Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Install

Installing my Faria depth finder and wondering if anyone knows what color wire to tap into on the ignition switch. Trying to check with the volt meter but its a pretty tight area behind the dash.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Pretty sure that you want the purple wire.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
Purple is correct, did it a couple weeks ago
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstorm View Post
Installing my Faria depth finder and wondering if anyone knows what color wire to tap into on the ignition switch. Trying to check with the volt meter but its a pretty tight area behind the dash.
Thanks in advance!
You could always use an accessory switch to power this since it could be shared with with whatever is on that switch and couldn't affect the ignition wire or whatever is connected to it. If the depth finder would ever have a reason to draw more current than normal, it could cause enough voltage drop that the engine might not start. Accessories have their own switches for a reason and the ignition wire is sized according to the OEM setup.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You could always use an accessory switch to power this since it could be shared with with whatever is on that switch and couldn't affect the ignition wire or whatever is connected to it. If the depth finder would ever have a reason to draw more current than normal, it could cause enough voltage drop that the engine might not start. Accessories have their own switches for a reason and the ignition wire is sized according to the OEM setup.
Hey Jim, i was thinking of goin this route. Never worked on the electrical on a boat. Are the accessory switches per-wired with power? If not what is the best way to bring power?

Thanks on the color guys! I was thinkin purple but wanted to confirm.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Hey Jim, i was thinking of goin this route. Never worked on the electrical on a boat. Are the accessory switches per-wired with power? If not what is the best way to bring power?

Thanks on the color guys! I was thinking purple but wanted to confirm.
If I'm creating an accessory power feed, I bring a dedicated wire (power and ground) from the battery with a fuse at the battery and cover it with split loom. If I want to use this for several things, I'll usually use 10ga and a fused distribution block under the dash, or wherever the accessories will be located. A fused distribution block can be about $10 and the rest shouldn't be much more than another $25.

10ga wouldn't apply for any kind of amplifier, though.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thank ya Jim! I'm left to drill a a small hole in the transom no larger than my pitot tube. What marine sealant should be used? I am making the hole the ame size as the cord so it will be a tight fit.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank ya Jim! I'm left to drill a a small hole in the transom no larger than my pitot tube. What marine sealant should be used? I am making the hole the ame size as the cord so it will be a tight fit.
Dp they have an option for a puck that would be glued to the hull, in the bilge? That's where MC and a lot of other boats have the sensor.

Silicone is fine- use a vacuum or compressed air to clear out any dust and wipe the gel coat with denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner or something like that before putting the silicone on.

Use a counter-sink BEFORE drilling any holes to keep the gel coat from popping out or peeling and always drill from the outside.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Like Jim said, don't drill through the boat, just glue it down in side the boat near the rear where that part of the outside of the hull will always be in contact with the water.

edit

If you got the type of transducer that is supposed to be bolted to the back of the boat send it back. Get one that is affixed to the inside of the boat. They are commonly called through-hull or in-hull transducers.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 08-26-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
I was looking at this one, sounds like cantrepeat would suggest it as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Faria-In-hull-...ll+transducers