Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
^^^^This.
A spun rod bearing does not = a long block replacement.
x2

but from a dealership perspective - and true for car dealers as well - theyve got every incentive to replace entire assemblies rather than taking the time to tear down and rebuild.
its much easier to charge for the full new assembly, swap over engine accessories and drop it into the boat

crappy situation, no doubt, but its possible it was just "one of the bad ones"

definitely rebuild if you can, really no reason to trash an entire block over a spun rod bearing (unlikely to even need to toss the crank even!)

hope it works out!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 07 xstar
low oil alarm? could be a glitch in the warning system, was there any knocking sounds, what was the oil pressure at the time?
somethings not adding up on this one
Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x10
i just had this discussion with my dealer. they do not rebuild engines anymore even though they have a mechanic who is fully capable. any major engine failure get's a new jasper engine for two reasons. it's much quicker and the jasper engine comes with several years of warranty. i am certain that it was much less than 9k. was the 9k for an ilmor engine? maybe ask about a jasper.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I would go talk to Ilmor myself ... look on LinkedIn or other places to find the VP of customer support and start there ... no way that should have happened with 150 hours

Good luck ... please let us know how it goes
Old 12-12-2017, 08:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
The oil pump pickup gasket will/can fail on LS engines. whoever tears the engine apart I would definitely see if the o ring was damaged
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
I would go talk to Ilmor myself ... look on LinkedIn or other places to find the VP of customer support and start there ... no way that should have happened with 150 hours

Good luck ... please let us know how it goes
X2. Give corporate at call. Their customer support has always been fantastic.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- For Sale
Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I would at least go to the dealer and take a look at what he has out and what is wrong take some pictures of it... Maybe the oil pick up tube fell out.. but man from what you say, even if it did, I find it difficult to believe any damage at all... I have run motors with out oil pressure longer than you did and little if no damage.. they were not a v8's but still... just seems odd...

this is the second one of these...
Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Please provide more detail. What did they do to determine this?
In order to see it, your engine has to be out sitting on a stand with the oil pan and rod/main caps removed.
Check out the other persons similar issue with X15 on here last week to see some pertinent questions and evidence needed to diagnose and fix this.

Sorry you’re having problems but like was said, there’s a good likely hood that it doesn’t need a new engine.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
So heres an update on my situation. Yesterday a buddy of mine, who is a GM mechanic, insisted we go look at my motor because he couldn't believe this could happen to a GM motor with 156 hours on it. Once seeing the damage he was obviously shocked but agreed it had a major catastrophic event and because of this the motor can't be rebuilt. Here is what happened both confirmed by dealer and my buddy:
The front main bearing was spun which caused the main bearing cap to overheat and turn blue. It also damaged the crankshaft. Typically, when that happens the engine block is no good anymore.

The dealer has been in communication with Ilmor who has been "respective" to this point. My situation has been escalated up within Ilmor. The boat has been maintained at the dealer and they have sent all the service records with my yearly average hours between 20-22 a season. Not a lot because are so busy with kids sporting events. Everyone involved agrees that this should not have happened to this boat. Right now I am sitting tight waiting to hear what Ilmor comes back with. Once we hear their response that will dictate my next move. Its very frustrating due the fact that this boat is well maintained and cared for. We don't beat on it and unfortunately we haven't had much time to use it. I'm trusting Ilmor will stand behind their product and do the right thing.....We'll see.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC500mod View Post
i just had this discussion with my dealer. they do not rebuild engines anymore even though they have a mechanic who is fully capable. any major engine failure get's a new jasper engine for two reasons. it's much quicker and the jasper engine comes with several years of warranty. i am certain that it was much less than 9k. was the 9k for an ilmor engine? maybe ask about a jasper.
My dealer said the same thing plus he doesn't use Jasper engines anymore. Too many issues have come up and it's been major headaches for him and the owners. Plus he mentioned rebuilding the 6 liter has been troublesome more than the 5.7. If you google 6 liter GM motors and oil pressure issues its well documented..... Just a lousy situation.....