Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 11:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '02 X-star
New to me - '02 Xstar

Recently purchased my first MC, an '02 X star, that I bought from the original owner and has right at 400 hours on it. I am coming from a '94 Malibu Echelon LX so this is quite an upgrade in technology and storage space!

There's a few little items that I need to tend to:

- Fuel gauge reads full constantly. Previous owner replaced the gauge with a new one and is getting the same result so its likely time to replace the sending unit.

- ballast pumps are working randomly. With a flip of the switch you can hear a whirring but the tanks do not fill or empty. I'm guessing I need to inspect and replace the impellers on each of the pumps

- Servo motor on the prefect pass is evidently seized and no longer working. I've seen some threads on here about rebuilding the servo motor but it doesn't appear that a replacement is terribly expensive so I may go that route just for simplicity.

- Hull is pretty faded on one side and is going to need a good polish job

Currently the boat has 2 amps, an Alpine MRP-T130 (50w x 2) which is driving the 2 stock clarion tower speakers and a Clarion APX400.4M (50w x 4) which is driving the 4 in-boats and the sub....and you can barely hear the sub. The 4 in boats are on the front channels and the sub is on the rear channels which are bridged.

I have a pair of Kicker KM8's / rockville MAC80S enclosures that I salvaged from my old boat that I would like add to the tower and I will likely swap out the current clarion speakers and enclosures for a pair of KM654's / MAC65's just for appearance and continuity. We mainly use the tower for floating and swimming in coves etc. The existing alpine amp won't support this so I am looking to replace it with a 5 or 6 channel class D amp. That way I can move the sub off of the APX400.4 and let it power the in boats.

I've recently replaced the clarion m5675 head unit with a newer M508 bluetooth unit. I wanted to be able to maintain the use of the existing wired remotes (through the use of a CCUMRA1 adapter) and add bluetooth for streaming spotify. The swap was plug and play too as clarion maintained the same 16pin harness plug. The M508 also has a set of RCA outs that are a separate zone from the main volume and 4v pre-amps which are nice features. With the separate zone I was thinking of using a Wetsounds WW-L (or similar) volume control, mounting it through the metal plate under the stereo remote to the right of the driver. Has anyone mounted a volume knob in that location? Seems like a natural fit but I have not looked to see what is behind there yet. Whats the best path from going from the storage behind the spotter to the helm? I have seen some posts that reference a channel that runs between the two sides but I haven't located it myself yet. Is it better to just run the RCA's around the bow (much longer run though)?

I also purchased a Blue Sea 7650 add a battery kit and a group 24 dual purpose starting /deep cycle battery. My plan is to move all of the stereo equipment to the 2nd battery and leave everything else as is. The positive lead running the current battery has the clamp type end for a post / SAE terminal. Are people cutting this off and putting a new end on it? Running a whole new wire and terminal to the starter? Using a battery stud / terminal adapter and then running a new wire up to the switch?

oh yeah, pictures

I need to take more pictures of it on the water apparently
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 XStar. LTR
I have an 00 star with fusion head unit and remote under the drivers side. I actually made a light gauge plate to attach the remote to the underside of the dash by the drivers right knee. Works well. We ran the connection thru the bow as there were already cords for sub there (I had the sub in an enclosure under the dashboard by the driver but have since moved it to back in the spotter cubby) and it was not a long run. We also added the same fusion remote on the transom to control the head unit when you are hangin out in the water. We donít use it much. My boat is currently up with my son at CSU so canít send pics right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 04:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X1
I have an 07 205v. Not sure if everything is exactly the same, but my fuel guage always read between 3/4 and full. I figured out it had a little adjustment knob, now it works pretty good.

I also had some issues with my ballast. If you have timers you should get them reprogrammed. Mine work great now. I'd also check your impellars to see what shape they're in and what color they are. IIRC the green one's are the best.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2018, 04:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilcox11 View Post
I have an 07 205v. Not sure if everything is exactly the same, but my fuel guage always read between 3/4 and full. I figured out it had a little adjustment knob, now it works pretty good.

I also had some issues with my ballast. If you have timers you should get them reprogrammed. Mine work great now. I'd also check your impellars to see what shape they're in and what color they are. IIRC the green one's are the best.

what is this adjust knob you speak off????
Old 07-03-2018, 07:22 PM
MC Fanatic

It was actually a little set screw. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
theres a bunch of threads on here about the level sensors.
if you have the centroid sensor capacitive sensor some were adjustable and you can do it by powering it up and jumpering it at full/empty. if you do a search on here there are threads with links to the procedure. this seems to be a common complaint from these years. our 04 x9 has a moeller/centroid sensor that reads a bit high as well. the capacitive senors are generally a pain...

but first get back there and confirm if its a centroid (or moeller) unit.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

I think that little yellow screw is what i adjusted. I was getting ready to replace the sending unit I figured that out.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Congrats and welcome!

A random orbit polisher like the Porter Cable 7424xp, some foam cutting pads from chemicalguys.com, and some compound will take care of that oxidation on your gel coat. There are threads on here that go into detail on that. Just search for wet sanding, polishing, or oxidation and you should find them pretty easily.

The fuel gage on mine doesn’t work, either (always reads full). I haven’t bothered trying to fix it. I just gas up every outing. The fuel pump on these have a bad track record, and one of the things recommended to avoid issues is to keep at least a half tank as much as possible. Somehow that supposedly keeps the fuel pump from overheating. I haven’t had an issue with mine yet.

For ballast pump, you probably just need new impellers. The orange or green ones from WakeMakers.com will be your best bet on those.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Part of the fuel gauge isssue is the tank runs the down the centerline front to back with the sender in the very back. The fuel level will stay higher at the back of the tank due to the natural slope in the boat when sitting in the water or underway. Tank really only begins to show less then full when about at a 2/3ds full as front of tank will be low and back will be full to the top. Itmdoes shift somewhat forward when sitting in the water. If you run it down to 1/4 tank on the needle while underway and stop, sometimes it won’t restart as tank is almost empty and gas level moves forward uncovering the fuel pickup. Ask me how I know....
Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '02 X-star
I mentioned I'd like to add a volume knob for my tower speakers and I was thinking of putting it under the clarion remote near the helm. Whats the best way to get access to the back side? Remove the entire panel? It looks like the remote's bracket pinches the panel and not the plate?