Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-12-2016, 03:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
MDC problems, is boat protected

last year I sold my previous boat to a friend, 2002 prostar 197 team. All of the sudden the gauges are not working (temp, oil pressure, voltage,etc.) Suspect MDC (get power to it, but nothing out.). Curious though, until we get it fixed, does it still have the internal protection (alarms, going into limp mode etc) or is that controlled by by the MDC as well. I would think that might be in the ECM.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5 "Red Five"
I believe that the alarms are independent of the MDC. The MDC just takes the signal and pushes it to the gauges enabling a "quick" connector to the gauge.

Time to swap those gauges? I know that my fuel gauge was wrong, oil pressure was nil, temp was creeping up and tach was dead. Now with new Faria gauges and MDC eliminated, all are working correctly with the same sensors!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
thanks. its not like he is going to run it for months without fixing it. just a few times until he can get it fixed (and decide how.)
I am not against new technology but I really don't understand the point of this device. It costs as much as all the gauges put together and seems as if works just like a junction box other than it scales all the voltages making the devices more difficult to trouble shoot. Instead of measuring at sending unit and at the gauge, you need to measure sending unit, into MDC, out of MDC, into gauge, and know what the conversion should be in and out of the MDC. If there is some real benefit to this thing, somebody let me know because I am not seeing it.

If it was scaling it to lower non-sparking voltage (milivolts) that would be safer or something I would understand. But scaling 12volts to 7 has me struggling to see the benefit.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
see replacing the gauges without the MDC... you can run without gauges.. but your MCOD will not like it!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5 "Red Five"
My issue was that all my gauges were cracked and most were inoperative so I was looking at new gauges at a minimum! Now I have gauges with a lifetime warranty and they look great too!!

Tags
electrical, mdc