Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-05-2017, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Burning rubber smell at 1800 RPM and higher on 08 MCX?

I had a burning rubber smell coming from under the engine cover on my 08 MCX this past weekend whenever I would hit 1800RPM and higher but nothing at idle speed. My temp was holing steady at 160, oil pressure was fine and no bells or whistles or smoke for all that matter. The smell seemed to come from the backside of the engine and I am thinking it may have been one of the exhaust hoses (3 or 4 inch) coming off the cat and leading down to the exhaust pipe. With the engine running, the port side hose did not budge but the starboard side would shake and at one point was slightly compressed when the engine was off, as if someone were squeezing it.

So, has anyone had one of these hoses fail and if so does this describe the symptoms prior to failure? Any other ideas?
I would think these hoses should always remain very rigid and maybe one has just broken down.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
There is definitely a potential issue with the MCX and exhaust hoses. Check this thread out for more info:

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=67725

I ordered new hose and plan to re-plumb mine this winter. No problems yet, but don't plan to wait for it to fail.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:55 PM
MC Devotee

Good call and thanks for the info. This looks and sounds like the likely culprit and a great winter project. Just odd that I have not had any overheating issues and/or problems up to this point
Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
MC Devotee

So, I got the re-plumb kit and tore into everything this weekend. I found where my rubber burning smell was coming from as the very top of the vertical exhaust hose coming off the starboard side was blistered and burned on the inside. It wasn't a very big area, maybe 1 inch but clear enough to create the smell and would have failed had it gone much further.
I have not gotten the boat back on the water yet to test and I am hoping that the re-plumb handles the problem and that a larger blockage type issue is not causing this. I ran water thru the hoses and had it coming out the exhaust so fingers crossed that this takes care of it.

For anyone who is going to do this I will say to be careful with the plastic threaded 90's that go into the manifold and into the CAT as it does not take much to snap them (yes, I snapped 2 off). If your hoses are like mine (original), then just do yourself a favor and cut a slit in them at the fitting to help break them free as the hoses are getting replaced anyways. Tugging, pulling and twisting has a bad result!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
So, I got the re-plumb kit and tore into everything this weekend. I found where my rubber burning smell was coming from as the very top of the vertical exhaust hose coming off the starboard side was blistered and burned on the inside. It wasn't a very big area, maybe 1 inch but clear enough to create the smell and would have failed had it gone much further.
I have not gotten the boat back on the water yet to test and I am hoping that the re-plumb handles the problem and that a larger blockage type issue is not causing this. I ran water thru the hoses and had it coming out the exhaust so fingers crossed that this takes care of it.

For anyone who is going to do this I will say to be careful with the plastic threaded 90's that go into the manifold and into the CAT as it does not take much to snap them (yes, I snapped 2 off). If your hoses are like mine (original), then just do yourself a favor and cut a slit in them at the fitting to help break them free as the hoses are getting replaced anyways. Tugging, pulling and twisting has a bad result!
Hope you got it figured out. I told you those hoses where a batch to get off. I'm still paying for it. Yesterday would have been a great weekend to test it. Beautiful days...

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post

Good work Jeff, hope this fixes it!!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Another great job by the Polish Slalom Master! Good luck and please knock $600 off my offer on your boat, I wanted original fittings. 🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Should the replumbing kit be done.I have 503 hrs on my mcx
Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike koen View Post
Should the replumbing kit be done.I have 503 hrs on my mcx
Check out the thread I linked above. Indmar recommends the re-plumb kit even if you aren't having problems.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Nice job Jeff, but I'm am quite certain that Josh actually made the repair.