Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205, 1995, 350 V8
Barefooting question?? Time to start?

So here's my next question to put under the watersports topic.

I've never barefooted. Before switching to a double boot slalom ski when I was about 18 to 20 yrs old - occassionally I'd take the back foot out fooling around but never really tried to learn.

The problem is that I tore my achilles several years back playing basketball and had to get it surgically repaired. It's my back foot when I ski - occassionally it bothers me - more so then I lead people to believe....but I love to ski and don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I'll be 27 next month.

So back to barefooting - I still have the itch to learn but want to hear from footers if it sounds crazy with a bad achilles.

Also - i do not have a barefoot boom - wondering if that's really the easiest way to learn or if there are some other ways.

Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJ_205 View Post
So here's my next question to put under the watersports topic.

I've never barefooted. Before switching to a double boot slalom ski when I was about 18 to 20 yrs old - occassionally I'd take the back foot out fooling around but never really tried to learn.

The problem is that I tore my achilles several years back playing basketball and had to get it surgically repaired. It's my back foot when I ski - occassionally it bothers me - more so then I lead people to believe....but I love to ski and don't plan on quitting anytime soon. I'll be 27 next month.

So back to barefooting - I still have the itch to learn but want to hear from footers if it sounds crazy with a bad achilles.

Also - i do not have a barefoot boom - wondering if that's really the easiest way to learn or if there are some other ways.

Jim

Cant answer the achilles questions but in my opinion the boom is the easiest way to learn. I did break my ankle in 2007 and can still barefoot fine.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Awww... you don't REALLY want to pick up another sport do ya? Before you know you will have all kinds of money invested in it! LOL

Seriously, I would recommend you pick out one of them barefoot ski schools in Florida and have them teach you. Safe way to learn using good equipment and top notch instruction.
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
No question about it - get a boom. Doesn't make it easy.........but easier.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Lessons from a Pro, the easiest way to learn. A boom does make it easier.

Or, you could learn they way me and my buddies did way, way back. Behind a 50hp Johnson in a 15' V hull. We didn't have anyone to ask or videos to watch. We read a couple books by the Pros and went out and tried it till we figured it out. Trust me when I say that it was the hardest way to learn!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft,205,1996
The boom is the way to go, but without a boom starting off a kneeboard is much easier to learn vs out of a slalom ski. Start with sitting on the kneeboard with legs dangling in the water. Have driver start to pull, while you keep your legs up in front of you. Boat driver should slow down to stop you from porpoising, then when you are ready have the driver get to speed and stand-up.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I have a friend who is an avid barefooter. He has torn both achilles at different times in his life doing other things (not skiing). He tore his achilles last May and was footing in late September.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhjgh View Post
The boom is the way to go, but without a boom starting off a kneeboard is much easier to learn vs out of a slalom ski. Start with sitting on the kneeboard with legs dangling in the water. Have driver start to pull, while you keep your legs up in front of you. Boat driver should slow down to stop you from porpoising, then when you are ready have the driver get to speed and stand-up.
I agree--knee board worked great for me. Hardest part was balancing the board to get it stable as the boat speeded up. Rotate off board on to your feet--go! Once on your feet figuring out the balance will be the challenge. You'll soon find out where too far forward is!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 x2
Boom is definitely best. My initial learning was on a boom, but my parents didn't have one, and I didn't have a barefoot suit, so I learned to step off a ski as well. Of course later I got a suit and learned deepwater starts.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 91 Prostar 190
Without a boom, you are asking for a lot of hard, painful falls.
You can take the bindings off an old, cheap wakeboard and sit on that like the kneeboard start others described, except the wakeboard is a bit easier to start and more stable to ride.
With boom + wakeboard + lessons from a pro I've heard that it's possible to learn without any hard falls at all.
As for your achilles, you won't know until you try. And if you never try...you'll never know.