you may want more than one jigsaw blade as they dull quickly and make sure you mount the speaker off the floor high enough the jigsaw can cut the lowest portion of the hole without the saw hitting the floor. Hope that makes sense.

I did not add a light ring to this sub as I wanted it as flush as possible under the coffin seat cushion to keep guests from bumping the sub grill. Can always add one in 20 mins if I feel the need one day.
Thank you for the kind words. Your X2 is a great looking boat as well.

I may try and tackle the install this weekend if I have time. Easter Weekend is a huge crawfish boil for my family and the kick off for the season.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Looks great.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
I kind of skimmed through this, but what's your battery set up going to look like?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments guys, I wish I would have done something like this to our last boat as we would have enjoyed our time on the water even more I think.

Before this I have honestly not been impressed with the stock MC IB subwoofer in any of the new boats I have been in (2016 was the newest) as it realy is not that noticable IMO. But having the Wetsounds 420SQ equalizer with the ability to remotely adjust the bass level independently makes a world of difference IMO.

When just putting around slowly we like to have the tunes on but still converse in the boat. It's nice to turn up the bass level at these lower listening levels where it is noticable yet easily turn it back down when you crank up the volume. If I had to constantly open the glove box to adjust the head unit it just wouldn't happen (Clarion stereo). But even the Fusion system and it's many zones sounds good on paper but the actual ease of quick use is not quite perfected yet from my experience. Maybe a firmware upgrade can improve this one day?

Adding additional subwoofer power or a second IB sub alone will not transform your sound system and I feel an independent bass adjustment is absolutely necessary for an impressive change. If you don't have a separate EQ to do this I would highly recommend getting the JL Audio optional level control knob and setting your amp so it will control the bass gain remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I kind of skimmed through this, but what's your battery set up going to look like?
Currently I have dual series 24 batteries hooked up to a BE Marine battery switch and a ProMariner ProSport20plus 20 amp on board charger. The charger will charge/maintain 3 individual batteries if need be one day. We live on the lake so when we are done riding we just head back to the house to relax in the yard. Since we don't tie up to a sandbar and play tunes all afternoon, with the engine off, dual batteries is just fine for our usage. If you float and jam all afternoon in a cove I would consider a larger group size house battery or go to a tripple battery setup for more reserve capacity.

One last observation is I am impressed with how efficient the class D JL amplifiers are for how much power they can put out. They barely get warm and are surprisingly friendly to the batteries. If you ran other less efficient amplifiers at high volume levels the dual battery system may not be able to cope as well and would take that into consideration when planning a system upgrade.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images