Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
1991 Prostar 190

Hi all,

Going to look at this tonight....it will be my first Mastercraft and first "real" ski boat. Looks to be well maintained, I know it will need some new vinyl at some point, but for the $7k I've been able to negotiate so far it sounds like a fair deal....

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...663577716.html

Comes with some extras like a wakeboard pole, etc. He's put some new parts on as well, like a new battery, starter, electronic choke, etc. Has an updated carb on it as well.

He apparently bought it for $7k in the spring and put some money into it. Am I being hasty by not waiting another few weeks until end of season, or should I make the day long trip and go buy this boat? Thanks in advance for the wisdom!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I've shared my metric for this vintage of boat as well based off the top market being premium 1994 LT-1 power slot boats on tandem trailers with stargazer speed control.

From what I can see in this post 7K could be fair,. but you can also find other examples.

Things you want to test - compression - this boat is carbed, the hour meter may or may not be accurate. Make sure the engine is in good shape.

Electronics - new battery, starter, etc. but are they the right things - same with the carb, make sure it was replaced with a MARINE carb and a MARINE starter - For the carb you'll want to take the top spark arrestor off and make sure it has a J shaped tube on top of it (google marine carb). For the starter make sure that it is clearly marked or he has the invoice for it.

I don't value the replacement parts as highly because frankly they're wear items anyhow and should be functional - too often people replace parts with crap.

So value - vinyl is worn - graphics on hull are incorrect for 1991 - this boat has seen alot of sunshine uncovered to be that faded. The hull was polished up and someone pulled the graphics and replaced them with older ones - another reason to verify condition of engine.

Trailer also should be checked out.

Engine could be a 351 HO - that might add a bit more value to me than if its a base 351W - Check if the boat is a power slot or a 1:1 would make it more valuable. Those things.

Anyways - I have a 1994 - its a great boat, I love skiing it. I also have an 88, I prefer the 94 for skiing, the 88 actually might be more fun to drive.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:47 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the info. The hull ID# stated that it had the regular 351w (S in the ID#) with the 1:1 tranny. I will be able to water test it before I buy it, but a compression test probably will not be possible. What should I look for as far as RPM's at full throttle, speed, etc? He says it pulls off the line hard enough to pull arms out of sockets if you're not too careful....

Anything else I should look for on the water test?

I've been looking for something like this all summer, and just haven't had the best of luck as far as timing goes, or people asking way too much money, or not knowing much about the boat or some shady responses. This was at least owned by an enthusiast. Not a lot of options in Northwest MT and this seemed to be the right deal on a '91 to get me on the water now....

Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 PM
TT Newbie

Just heard from the seller, carb is marine specific, starter is not.

Last edited by quattrotto; 08-09-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: updated info....
Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 PM
MC Maniac

Compression test is pretty easy - get a GPS phone app to look for speed.
Won't pull arms out of sockets but you'll pop handles out of hands. A top end of 42-43 would probably be more accurate than 45+ my 94 1:1 with the small block 350 gets about 43. The 88 with the 351 gets a few more but it is a smaller lighter boat.
You'd want to check 36 mph is usually right around 3,500-3600 RPM. Which will slip below that mph per 100rpm as you go above 30ish.

There's a thread by east tx skier on here somewhere with his check. I usually prefer to start with a cold dry boat on a trailer. Inspect the under side, turn the prop by hand and see if it seems smooth, look at where the shaft goes through the hull to see if it goes roughly center or looks off kilter. Bring some paper towel and rub it around in the bilge - see if its oily/gross. Ask questions about winterization. Look around the sides of the engine for any bulged issues, cracks that have been filled. Some people will bring a weak magnet and try to stick it to the block to check for areas that might have been jb welded.

Look for signs that the manifolds might be rusted through or salt water usage. Start it on a bucket if you can and see if water comes out both exhausts roughly equally, bring to temp check that both exhaust risers are roughtly the same temp. Look at belts, hoses, wiring, look for rats nests.

Test the switches, the bilge pump, the blower, the lights, watch for all the gauges to work or not work.

Pull the kill switch tether and see if that's working or hot wired.

In the water you want to run it up to speed and temps, feel for vibrations and listen for noises at idle and at speed. It should want to pull to the right decently, if you let go of the wheel it should want to turn right, but the steering should be relatively tight and crisp to both directions just loaded to the right.

It should idle smoothly in and out of gear.

There are things I'd want to look at that but can be hard to do in short order such as pulling the rear floor and looking at the packing gland, exhausts etc., but if it looks good and you want it I'd see about making an offer contingent on getting a mechanic to check your compression, or just rent a compression tester from autozone and do it yourself at the end.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrotto View Post
Just heard from the seller, carb is marine specific, starter is not.
Factor buying a new starter into your purchase price. Alternator too if he swapped that to non marine....

:flammable
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM
MC Maniac

Did you buy it?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

Yup, I am the proud owner of a 1991 Prostar 190!!! Looked better in person, really....a couple of known issues like a non-functional gas gauge, high idle and sun bleached interior. Motor started right up cold and idled high due to a throttle body return that is binding up a little, but the hole shot was as described and top speed was 45 mph by GPS, so figured what the neck, I traveled this far....trailer was actually a little nicer as well, recent bearing service, new tongue and tires....made it the 540 miles home today with no issues.
Barring any surprises on my real maiden voyage tomorrow am, I'm super psyched!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Change that starter so yiu dont have a fire

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2018, 10:41 PM
TT Newbie

1991 Prostar 190 purchase update...

Just wanted to post an update after having the 1991 Prostar 190 out on the lake several times thus far. I've put about 13 hours total on it, including a couple of days behind it on skis. First and foremost, I have absolutely no regrets! She starts up without hassle, pulls strong out of the hole and is just a blast to drive and be on. A bit of cleaning and vinyl care has freshened up the interior a bit, gelcoat looks good and it's in overall good shape. Learning a lot about it, just performed my first oil change and just very pleased all around. It was fairly presented, no huge surprises and just going to use it a lot and update as needed and maintain it as preventative. I'm into it for less than $7K, and there hasn't been anything close to this come up available that I have seen in the last month, so I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks for the guidance and feedback...glad to be out on the water again!