Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Lick Skier View Post
Have you ever had any play in the steering left and right just before the wheel hooks up with the cable? I am wondering if there is some wear in the helm also...thanks
Yes
John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-15-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I did the full rebuild on a Malibu Response a couple years back. Did the rack, the helm tilt and the cable all at the same time. Really made a difference, zero play in the tilt which was really loose and it tightened up the slop in the steering wheel.

I will say adding the additional components upped the difficulty level a couple more notches. Not that any of it was all that difficult but there's a lot more to it. Part of it was my fault as I didn't pay enough attention to how original rack was mounted to the helm. I spent about hour and a half pulling everything out and reassembling it only to find out that when I turned the steering wheel to the right the rudder turned left. Turned out the rack can be mounted above or below the pinion and mine, from the factory was below. I ended up having to pull everything back out so I could flip the rack over then reassemble. What should have taken me that hour an a half took me all morning.

Lesson learned was take pictures (they're free these days you know), mock up the installation and be sure you have everything installed as it was originally before buttoning things up.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Prostar
I agree that taking a picture before you disassemble something is pretty important. Anybody have anything else to add before I start the project of replacing the steering cable on my 91 prostar? Many thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Lick Skier View Post
I agree that taking a picture before you disassemble something is pretty important. Anybody have anything else to add before I start the project of replacing the steering cable on my 91 prostar? Many thanks!
There are assembly diagrams available for each helm type.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-15-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:48 PM
TT Newbie

I saw a video on you tube of someone that had the steering wheel out of line after he was finished changing the cable...he then took the steering wheel off and reset it...it seemed to look pretty simple if that happened correctly...thoughts?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 PM
MC Master Poster

good luck

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
This is how I set the ones I've done up.....

With the cable run and reconnected turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns of the wheel. Divide this number in half, you now have the number of turns to center the steering rack. Now turn the steering wheel to the center position. At this point I like to mark the center position on the steering wheel for reference later by putting some tape at the top of the steering wheel. Don't worry about where the spokes of the wheel are aligned now, we'll take care of that later.

Next we're going to center the rudder. If you followed my advise from my previous post you should have taken pictures at both the rack and at the clamping block. You should have also measured the exposed threaded portion of the cable at clamping block and set the new cable to this length to get the rudder close. Loosen the clamping block and move the cable forward or back to adjust the rudder so that it is straight.

You now have the rack centered lock to lock and the rudder has now also been adjusted so that's it's centered. All that's left is centering the steering wheel. This is going to be different based on the steering wheel you have. Some have a key way, others have splines and others have screws that attach the wheel to the hub. The way I've center the wheel is by just removing it and turning it so that the spokes on the wheel are centered as I've found this to be the easiest way to accomplish this task. You can however also loosen the steering pinion mounting bolts on the rack, then separate the pinion from the rack enough to turn the wheel pinion without moving the rack. With the two separated turn the wheel until it's centered then lower the wheel pinion back on the rack and re-tighten the bolts. The only steering wheel I needed to use this method on was a steering wheel with a key way and that was a looooong time ago. I believe almost everything out there now a days uses a spline shaft.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:17 PM
TT Newbie

Don't think my 91 is rack and pinion but I suppose the concept of alignment is basically the same. Thanks bturner and waterlogged