Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar LY6, 2006 X-15 (gone)
I'm greedy I am at work. Sounds like a lot of people were there all night.....:-D Ohh to be that young again....

The NDSU bison should do well again today.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 MC View Post
I still struggle with that. Maybe a small stipend or "allowance" but what a can of worms that could open.
I know it's big-bucks college athletics and everyone should get their piece of the revenue pie, but if one of my kids were to get a college scholarship, I wouldn't expect a dollar more. Even conservatively that is a $80-100k value plus the college experience.
This could be a whole other thread....
I hear and understand what you are saying. If you get a full ride then you should be happy with that.

But, some of these kids play without a scholarship. That and the fact that schools are getting big money off the SA's backs. I think ALL SAs should be paid something. Even if it's just $250 a month that's fine.

The part about non rank teams getting air time is also a big deal. There is a radio personality talking about how these teams take their SAs into big markets just for the money. I think Florida Atlantic got paid over a million for the game with Alabama. The guy was running his pie hole about how they put these kids out there and let them get beat down for the money. I'm not an SA nor have I ever been one. I played a lot of sports in high school and I can only imagine how excited these kids are to play on TV against anyone. Its their 15 minutes and I would suggest they enjoy playing the game regardless. Sure everyone wants to be a winner, but just playing on national TV has to be a thrill.

Here it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/sp...case.html?_r=0

Just a judge's ruling at this point.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I hear and understand what you are saying. If you get a full ride then you should be happy with that.

But, some of these kids play without a scholarship. That and the fact that schools are getting big money off the SA's backs. I think ALL SAs should be paid something. Even if it's just $250 a month that's fine.

The part about non rank teams getting air time is also a big deal. There is a radio personality talking about how these teams take their SAs into big markets just for the money. I think Florida Atlantic got paid over a million for the game with Alabama. The guy was running his pie hole about how they put these kids out there and let them get beat down for the money. I'm not an SA nor have I ever been one. I played a lot of sports in high school and I can only imagine how excited these kids are to play on TV against anyone. Its their 15 minutes and I would suggest they enjoy playing the game regardless. Sure everyone wants to be a winner, but just playing on national TV has to be a thrill.

Here it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/sp...case.html?_r=0

Just a judge's ruling at this point.
Same. I couldn't have imagined walking into The Big House for football and playing against UM. Or going into Cameron Indoor and taking on the Dukies in hoops. I wouldn't care if we got beat by 50. What an absolute thrill. Athletes know where they stand against other athletes---there's a reason they're going to small schools instead of one of the Power 5---so I wouldn't feel too sorry for those smaller schools. And if their school gets a million dollars, that may be enough to cover all of the losses from all of the other athletic programs within that school losing money. I just would expect it be "non-profit" due to amateurism, and I know it's not.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
How about my Pirates of East Carolina University putting down Virginia Tech. After last weeks disappointing loss to South Carolina, which they should have won. Still proud of my Pirates.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I may still be drunk

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
This just in .... the Big Ten store in the Columbus Airport is getting re-modeled tomorrow ....

Maybe it will convert to a ACC Store? since Virginia Tech owned us? I cannot wait till the 5th week of the season when we realize VA Tech wasn't even that good ....

Long season coming for my Buckeyes .... did anyone mention that Urban is 1-3 in his last 4 games? I didn't.
I wrote this last week and I need to admit when I am wrong .... clearly we did not need to wait till the 5th week of the season to find out V.Tech was not THAT good .... which means we are not that good .... oh well.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."