Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X15, 1997 Prostar LT1
CMD5 fade issues (I think)

Have a CMD5 head unit going into 2 amps. One amp is a Kicker KX800.5 which powers cabin speakers and sub. The other amp is a JL M2150, which runs tower speakers. All was working fine Saturday, Sunday we went out and had a baby on board, and used fader to adjust sound out of cabin. After the baby left adjusted fader back, so here is the head scratcher. The tower speakers barely put out sound now. Cabin speakers work great, itís the tower speakers that are an issue. Of course turned fader back and forth to no avail. Amp powers up. Iíve heard you can check voltage on the RCA outputs to see if power is runnng to them. I tried that but with known working RCA outputs, I canít get any type of reading. My thoughts were to see if the voltage outputs from the head unit for the cabin amps were different as a way to check if fader in the head unit is somehow stuck. The display on head unit says ďcenterĒ, but I wanted to check Thinking there is some internal mechanism that would cause it to not work versus relying on the display.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated before making an appointment and having to drive 4 hours to a respectable radio shop for what could be an easy DIY fix.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is the testing I completed:

One set of rca outputs from head unit goes to cabin, one set goes to tower. Switched those around thinking if the output to towers speakers is bad, then when I switched them, cabin speakers would not work, and tower speakers would work. After the switch was made, the problem was the same; tower speakers arenít working. So my thinking is the head unit outputs for front(Tower) and rear(cabin) are working as should.

So with that test completed, now my thinking is bad amp. I disconnected the head unit rca inputs to amp and disconnected the tower speakers. (One amp powers the tower speakers only.) I hooked up a test speaker to amp on same channel as the tower speakers were on. I then connected my iPhone into the amp with rca plugs. Played music on iPhone and the test speaker works great.

So now my thought process tells me, the amp is fine, and either a bad rca cable that runs from head unit to amp is bad or speaker wire from amp to tower speakers has a fault.

I checked continuity of rca cable from head unit connection to amp connection and that checked out ok. So I disconnected my iPhone, plugged the head unit rca cable back into amp, and left test speaker connected to amp. No sound! Ok, thinking the continuity test I previously did somehow backfired, I installed a known working rca cable to head unit and amp. Still no sound.

Iím at a loss.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboj View Post
Here is the testing I completed:

One set of rca outputs from head unit goes to cabin, one set goes to tower. Switched those around thinking if the output to towers speakers is bad, then when I switched them, cabin speakers would not work, and tower speakers would work. After the switch was made, the problem was the same; tower speakers arenít working. So my thinking is the head unit outputs for front(Tower) and rear(cabin) are working as should.

So with that test completed, now my thinking is bad amp. I disconnected the head unit rca inputs to amp and disconnected the tower speakers. (One amp powers the tower speakers only.) I hooked up a test speaker to amp on same channel as the tower speakers were on. I then connected my iPhone into the amp with rca plugs. Played music on iPhone and the test speaker works great.

So now my thought process tells me, the amp is fine, and either a bad rca cable that runs from head unit to amp is bad or speaker wire from amp to tower speakers has a fault.

I checked continuity of rca cable from head unit connection to amp connection and that checked out ok. So I disconnected my iPhone, plugged the head unit rca cable back into amp, and left test speaker connected to amp. No sound! Ok, thinking the continuity test I previously did somehow backfired, I installed a known working rca cable to head unit and amp. Still no sound.

Iím at a loss.
Iím sorry I donít have a solution and I hope you can figure it out. If not, Iím in search of a fader knob for my CMD5. They are no longer made. I will buy from you and would be super stoked if you would do that. I just bought my CMD5 used and kids lost a knob within a month.

Best of luck fixing it!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Iíll keep you in mind, but I hope I can find the problem.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Is this what your looking for? Not exactly sure of the dimensions though.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2018, 03:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboj View Post
Is this what your looking for? Not exactly sure of the dimensions though.
If it is a knob from the fade/treble/bass then yes. This the the part from an old guide. And also a pic of my stereo. It’s the fader knobs on Clarion CDM4 and CDM5.

Thank you for asking.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Looks a bit different.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Still trying to find this issue. The M2150 has an input sensitivity adjustment, and since I didn’t do any testing with this adjustment, thought this might be the culprit. Something might have somehow hit it. Unfortunately for me, this wasn’t the issue.

I can get sound from the tower speakers, but it is faint.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 XT23
Plug into your rca’s coming from the head unit with your meter and turn the volume up and see if your getting a voltage.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

That’s something I tried to begin, and again tried it at your suggestion, but I can’t get any voltage readings. Female rca is at the head unit, and I’ve tried probing that end with no luck, then connecting a male/male extension and testing that as well, but still can’t any reading. As a note, I tried all rca outputs from head unit and couldn’t get a reading on any of them.