Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-25-2014, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1996 LT1 Corvette
1996 Maristar Engine Swap

This is my first post here at TeamTalk. I've been reading many posts over the past few weeks. I finally purchased the boat I've dreamed about since I was in college (1996 Maristar 225 VRS). This is the first Mastercraft I've owned and I'm stoked about it. I purchased the boat knowing it had engine issues. PO said it didn't have compression in one of the cylinders. I don't have a Mastercraft dealer near me so I'm working with my Chevy dealer since it has the LT1 motor in it.

It turns out that cylinder 6 has a horizontal crack in it. It appears this is already the second engine the boat has had. PO said the work was done before he owned it. The motor that is in it now is not a marine motor. The hour meter reads 160 hrs.

I'm purchasing a rebuilt 1995 LT1 from a guy who has all of the receipts. My question is what internal components am I going to want to exchange between the motors? To be honest I'm not sure if my current motor even has the right camshaft, but assuming it does what else is different between the marine and automotive engine? Head-gasket?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
you can swap it straight in, the internals and most likely camshaft is the same. Just put your accessories on it and enjoy
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Brass freeze plugs is something off the top of my head im thinking
Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
We just went through the same thing last year. We actually tore the "Marine" LT1 apart and checked part #'s on pistons, rods, crank, etc. and everything was the same down to the GM part numbers. We called Indmar and asked what they change to marinize it and they couldn't tell us anything.

We brought our old engine to the machine shop to be rebuilt but found that we had chipped part of the skirt on the block so we located another Corvette LT1 (4bolt main) and had that short block rebuilt, along with our original heads.

We even had them spec our original cam versus the Corvette LT1 cam and they were both within spec, our original cam failed for run-out so we used the Corvette one. We even have a Corvette waterpump on the boat.

Make sure that the LT1 you are buying is a 4 bolt main Corvette version though, the Camaro's, Impala's, and others were mostly 2 bolt mains.

Hope that helps
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
We just went through the same thing last year. We actually tore the "Marine" LT1 apart and checked part #'s on pistons, rods, crank, etc. and everything was the same down to the GM part numbers. We called Indmar and asked what they change to marinize it and they couldn't tell us anything.

We brought our old engine to the machine shop to be rebuilt but found that we had chipped part of the skirt on the block so we located another Corvette LT1 (4bolt main) and had that short block rebuilt, along with our original heads.

We even had them spec our original cam versus the Corvette LT1 cam and they were both within spec, our original cam failed for run-out so we used the Corvette one. We even have a Corvette waterpump on the boat.

Make sure that the LT1 you are buying is a 4 bolt main Corvette version though, the Camaro's, Impala's, and others were mostly 2 bolt mains.

Hope that helps
great post on the LT1. Additionally - use the marine ECU and Ignition... The Optispark street version distributor won't last -- if ya need a crank position sensor - Bruce at Action Water Sports can get them.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
great post on the LT1. Additionally - use the marine ECU and Ignition... The Optispark street version distributor won't last -- if ya need a crank position sensor - Bruce at Action Water Sports can get them.
Thanks Mike! I guess I should have mentioned that we re-used the intake manifold, ignition, etc.

The OptiSpark hates water... ask me how I know haha. My best friend has a '93 LT1 Camaro that we wrenched on for years in high school and now it has a turbocharged LS1 in it.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. I've heard talk about the cam being different in the Indmar lt1. I'm glad to hear it's not.

I'm sure I'll have more questions before this project is complete. I'll attach some pictures of the boat when I get a chance. Overall it's in good shape. It's driving me nuts not having it in the water.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:19 PM
TT Newbie

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409195928070.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  55.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409195963304.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409196001464.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  62.7 KB

My new baby!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Going though the same LT1 fun on my prostar 190 right now. Good luck with the install!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

The boat looks great, definitely a great project. Ours has been more fun than I could have imagined! Best of luck to you!

Tags
1996, corvette, lt1, maristar