Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Boat problems

This Memorial Day weekend has not been a good one for the boat. I got it out in the morning and noticed it wasn’t running on all cylinders so I went to the local marina for new plugs and was able to round up six of eight as that was all they had. While changing them, I noticed two had broken insulators which seemed to be the issue. Why they were broken, I don’t know but the boat was running much better after they were changed. When backing it off the trailer, the shaft but came loose. Thankfully no damage was done to the prop but I got I back on and all is good. Now to the issue at hand. While I was out after surfing for a bit, the boat just quite running. I would start it back up and go for a 100 yards or so and it would do it again. I was able to make it back to the dock but need to get this figured out. My initial thought is a fuel pump but why is it so intermittent? I have no warning lights and engine temp is good. New impeller, plugs and oil change. It was doing this at the end of the season as well. Any thoughts are welcomed.

I have a charity event on June 22nd that requires my boat so I really need to get it figured out.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, 1985, 351 windsor
Just to throw something out there.. have you checked the fuel filter. I had one almost stopped up and my boat would get up and run until the bowls on the carbs would empty. Boat would sit down. It wouldn’t quit, it would idle fine. As soon as the bowls filled back up I could get up and go again until they emptied again. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

The filters were cleaned a couple years back but the fuel pump has a filter on the bottom and it is good. I have had a dirty filter in a previous boat and it was just lacking power and when I cleaned it, all was good. My other thought was a bad ground of some kind. I am thinking this makes more sense with the intermittent issues it is having.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 ProStar 197, MCX, Sammy Duvall
What do you mean by "broken insulators"? Do you mean the spark plug's center electrode (inside the cylinder) or the ceramic portion of the spark plug that is outside the cylinder?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rager View Post
What do you mean by "broken insulators"? Do you mean the spark plug's center electrode (inside the cylinder) or the ceramic portion of the spark plug that is outside the cylinder?
The ceramic around the electrode was broken.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM
TT Newbie

Could be, just got through cleaning all of my terminations because of starting and running issues. Haven’t tried it yet due to all of this lovely weather here in Bama that we are having.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:08 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 07 X2, again!
Are you running Marine gas or ethanol gas? Fuel lines HATE ethanol!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:52 PM
TT Newbie

I really don't know where anyone can truly get ethanol free gas. Unless you can find a gas station that has a seperate pump from the rest that says ethanol free.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procraft176 View Post
I really don't know where anyone can truly get ethanol free gas. Unless you can find a gas station that has a seperate pump from the rest that says ethanol free.
Although many stations located around lakes offer E-Free gas, I would expect an 05 to be built with ethanol tolerant fuel components.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 AM
MC Devotee

I typically run ethanol free gas. There is a little station that has it two miles from the lake house. I also treated the gas at the end of the season as I always do. The 05 has the fuel lines to handle ethanol though. I may try cleaning terminals and going from there. If that’s not it, I don’t even know where to start. Perhaps the ignition? I guess I should mention that the kill switch has been bypassed so that isn’t it.