Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 07-21-2018, 01:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrdnbrg88 View Post
I would say that is a scam ad. That pic was taken from this ad on Only Inboards which has been posted for about a year:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1989-Ma...ton-45048.aspx
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Looking for a 1998 30th Anniversary S&S
Hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelu View Post
Beautiful boat.
I have reached out to the owner of this boat, but is anyone on here from the Denver area familiar with this boat?
Also, I have never purchased through Craig's list and would love some pointers from those who have.

Finally, if I do purchase this boat, any recommendations on a good shipper?

Thanks for any advice.
Rich
Ok, let me know if I am out of bounds on this as I am new to responding to a Craigslist ad.

I reached out to the owner as stated above to send additional pictures other than those included in his ad (since the pictures included did not give me a good idea about the condition of the boat, in my opinion).
The seller obliged and sent me additional pictures and I decided it was worth going out to see the boat in person. I let him know as much and he asked me to send him a copy of my ticket purchase confirmation. I thought this might be a little odd, but he mentioned that if I did this he would be obliged to hold the boat and not sell it until I had the opportunity to see it and decide. OK I thought and did this.
Next he sends me an Email asking how I was planning to pay and ship the boat. Legit questions I thought and let him know that I was going to contact a shipper to find out the delivery details (i.e. lead times and how long to deliver).
I then also informed him that I was planning to put the money in an escrow account and that he could get the money wired or have the escrow company send him a check. He asks why I can't just pay cash or cashiers check. To which I replied I was not comfortable traveling with that much cash on me and I also did not want to carry a cashier's check as there is always some chance that it gets misplaced, etc.
He continued to insist on either cash or a cashier's check.

Needless to say, I am not planning to travel carrying cash or a cashier's check.

Am I just completely out of bounds here? I didn't think so .... thoughts?

Rich
Old 07-22-2018, 06:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelu View Post
Ok, let me know if I am out of bounds on this as I am new to responding to a Craigslist ad.

I reached out to the owner as stated above to send additional pictures other than those included in his ad (since the pictures included did not give me a good idea about the condition of the boat, in my opinion).
The seller obliged and sent me additional pictures and I decided it was worth going out to see the boat in person. I let him know as much and he asked me to send him a copy of my ticket purchase confirmation. I thought this might be a little odd, but he mentioned that if I did this he would be obliged to hold the boat and not sell it until I had the opportunity to see it and decide. OK I thought and did this.
Next he sends me an Email asking how I was planning to pay and ship the boat. Legit questions I thought and let him know that I was going to contact a shipper to find out the delivery details (i.e. lead times and how long to deliver).
I then also informed him that I was planning to put the money in an escrow account and that he could get the money wired or have the escrow company send him a check. He asks why I can't just pay cash or cashiers check. To which I replied I was not comfortable traveling with that much cash on me and I also did not want to carry a cashier's check as there is always some chance that it gets misplaced, etc.
He continued to insist on either cash or a cashier's check.

Needless to say, I am not planning to travel carrying cash or a cashier's check.

Am I just completely out of bounds here? I didn't think so .... thoughts?

Rich
I sell Jeeps as a hobby, and itís absolutely cash or nothing. 12k fits in a small shipping envelope.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
cash for a pink slip...........period.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I agree with seller. Everything else is a hassle. You need to find way to make it work.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'd be done with you as soon as you said escrow account. Escrow account has been the code word for scammer since Ebay was started. Assuming you're going to look at the boat in person and you have a bank account, go look at the boat, wire the money to his account while you're there or make arrangements with you're local bank to have the cash ready at a local branch in the area the boat is located. But you say you're with a local credit union? They also have agreements with other credit unions to do the same.

Bottom line $12K is just not that much money these days. I personally would expect cash for that transaction and would happily go with you to your bank to get said cash.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'd be done with you as soon as you said escrow account. Escrow account has been the code word for scammer since Ebay was started. Assuming you're going to look at the boat in person and you have a bank account, go look at the boat, wire the money to his account while you're there or make arrangements with you're local bank to have the cash ready at a local branch in the area the boat is located. But you say you're with a local credit union? They also have agreements with other credit unions to do the same.

Bottom line $12K is just not that much money these days. I personally would expect cash for that transaction and would happily go with you to your bank to get said cash.
I agree with this. I'd be fine with a wire transfer or cash. Although the last 2 boats I sold were different. Both to TT members, so there was a comfort level, and I took a personal check for one, and a bank check for the other. I had also spoken to each extensively on the phone.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 prostar 190
2014 x2 with only 80 hours in San Fran for $52k. No 7” screen, ZFT4 or gen 2 though.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...650677173.html
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008, PS 197, LY6
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Set up a paypal account. Drop 12k into it. Travel to see the boat. If you like it and want it transfer the funds (for free) and be done with it. Otherwise the 12k simply sits in your account.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Agree with the others, cashiers check. If you want to leave some negotiation room, get a cashiers for $10k and then carry another $2k. Then, if you find some things that are going to cost you, you have some flexibility.

I'm 60 miles south of Denver so if you need any help, let me know.

In craigslist, one of them looked a little rougher than the other (if I recall).

1994 205, LT1

Tags
board rack, for sale, free, hyperlight, mastercraft xstar 2008, oakley wrap, perfect pass, timer, tower speakers, trailer, x star 2008