Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-16-2018, 06:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Blue Sea 7650 Add-A-Battery

Has anyone used the Blue Sea 7650 to add a second battery? Does it work good?
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Yes.

Have that setup on my boat. Works like a lucky charm. Wouldn't trade it for another.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS
I have it as well and it works perfectly. takes the work out of dual batteries.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Been installing this setup for years.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing it. Are you simply moving the acc. leads from the start battery to the house battery? If I do that, will power for the stereo be drawn from the house battery with the key in acc. position?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm doing it. Are you simply moving the acc. leads from the start battery to the house battery? If I do that, will power for the stereo be drawn from the house battery with the key in acc. position?
In summary, yes. Accessory items pull from the house battery and you will have to wire the setup to suit your needs as well as the recommended guidelines that come with the unit (however they are vague). MLA knows everything that needs to be addressed or a number of others as well as a decade + long thread here started by Diesel in 2006. It covers a lot of ground.

Basically the switch is a manual override of the auto relay which fails open (power off) to isolate the batteries from draw, or it fails closed (to allow both batteries to take charge from the alternator while in operation).

When I am done for the day, I turn the switch to off and plug into pigtails, a NOCO battery monitor to each battery (separately). All power in the boat (dash, etc) is disconnected. I turn it to position one next time out. That closes the connection to the start battery and the relay controls the battery service. Position two would be to combine the batteries in the event the start may need attention. I have never used it in the five years I have has this installed.

I also have several photos to accommodate for conversation if you have an interest. I have likely posted several in the aforementioned thread.

It's not hard to do, just study the setup, plan it out, and do the wiring.

On the 93 Prostar, the battery was in the rear. I moved it up front under the judge's seat and added the second battery under the bow lifting ring (under the deck), then tied it all together with my driver being the preference of the battery location and the adjacent kick panel where I mounted the switch, relay, common ground bus, amp, etc.

Rockman did a really nice job on his by mounting all of that stuff to a board (wires in the back) then mounted that on standoffs to make the wires unseen. I opted to wire in the open to see the routing. His really looks nice.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
The IGN key simply wakes up the head unit, no actual current draw. I would actually consider relocating the head unit turn-on from the key switch to a rocker/toggle switch.

The actual stereo B+ supply should be tied to the amps' B+ or the helm BUS. So all stereo current would come off the new house bank.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 PM
MC Fanatic

This will be going on a 2005 197. I think it will be pretty simple. You are correct though, the installation directions are somewhat vague.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 AM
MC Devotee

They are very general. You sometimes have to read between the lines to figure out how their terminology translates to your system.

Even then, there are some things I do differently based on experience.