Stick with the Prostar 205 5 50.00%
'01 X10 all the way? 1 10.00%
Go to the dark side and get the Malibu VLX 1 10.00%
None of the above? 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '97 MC Prostar 205
Considering move from Prostar 205 DD to X10 VDrive?

Hey all,
I am considering moving from my '97 Prostar 205 DD to a '01 X10 or possibly a (sorry) '06 Malibu VLX. My wife really like the Malibu's (our neighbour has one - very comfortable cockpit).

We are a do it all family - I ski, and there are a couple of course on our lake, but I think my course days are done - so mainly open water slalom for me.

The kids wakeboard, ski and we have all been bitten by the wake surf bug.

We haven't tried surfing behind our Prostar, but even without ballast, it throws a decent wake (we are all just beginner wakeboarders).

My wife would like a Vdrive as we tend to entertain guests and it's hard when one of us wants to ski for a bit.

Looking for a jack of all trades (master of none?) kind of boat.

Locally, there is a '01 X10 for sale and a REALLY well maintained '06 VLX - there is about a $20K difference between them though...

What say you all? Get the newest I can afford, or stick with the X10 (which is priced well I think - around $26K)...

BTW, I'd want to keep my budget below $40K - which the VLX is above unless I can sweet talk him lower.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
X15 would do you well in your budget.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-02-2018, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2 & 1984 Stars & Stripes
X1,X2, Xstar 205v hull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2018, 12:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
He has that hill in a dd.....
Old 09-03-2018, 07:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If you're spending the day there's nothing like a vDrive for comfort, storage and convenience. Wake Boarding and Wake Surfing will be much better, skiing will not be as good.

As to what boat.... Malibu makes a good boat but the lack of an inner liner with snap in carpeting is a big negative for me. If you look under the covers you'll also find the build quality and rigging to be lacking in comparison making older Malibu's less desirable in my book as well. If you look around you'll see this in resale as well. If you're stuck on Malibu's and want a true crossover boat look for a VTX with a Diamond hull. It won't wakeboard or wakesurf as well as an X2 but it will slalom a lot better than most any vDrive I've been behind.

Depending where you are in Canada, I have an 07 X2 for sale that's currently sitting just outside Windsor ON right now that would fit your budget.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
X15 would do you well in your budget.
It really will. For years I considered going to a V-drive from my X-14, and the choice would have been X15, until the newer X10/ X30 came out around 2013
Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
If you're spending the day there's nothing like a vDrive for comfort, storage and convenience. Wake Boarding and Wake Surfing will be much better, skiing will not be as good.

As to what boat.... Malibu makes a good boat but the lack of an inner liner with snap in carpeting is a big negative for me. If you look under the covers you'll also find the build quality and rigging to be lacking in comparison making older Malibu's less desirable in my book as well. If you look around you'll see this in resale as well. If you're stuck on Malibu's and want a true crossover boat look for a VTX with a Diamond hull. It won't wakeboard or wakesurf as well as an X2 but it will slalom a lot better than most any vDrive I've been behind.

Depending where you are in Canada, I have an 07 X2 for sale that's currently sitting just outside Windsor ON right now that would fit your budget.
Thanks! Some great advice and points. I’m in Toronto area. Feel free to pm me a link and or pics etc. the new hull design is appealing from a people hauling perspective alone for sure!
We also have a long haired German Shepherd dog who is a great spotter but sheds like crazy! Snap out carpets would be amazing!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 PM
TT Regular

Still on the search - found a 2003 Prostar 205V locally that may be a good compromise between skiing, boarding and surfing - quite a bit less $$ so may be a good step for the next few years...
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I’ve seen many people make the same common mistake of selling their existing boat and into a new boat because the wife likes the comfort, or the kids are into xyz, or they bring guests… After that, you’re stuck with a boat that meets everyones needs but your own.* If you love to slalom, you are best to stick to your existing boat and try to make it work for everyone else, like with a skylon pole or a ballast bag for example.* Because at the end of the day, the kids become teenagers or go to college and they’ll never come out on the boat anymore.* Or you’ll stop taking guests, or no one wants to go.* I have a friend that sold his slalom boat and bought a wake boat that was supposed to be a slalom capable wake boat… After 2 passes behind his boat, I took off my ski and got my boat going.** Make yourself happy 1st, then try to make the rest happy is my recommendation; because at the end of the day, you’re the one writing the monthly boat payment check.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk