Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X30 2001 330hp LTR
I think you may be right, just doesn't seem to have any pressure to push the hot through the thermostat. I took the stat out and ran it up, and what hot water was left in the block came out the exhaust. then ran cold the rest of the time. then i reinstalled the thermostat right at the block and it overheated again pointy side up which I believe is the right way. I will have to buy a circ pump and hope for the best i guess.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
The circulation pump is not going to be your problem. They are very simple with metal impellers. When they go bad (seals & bearings), they still pump but also leak through the weep hole in the bottom.

On thermostat installation, the pellet (part that looks like the back of a bullet) goes in the hot water. How many thermostats are in your boat? It sounds like you have two since you mentioned one right at the block.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Could be that the vane on the water pump is corroded enough that the fins are gone or impeller came off the shaft. Cold water coming out is either a bad water pump or (my guess) a bad thermostat. Pull thermostat and run it. If water comes back warm from exhaust, the new thermostat is likely no good. This does happen sometimes.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I guess it could have air in the block as well. If the LTR is supposed to have two thermostats (I have no idea) I think I would drill a couple of 1/16" holes in the thermostat on the block to help purge the air that open cooled boats are always going to get.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Some of those engines were built with two temperature measuring components. One was a single wire sensor that was used to drive the gauge and the other was a two wire sensor that sent a signal to the ECM. Check and see if you have two separate temp senders, they are threaded in the intake manifold on either side of the thermostat housing. Find someone with a scan tool that will read the temperature signal at the ECM. It is conceivable to have the sender for the gauge reading one value ant the one for the ECM another ... trust the two wire sensor. By the way, the thermostat goes into the top part of the housing with the sensing pellet down.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM
TT Newbie

ok thats the way i installed the new thermostat, in the top part of the housing with the sensing pellet down which make the point part up. I did run it without the thermostat and the rest of the hot water came out of the block through to the exhaust, and engine ran cold from there. I put the new thermostat in some hot water and it opened up fine. I do have a sender on either side one is light brown right at the thermostat area and the other is on top of manifold but the gauge seems to be working cause it stayed cold when I ran it with the thermostat out. theres only one thermostat, and I moved it down to the block to see if it would work there but still over heated, I dont know, I have a Quicksilver thermostat with the spring for 350 mercruisers maybe i will try this be fore I pull the circ pump. thanks for the help
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM
MC Devotee

There are 2 temp sensors. One runs the guage and mefi to determine proper fuel based on engine temp. The other also goes to mefi and is a hi temp switch. When it grounds out, the mefi sends a check engi e light.

Based on the fact that boat is running cool without thermostat in, I think you have a problem with the new one. Very rare for the engine water pump to fail. I'd spring for a new 160 thermostat from auto parts store, install, and try again. Your engine should only have 1 thermostat unless it is an
Lt-1

Last edited by Rossterman; 06-04-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Sammy D 209
Hmm. I have a 2002 Sammy D LTR and believe I only have one, 2 wire temp sensor on top part of the thermostat which I believe controls all. There's a plug (painted, original) on the side where the older style single wire sensors went.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
TT Newbie

well looks like it was the thermostat, i put the mercruiser style thermostat in and ran it up
and its holding steady temp although its a 140 the temp is holding steady just above that 150, I ordered a 160 thermostat for tommorrow and will try this out, but so far so good.. Just suprised that the new indmar thermostat was not working, just glad I had the 140 around to try it, and thanks to Rossterman for mentioning to try another thermostat. I'll post one more time when i install the 160 tomorrow, Thanks all
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clack View Post
Hmm. I have a 2002 Sammy D LTR and believe I only have one, 2 wire temp sensor on top part of the thermostat which I believe controls all. There's a plug (painted, original) on the side where the older style single wire sensors went.
Could be. Mine is the tbi predator so could be different but thought the mefi's were pretty similar. On the tbi model, there is a single wire temp switch up on front edge of the manifold by the thermostat and the two wire temp sending unit a few inches away at sitting vertically in the manifold.

Tags
330hp ltr overheat