Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-26-2018, 03:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 CSX 220
Driveshaft retainer nut is destroyed

So I changed the coupler on the transmission side (ZF Hurth) because the seal as bad and leaking some tranny oil. The coupler was worn so I spent a month waiting for Hurth to send one.

This morning it was a beautiful day and we had been wakesurfing for around a hour when I put the boat in reverse and had some gear grinding. I was pretty sure it was the nut on the tranny coupling that came loose, but instead it was the nut on the drive shaft side (that I should have checked while the coupleing was loose. But the nut was not losse, it was demolished, no tread left at all. That and the coupleing had about a 1/4 inch of splines stripped away. I believe the drive shaft is good (might have to rethread the first few threads) but could use some advice. So in the morning I will try to order the coupling (thank god itís not from Hurth) and the nut.
Attached Images

2007 CSX 220.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Is that a 1 1/8 drive shaft, I have a used OEM Coupling & nut, might also have a drive shaft depends on length. Can PM me...Live in Michigan.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Measure the depth of the splines in the coupler and compare that with the length of the splines on the shaft- the coupler splines can't be as long because it needs to fit the tapered shoulder.

I don't know how that nut could be original- it would never shear the thread that way under normal use and the splines don't look like they're distorted from some kind of impact.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 CSX 220
Mastercraft dealer said they only sale the whole driveshaft with coupler and nut on it (61” x 1 1/8). I guess it will be a few weeks until I’m on the water again.

2007 CSX 220.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
I just replaced the entire shaft and coupler last summer. Back in 2002, the shafts did not have a hole thru them on the transmission side so a cotter pin could keep the nut from backing off. Mine would back off a little each summer until finally it worm out the coupler and you would get about 10 deg of slop between the prop shaft and the coupler when the boat went into gear. The new prop shaft came with a hole on both ends to run a cotter pin thru. On the transmission side, the nut was a castle nut so the cotter pin kept the nut from backing off. No more problems. Piss poor design back in 2002.

Tags
csx, driveshaft