Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200VRS
Buying sight unseen?!

At the end of last summer, the wife and I sold our X-15 in thinking we would get into some rental real estate for a few years and back into the Mastercraft game once the properties picked up. Well, it didn’t last long haha and we have located our new MC. I’m in Charlotte and purchasing out of Ft Lauderdale.

Good news is, it’s a fellow TTer and I’ve followed a ton of his posts and feel confident in the “no salt use” and the overall condition. Boat has less than 70 hrs for a 2014, which could be a great or not-so-great feature, but is still under warranty. Through TT I’ve found the build pictures and posts about the boat itself. I’m fairly confident I’d be ok just pulling the trigger and having it shipped vs flying down and back to look it over. I’ve put in for offers on U-Ship for a flatbed service (no tow-away) to ease the stress on the trailer.

Any advice from anyone who’s shipped? Or purchase sight unseen?

And being a TTer for quite some time, I know threads are pointless without pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
I've been eyeing that boat for a few weeks. Got to be the sharpest MC I've ever seen. Congrats!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Great boat, solid TT’er, would not hesitate to buy this boat. MC Warranty provides you backup, it will need to be transferred by dealer and IIRC there is a $500 transfer fee. Also a solid model year with tremendous config and features.

I would only want to confirm no damage from Irma, cannot recall, just a friendly heads up.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
I've been eyeing that boat for a few weeks. Got to be the sharpest MC I've ever seen. Congrats!

I had seen the boat last Nov and thought it would be gone. Jumped on it immediately when I recently saw it, got all my stuff in order and decided to buy. Have had a few text convos and over the phone conversation and he seems to be a guy you wouldn’t mind buying from, for sure. I love the color scheme and it’s packaged perfectly minus tower speaker, which won’t be a tough add-on.

And yes... Irma is my only concern at this point. He’s been very upfront on any blemishes or scuffs in gel, etc. so I’m not as concerned as I was when I first started going through the buying process/transaction.

Can’t wait to have her in NC waters ...

Going back to uShip. Has anyone done the flatbed service? I’m not keen on the tow-away service as I don’t want much stress in tires, bearings, etc (even though I’ll be dry storing)

Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Great boat, solid TT’er, would not hesitate to buy this boat. MC Warranty provides you backup, it will need to be transferred by dealer and IIRC there is a $500 transfer fee. Also a solid model year with tremendous config and features.

I would only want to confirm no damage from Irma, cannot recall, just a friendly heads up.

Would the transfer need to be originated by seller with buyer present at same dealership? Or could it be facilitated from his dealer to mine in NC without being present together?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
After viewing used boats for a couple years (MC's and other wake boats) prior to our first purchase, I would NEVER purchase a used boat sight unseen. Everyone has their own version/definition of MCOCD. If cosmetic issues mean anything to you, don't do it until you see it. If they don't, by all means buy it. Warranty will cover any "major" issues mechanically. Likely no coverage for anything cosmetic.

p.s. awesome looking boat
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
Wow what a gorgeous boat, I would personally never buy a boat sight unseen. For the amount you are getting ready to spend whats another couple hundred bucks in plane tickets. Or as many do on here, make it a road trip to go pick it up. I think it would be an awesome experience to travel somewhere to pick up a new toy, make it into a mini vacation with the lady.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
I wouldn't put much worry on the Hurricane Irma aspect. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and a mile off the ocean and my boat sat in my yard and didn't get a scratch. Why not make a road trip, see the boat in the flesh and then take it to Boca Bash April 29??
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X30; 2012 X15 (sold)
Sweet looking boat. I've never seen one with that color scheme, but I like it. Post pictures of the interior. I agree about not seeing a boat unseen, but if you've gotten enough pictures, you're probably not going to be tremendously surprised. I also would go get it and tow it myself.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Ask the guy to face time you and do a walk around the boat showing everything. At least you know you have see it and it was a recent video. The boat looks amazing and has warranty.