Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 AM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 52
351 EI conversion

Hello

Quick question, I just ordered a pertronix ignitor 2 part number 91582 and a flamethrower coil for my 88 falcon ( I know not MC but this forum is the best).

Reading the instructions it says it recommends removing the ballast resistor.

Has anyone installed one of these ?
Is this neccessary?

It's easy enough to do but just wanted to make sure it's necessary before I remove it and splice the wires .

Thanks


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2018, 12:32 PM
paco_06's Avatar
paco_06 paco_06 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Location: southeast
Posts: 1,946
Piece of cake to install as long as you have the right part. Just read the directions, ei plate should install one way for left hand engine and another for right hand rotation. And yes, use the flame thrower coil and bypass the resistor. All that needs to be fine for that is attach both wires on the same side of the resistor. You'll need to check timing after install. Whole job takes 15 minutes tops.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2018, 01:48 PM
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 12,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88falcon View Post
Hello

Quick question, I just ordered a pertronix ignitor 2 part number 91582 and a flamethrower coil for my 88 falcon ( I know not MC but this forum is the best).

Reading the instructions it says it recommends removing the ballast resistor.

Has anyone installed one of these ?
Is this neccessary?

It's easy enough to do but just wanted to make sure it's necessary before I remove it and splice the wires .

Thanks


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have installed several. An easy fix.

You do not have to remove the resistor. I typically leave the resistor in place and use a jumper wire to jump the two posts together, serving the same objective. Your call.

.
__________________
John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 52
Thanks much !
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Piece of cake to install as long as you have the right part. Just read the directions, ei plate should install one way for left hand engine and another for right hand rotation. And yes, use the flame thrower coil and bypass the resistor. All that needs to be fine for that is attach both wires on the same side of the resistor. You'll need to check timing after install. Whole job takes 15 minutes tops.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 PM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 52
Yeah this is what I'll probably do , thanks for the response !
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I have installed several. An easy fix.

You do not have to remove the resistor. I typically leave the resistor in place and use a jumper wire to jump the two posts together, serving the same objective. Your call.

.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2018, 01:31 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 17,507
I have this ignition in my 77 S&S. Even simpler than a jumper wire across the ballast resistor is to put all the connections onto one post of the ballast resistor.
And donít forget to check the timing. It usually needs a tweak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 PM
alw65029 alw65029 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Boat: Mastercraft, S&S, 1985, 351
Location: Midwest
Posts: 12
As stated, just follow the easy directions. When looking at ballast resister at the rear of engine take the wire off the left side and move it to right side of resister making contact with power going into resister thereby eliminating the resister and completing the circuit without a resister.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 AM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 52
Thank you Mrmastercraft . Which ballast resistor are they referring to ? The one located on the front of the motor near the coil ? Or the one on the back of the motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I have this ignition in my 77 S&S. Even simpler than a jumper wire across the ballast resistor is to put all the connections onto one post of the ballast resistor.
And donít forget to check the timing. It usually needs a tweak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:36 AM
paco_06's Avatar
paco_06 paco_06 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Location: southeast
Posts: 1,946
There should only be one resistor..... Rear of engine in the middle on top of intake near the starter solenoid. Distributor in front of carb and coil horizontal to the left of carb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88falcon View Post
Thank you Mrmastercraft . Which ballast resistor are they referring to ? The one located on the front of the motor near the coil ? Or the one on the back of the motor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 17,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
There should only be one resistor..... Rear of engine in the middle on top of intake near the starter solenoid. Distributor in front of carb and coil horizontal to the left of carb.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk


Should look like this with a purple wire going from it to the coil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.


2018