Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR
Underwater Camera

So I'm taking the tribe to Belize for a much deserved (for me, anyway) spring vacation and was wondering about an underwater camera to take snorkeling. I'm looking at the GoPro Hero6 with filter, Sony TX30, and Olympus tough TG-5. For every good review I read there is an equally bad one. Any input?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
After several dives with GoPros, I’ve decided they suck. Picked up a SeaLife DC1400 on Craigslist last time I was in Hawaii for $125 and it’s awesome. GoPro has such a wide angle, I was always disappointed when looking at the pics and video after. They’re hard to keep steady too while you’re swimming.

Any deticated underwater point and shoot will take much better video and pics, especially SeaLife with its built in filters etc.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6QUJ48...detail_1?psc=1
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
How about one of these bad boys? Lol.
Attached Images

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-21-2018, 10:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
So I'm taking the tribe to Belize for a much deserved (for me, anyway) spring vacation and was wondering about an underwater camera to take snorkeling. I'm looking at the GoPro Hero6 with filter, Sony TX30, and Olympus tough TG-5. For every good review I read there is an equally bad one. Any input?
I do have a camera and have had decent success with it. I did not want to spend 400 on a gopro, 200 on red filters and other accessories.

So I bought this camera (with the wifi). I can tell you that the wifi file transfer is SLOWWWW, but that would be true on any other camera and my recommendation is to pull your card and x-fer to a laptop.

edit: Camera is rated to ~100 ft, but mine has been to 130 without issue.

https://sjcam.com/product/sj5000/

I bought a generic Ikelite red filter (I believe it’s a 3’ diameter) for about $65. The filter is looped throughso if (when) it falls off the camera I won’t lose it.

The quality of the video is as good as a go-pro and I am in the camera for under $250 – camera, filter, memory cards, stick and carrying case...

For the best results, I stopped taking still pics, I just crab screen shots from my videos. The video quality is excellent.

Here’s a couple for you to see:

Old 02-21-2018, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
I do have a camera and have had decent success with it. I did not want to spend 400 on a gopro, 200 on red filters and other accessories.

So I bought this camera (with the wifi). I can tell you that the wifi file transfer is SLOWWWW, but that would be true on any other camera and my recommendation is to pull your card and x-fer to a laptop.

edit: Camera is rated to ~100 ft, but mine has been to 130 without issue.

https://sjcam.com/product/sj5000/

I bought a generic Ikelite red filter (I believe it’s a 3’ diameter) for about $65. The filter is looped throughso if (when) it falls off the camera I won’t lose it.

The quality of the video is as good as a go-pro and I am in the camera for under $250 – camera, filter, memory cards, stick and carrying case...

For the best results, I stopped taking still pics, I just crab screen shots from my videos. The video quality is excellent.

Here’s a couple for you to see:

Awesome pics! Thanks for the info! One question since you seem to be our resident diving expert. Would I need a filter for this camera at snorkeling depths?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
Awesome pics! Thanks for the info! One question since you seem to be our resident diving expert. Would I need a filter for this camera at snorkeling depths?
I would. Remember in grade school - Mr. Roy G. Biv? That’s the order you lost color in as you go deeper (darker)… Red, orange, yellow, green, blue indigo and violet… If you were only down 10 ft depth @ high noon, sun blazing down, I would bet you could capture decent color without a filter. If it was 7 PM, sun is setting, or if you had an overcast day, or if you had murkier waters than normal with a lot particles suspended, your colors will come in less. It’s completely dependent upon the depth of where the sunlight penetrates (and water clarity).

As far as that SeaLife Cam, maybe my bro in law has had some bad luck, but he’s flooded 2 of them now. If you do not know how to take UW pics, I think you’d be biting off a little more than you want with the Sealife. Adding a flash to the mix complicates things significantly. If the flash is built into the camera, you’ll definitely fail bc you’re going to illuminate every suspended particle – that’s called ‘back scatter…’ So if you had the sea life, I would say you really need an external strobe – add several $100… BiL’s setup was close to $1000.

Let me dig a few more pics up. The 2 pics I posted were not 100 ft down or anything... I’ll show you pics with and without a filter.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

These pics were 50-60 ft down in Belize, with a sea life - no flash, no filter:

=============

These pics were with my SJ Cam 5000 in Cozumel at the same depths with a red filter:

Green Moray:

Small goliath grouper:

'big' seahorse:

Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 ProStar 205
I have the tx30. Great camera. It’s really small:easy to carry, easy to hit the touchscreen also. Takes great pictures in low light. Underwater shots and video are great. I use it for snorkel and while on the boat.

For scuba, I might look at something else.