Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Help with Interior "Damage"

On my 2002 PS197, the console assy on the RH side w/throttle etc has a problem. The plastic has broken completely around 2 of the screwheads that secure it, and it's coming loose. It appears there are only 3 of these torx head ss screws on top, and one conventional screw near the floor that hold this piece to the hull.

I considered having a plate made (SS) that I could bond to the face of it, and run longer screws through - to avoid having to replace the entire assembly.

PROBLEM is that those torx head screws are secured by a nut on the other side, inside the hull, which can not be reached by human hand. I determined this by checking the only one that I can reach, furthest aft, which had a nut. Of course that one is not a problem.

Any suggestions other than just getting a dealer quote for replacement of the entire piece / assembly? I am sure this would be a fat invoice.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Drill them out and fill the holes with a fiberglass patch kit (or similar filler kit), then re-anchor in the preferred manner.

That said, hopefully the present anchors will stay in place in order to drill. A nice new (sharp) carbide-tipped drill tip should cut through the bolt with a slow steady progress.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
This thread covers the basic same problem on another model boat that may help, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=25315

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Been there, done that. Recently.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...d.php?p=527261
Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Ah ha, THANKS! Might as well check with dealer first based on Big Mac's experience. You never know, maybe I could get some partial concession.....
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
For what its worth, you can get your arm in there with a wrench. (7/16 if I remember correctly) and take that off. My arm was pretty scratched from fiberglass, but I pulled the panel off when I installed my stereo remote so that I could cut the hole and see what was behind it. It is not easy, but it can be done. I think I held on to the end of the wrench and was able to get it on the nut to take it off. I do not remember how I started the nuts when reassembling.

Steve

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRSK1R View Post
For what its worth, you can get your arm in there with a wrench. (7/16 if I remember correctly) and take that off. My arm was pretty scratched from fiberglass, but I pulled the panel off when I installed my stereo remote so that I could cut the hole and see what was behind it. It is not easy, but it can be done. I think I held on to the end of the wrench and was able to get it on the nut to take it off. I do not remember how I started the nuts when reassembling.

Steve
Did you get to it from behind the seat on the side??
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
On my boat, it was the middle bolt that was the problem. The rear one was pretty easy, the front one made a little easier by laying on one's back and reaching up after removing the driver's seat (be careful, that pedestal has grease on it).

Tags
fiberglass, interior