Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
definitely looks like a strike but not sure if travel of piston can reach plug. ... timing chain break? you can rent rent a borescope at autoparts store or get a cheapy on ebay for your smartphone. Possible a valve broke and fell in to cylinder. Yikes.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbferguson View Post
We had fresh oil and filter, had followed steps found here

fogged cylinders , impeller, thermostats, opened water pump and replaced , belt, tensioner, hose's , Perko flush replaced

Cleaned everything, turned it by hand quite few times painted surface and reinstalled

Had start issues, crank harnes had couple ugly wires, took to repair shop instead of new he put new plug - mechanic today was checking all wires found couple worn under tape ,repaired and we had spark

Reading about Hydrolock What would put water in cylinders ?

Think I will go get estimate at engine shop to pull and estimate - makes me sick see LT1 engine $$$$ not a time in our lives to spend tons.

Could anybod give me ballpark price they'd think fair so I have something to go by .
The engine isn't hard to disassemble, so it really doesn't need to be pulled unless it's being replaced or some work to the bottom end needs to be done. The tests and bore scope will tell you a lot and it won't cost much- start there and see where you need to go.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
definitely looks like a strike but not sure if travel of piston can reach plug. ... timing chain break? you can rent rent a borescope at autoparts store or get a cheapy on ebay for your smartphone. Possible a valve broke and fell in to cylinder. Yikes.
I was thinking broken rod???

No matter what it was it isn't good.. sorry to hear of your troubles...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
95' Prostar 190 with LT1 engine brother purchased in 98' passed to me 2006 never had work other than normal maintenance . Family illness and life in general no boating for 3 years - Finally its time.

Fogged cylinders, no rust on plugs, cleaning , turned engine by hand impellers, thermostats, water pump,hoses, battery etc. Had NO start.

Used forum tracing down electrics, ICM or Sensors, found harness had been hit long ago by belt had some corrosion inside, hunting weather packs took to electric shop for new, had plug replaced, still no crank. Tested all that was found or suggested within this forum all good. Found mobil mechanic hoping to scan for codes, with sensors on way from aliexpress

Tracing as JimN said printed diagrams checking Crank sensor harness undid it found some damaged wires further up taped by shop. Got them separated, fixed and had power & spark. Cranked and started.

Ran engine maybe 5 minutes & something popped then clunk - shut it off. Tried key 1 time and just big clunk.

Had never heard of hydrolock until asked here but after reading & seeing it can damage rods and flying piston or metal can hit plugs. Reading about boat with garden hose read others had the big clunk & stop. Pulled plugs checking for water and 2nd plug passenger side was smashed. Found a lot of reading different forums boat & car .

No blame to mechanic - maybe shouldn't been working throttle as much - my son & myself had been trying 3-4 times and felt it was above us. Hard to explain to experts LT1 but in car, no distributor it's Northstar 8 can't buy crank sensors but ordered from china Thats why this group helped a lot.

Posted here asking for help again, after 2 relatives said toast get new long block seeing prices it's not in our reach right now. Just few comments have me thinking get estimate to check, pull and look. If its fixable will do and if it's whole engine thats tough.

Thinking I would need another 95-96 LT1 to transfer everything from this engine from all I have learned not all are distributorless with 2 thermostats see new engines up to $8000, long blocks 2500- $5000 read marine different than car.

Lesson learned - don't give up had I waited , ordered weather pack plug kit & made my own harness it would have been right - would it have fired up ? maybe, would it have popped & clunk ? maybe .

I'll come back & let you know & ask advice taking notes from comments -
Old 08-01-2016, 12:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I was thinking broken rod???

No matter what it was it isn't good.. sorry to hear of your troubles...
Any metal in the cylinder should have been audible while cranking and a broken rod would make a really ugly sound. In SoCal, you shouldn't have any problems with freezing, but I have been in LA when it was cold enough to freeze water pipes in houses (my cousin's house was one of them and she lived in Menifee), so it's possible that the block froze. I worked on one that froze and it ran great after I replaced the head gasket that failed due to overheating (that guy just shouldn't own a boat), until I gave it some throttle and the piston skirt caught the crack and then, it was knock city after the clunk.

I had to strip the engine down, but the actual repair wasn't terribly expensive- piston was replaced, rods checked, the cylinder was bored and sleeved and while I had it apart, I had the other cylinders honed, the heads magnafluxed/flattened and when it was reassembled, it ran like new. A good shop should be able to do this and in your area, you shouldn't have any problem finding one.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wish there was a LIKE button - people on this forum are probably sick of Lbferguson but all posts & answers were so appreciated.

I was at the hose mechanic was at boat on side - I was running over to say let it run easy instead of varoom varoom and he yelled shut the water off. Said heard loud knock, shut it off.

These answers made me feel better & went to acquantance engine shop in Bellflower Ca they make & race boats , cars, engines etc. Talking to owner today get cost to check it out. Guy working said they would want to see whole boat before removing anything off engine, just as some of you said probably to check things first. Showed him spark plug and got the ohhhhh

I'll be back, I subscribed to alot of these threads and have made notebook of information. Fingers still crossed it's not complete engine.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update : Talked to engine shop wants boat brought in they will hoist engine send boat home, quote complete rebuild $5500 then that old depending ..... Said prefer complete engine would only be couple hours labor and they have every piece and screw.

Question i had once they open it up if they see damaged block or heads & he said he'd give me complete quote Figured at that time I'm into him for a lot and bring it home in pieces or spend a lot more.

Decided we're going to check all that was told, pull heads and look inside, pull engine - whatever was loose in there has to be found. From there take it in for whatever we find or look into buying long block

Referred by neighbor place in WA or Texas another here in california http://www.orange-engine.com

Anybody heard of http://www.usmarineengine.com They offer 3 year of 500 hour warranty or https://www.mabbcomotors.com also local

I cannot find a block number - Boat is 1995 found GM 5.7SGI on back passenger side. Would be nice to get if needed same thing so everything transfers over. Currently I have no distributor Cannot locate anything else on block except 327 which means LT1 Think I'm looking for a 92-96

Does anybody know or suggest anything different ?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
sorry to read you're down this path.. lots of pictures would be great... and the culprit.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

My Crank sensors just arrived from China via AliExpress & the package smells like heck - will match them up next week when we do sone engine testing & looking - I'm sure mine are original - sad days also got my new speedometer pickups from Debbie at Arizona Luxury Marine she still had original 3 screw $20
Attached Images