Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-19-2010, 07:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 85 mastercraft prostar 190 351 windsor holley carb and powerslot
85 carb motor major surge problem help!!

I have a 85 classic stars and stripes with 600 hrs. It ran great last summer when we put it away. This year I could barely get it started for the season. Now it will start great idle and rev perfect on the lift. put it under load in the water and anything other than idle it will surge very badly or backfire and die. If I hold the carb butterfly almost shut it will run without the surge. obviously its starving for fuel. Had the carb cleaned checked vacuum all floats are fine jets are clean. Put in new fuel filter plugs cap rotor etc last season but have not replaced this year. can mechanical fuel pump do this or is it either good or bad. somone said fuel tank vent could be stopped up or bad fuel line? any and all help will get my kids back on the water sooner. Thanks so much
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my 1984 Stars and Stripes. It was the carburetor. I had the carburetor rebuilt and it runs like it was new.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MASTERCRAFT S&S 1908 350 1.52:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith3613 View Post
I had the same problem with my 1984 Stars and Stripes. It was the carburetor. I had the carburetor rebuilt and it runs like it was new.
pull your bowls off each side see if theres some trashon the needles or something that has it hung SHUT or just simply take a screw driver and tap on the bowls with the handle end to see if you can break it lose. Regardless it prolly needs to be rebuilt $60 for a kit or $500 for a new one.If you decide to rebuild it go to advance guy a gallon of carb cleaner and and soak everything real good overnight then blow it out ( every crevis/hole/port) with compressed air and carb cleaner in a can GL
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 190
dawsoncharles I had the same symptoms with my motor and it was my carb. Same hard starting no power under load back fire etc.
You need to rebuild the carb. Call Holley and give them the carb serial# and they will tell you which kit you need. Shop around on the web or get your local auto store to order it you should not have to pay anymore than $25-$27.
Definitely get the gallon can of carb cleaner that ecproductions mentioned makes the job effortless and you can reuse it if need be.
It will definitely be worth it.
Have you rebuilt a Holley before?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 AM
TT Newbie

well thanks so far for the input guys I am lucky to have found this site. No I have never rebuilt any carb before. I took the carb off and took it to a local mechanic that said he didnt think it neede rebuilt? said he took apart and checked the jets for clogs and make sure the floats were free etc. we did replace the small diaphram type deal on the side of the carb but that was it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 AM
TT Newbie

What in the carb that gets rebuilt will contribute to the fuel delivery problem. could the choke adjustment make any difference? Like i said before if you trick it by hloding the primary butterfly almost closed it seems to run ok although have not tried it at high speed. Thanks again. should or could i attempt the rebuild or should i take it somewhere and will it need tuned after that?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
I had the same problem and it was my fuel pump.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsoncharles View Post
well thanks so far for the input guys I am lucky to have found this site. No I have never rebuilt any carb before. I took the carb off and took it to a local mechanic that said he didnt think it neede rebuilt? said he took apart and checked the jets for clogs and make sure the floats were free etc. we did replace the small diaphram type deal on the side of the carb but that was it.
That was the vacuum diaphragm for the secondary side of the carb.

You could have a vacuum leak. With the engine idling, or running as slow as possible, spray some carb cleaner around the base gasket of the carb. (Caution required here as carb cleaner is very flammable. Having a fire extinguisher on hand is not a bad idea - but I have never had a problem doing this.) If your engine speeds up you have found your leak. Base gaskets tend to dry out end leak eventually. There is a gasket between the manifold and spacer, and another gasket between the spacer and the carb. When replacing, buy the thickest gaskets you can. They seem to seal better.

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
TT Newbie

I did do that already and thought I found the problem because on that vacuum secondary side the spray did make the engine speed up. The mechanic that inspected the carb told me there was a openening on that side that can draw the spray in. He said that they are often plugged but cause something maybe choke to heat and fail early? I believe that is what he said. The guy at the auto store also said this port can draw in the starting spray? Not sure if I should start with replacing fuel pump or rebuilding the carb or take carb back down to the lake and try again in hopes something changed since guy took apart to check for any issues like stuck float or clog? Its a two hour drive so getting little frustrating. He seemed to think it may be a filter or possibly fuel tank vent or possibly fuel line
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I assume you have the ability to run the engine at home either with a 5 gallon pail or on a fake-a-lake. With the engine running, try wadding up an old t-shirt and pushing it onto the top of the carb to cut off all the air supply. If the engine keeps running at all, you have an intake manifold leak. You can also check the edges of the intake with carb spray.

Have you verified that the firing order is correct? A crossed wire could do that. When I got my boat, one of the several things wrong was the firing order was out of sequence.

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]