Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X-14
Opinions Please - 2002 MC Prostar 197

Originally looking for a mid-90s $15k ballpark PS 205 DD EFI, but came across this PS 197:
https://gadsden.craigslist.org/boa/d...681385715.html

Boat is on Weiss Lake in AL, but closest dealer is Skiers Marine in Chattanooga, TN. They will do a survey in their shop for $300 or at the lake for $550.

Current owner is the 3rd and he bought the trailer separately when purchased from 2nd owner in Kentucky (have not seen pics of trailer.) My understanding is that everything is original including MC cover, but does not have a bimini top or perfect pass.

Intended use is slalom 22' off with some minor wakeboarding thrown in for diversity, but our youngest son is 11 and just learned to ski this summer. Between next summer and him leaving home, I imagine there will be more wakeboarding and maybe a desire to surf yet to come

Thoughts on 205 vs 197 (which doesn't seem to get very much discussion on this site) for skiing and riding?

Also thoughts on this boat in general?

Finally, anyone familiar with Skiers Marine or someone knowledgeable about MC on or near Weiss Lake in AL?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
There is some discussion on 205 vs 197, but have too look.
I have a 94 205 and it skies great. A little ballast and Wakeboard wake is decent, relatively speaking. Should be able to learn a lot on it vs needing a massive v drive.

The 197, while being possibly the best looking boat of all time, is not labeled as ideal for slow speeds (kids) or 15,22 off wakes. Iíve heard -28 off is still maybe not as good as 94. -32 and shorter it is probably better.
Based on your post, Iíd look for a 94-95 205. The 96+ wonít ski as good with the next gen hull. Iíll take my 94 205 over a 95 190 (new hull, the 205 changed in 96) anyday.

It also depends how picky your are. Iím sure the 197 obviously isnít terrible. That is a clean looking boat inside, would be curious what the outside looks like under the wrap.

My data is from PMing with a few folks in the past, and some really good skiers i ski with. There is a guy on their lake that has a 190 (same hull) and nobody wants to ski it ever. Itís not even considered.

I debated upgrading for a while but all the feedback for 15-28 off at 32-34 mph led me to keep the 94....

One other consideration is that the 197 is Lower in the front I think than any 205 and you have higher risk of taking water over the nose.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Looks like a nice boat from the pics. That said, ask if the hull has the "hook" or not. Most of the 2002 models (non Tournament Team boats) were built without it and it was added as factory in 2003 and forward. Basically it is just a small downturn in the fiberglass at the very trailing edge of the bottom of the hull but it makes a big difference. Most of the factory 2002's had a "T" or planning rudder in place of this added fiberglass and in my opinion it did not work as well.....I had the fiberglass added to my 2002.
The ski wake at 22 off will greatly depend upon speed. At 34mph you will be going right thru the rooster tail but if you are on edge you will be just fine. In my opinion, the 205 throws a softer yet wider wake but as you advance up the line the 197 will be far superior.
As for wakeboarding, while I do not do it, I have pulled a lot of riders who are pulling big inverts off of my wake with no ballast in the 18-22mph range. Admittedly, these guys know how to load the line and I swear they could get air off of a ripple on the water. Biggest thing you have to watch out for if you do weight the back of the boat is that when you stop, water will come in the rear vents and into your bilge. Also, if you have weight in the bow and come of plane you have to be very careful not to dunk the nose.
Overall great boat as I am on my third now.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:25 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The 197, while being possibly the best looking boat of all time, is not labeled as ideal for slow speeds (kids) or 15,22 off wakes. Iíve heard -28 off is still maybe not as good as 94. -32 and shorter it is probably better.
Based on your post, Iíd look for a 94-95 205. The 96+ wonít ski as good with the next gen hull. Iíll take my 94 205 over a 95 190 (new hull, the 205 changed in 96) anyday.
Thanks Ben - Very Helpful!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:29 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Looks like a nice boat from the pics. That said, ask if the hull has the "hook" or not. Most of the 2002 models (non Tournament Team boats) were built without it and it was added as factory in 2003 and forward. Basically it is just a small downturn in the fiberglass at the very trailing edge of the bottom of the hull but it makes a big difference. Most of the factory 2002's had a "T" or planning rudder in place of this added fiberglass and in my opinion it did not work as well.....I had the fiberglass added to my 2002.
Excellent pointer jkski - I will ask about the hook and also appreciate the info about skiability vs 205

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Unless you have a place on the lake, size and storage capacity is going to be a factor sooner than later with the 197. Also having younger kids on board should be a consideration as well. While the 197 is a hot rod with an open bow, that open bow becomes mostly useless for anything but handling lines at the dock due to it's physical size for all but smaller children. Also adding the weight of even moderately sized children to the front of this model will greatly increase the likelihood of taking water over the bow. I love the look of the boat but it's looks can be deceiving as it's in no way your average open bow runabout. It's low free-board design, small size and sensitivity to weight placement make it a boat you have to pay attention to or you'll soon be playing U-boat commander taking water over the bow.

IMO if you're looking for a dedicated slalom boat find a ProStar 190. If you're looking for a crossover slalom boat that's family friendly find a 205, 209 or even better a 214.

Last edited by bturner2; 09-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5
My $0.02; we do have a place on the lake so storage is not an issue in our X5. We have two very little kids and the bow works for the time being, however, I do not think I would be comfortable with them up front in a few years (weight in the bow). We ski and board (75/25), but will eventually have to go larger.

Dry storage - with the swing away trailer tongue, it fits in the third stall of our garage which is awesome, but a 205 would not. Just info for thought. I think your best bet would be going for a 205.

I would also be a little hesitant on a boat with a wrap. I would be scared whats underneath, again, just my $0.02.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:38 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
It's low free-board design, small size and sensitivity to weight placement make it a boat you have to pay attention to or you'll soon be playing U-boat commander taking water over the bow.

IMO if you're looking for a dedicated slalom boat find a ProStar 190. If you're looking for a crossover slalom boat that's family friendly find a 205, 209 or even better a 214.
Appreciate your thoughts bturner2 - Very helpful!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrowbot View Post
My $0.02; we do have a place on the lake so storage is not an issue in our X5. We have two very little kids and the bow works for the time being, however, I do not think I would be comfortable with them up front in a few years (weight in the bow). We ski and board (75/25), but will eventually have to go larger.

Dry storage - with the swing away trailer tongue, it fits in the third stall of our garage which is awesome, but a 205 would not. Just info for thought. I think your best bet would be going for a 205.

I would also be a little hesitant on a boat with a wrap. I would be scared whats underneath, again, just my $0.02.
Glad to have your $0.02 tjrowbot - Very helpful!

Tags
prostar 197, prostar 205