Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Enough about Ceramic Coating the hull...

Lets talk about coating the vinyl to protect it from stains and dye transfers.

As we all know Hulls are not only easy to clean, but also easy to restore if things go south. Vinyl on the other hand is always the biggest issue for old and new boats it seems.

Bugs, Bird droppings, cheetos, ink, dye transfer can all cause headaches!

haha doesn't this sound like an ad?

Anyway i got my 2019 not mastercraft 22 and decided since the seats were in perfect condition, i would try some leather coatings that are widely used in the automotive world.

For my vehicles and boats i used Gyeon products (Primer, Prep, CanCoat) so i wanted to try their leather sealants. I contact Gyeon and ask what they recommended. They suggest to use LeatherCoat over LeatherShield.

LeatherCoat is more like a 303 in that it is white liquid, but said to last 3 months with 1 hour of curing time.

LeatherSeal is a semi-permanent coating for leather, but Gyeon was unsure if it would bond to boat vinyl.

I also looked at CarPro Leather sealant and it specifically says vinyl.

I used Gyeon Leather Cleaner to remove any dirt / residue on the vinyl, then applied both products on 2 separate cushions.

Here are the results:

CarPro leather sealant:

Gyeon LeatherCoat:

Pretty obvious what happened there, CarPro Like Gyeon suggested about their LeatherShield product did not bond with the vinyl and there was i believe will not protect it.

Gyeon on the other hand ... look at those beads! It has created a clear layer between the vinyl and whatever contaminants my come in contact with my seats! This should make clean up very easy.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
That’s pretty sweet. Wonder how it would do on the coolfeel.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 AM
MC Maniac

should work the same on all vinyls
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2017 Mastercraft Xt21
I tested a ceramic product on a sample of coolfeel and it changed the sheen from matte to a satin finish. I decided not to do my interior due to this.

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2017 Audi S3 Technik Ara Blue Crystal Effect with Advanced Handling package
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 AM
MC Master Poster

It shouldn't need to be said, but vinyl IS NOT leather and leather protectants shouldn't be used on vinyl. Remember the crappy vinyl from 2003? It was caused by the EPA not allowing enough time for testing new products when they mandated changes in formulation. PVC is able to damage other materials and it's possible to damage PVC with various chemicals. If it doesn't mention that it's safe for vinyl, ask and if they don't know, don't use it. It would suck to see that it looks good for a while after using it and a few months of UV exposure causes the vinyl to break down.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
It shouldn't need to be said, but vinyl IS NOT leather and leather protectants shouldn't be used on vinyl. Remember the crappy vinyl from 2003? It was caused by the EPA not allowing enough time for testing new products when they mandated changes in formulation. PVC is able to damage other materials and it's possible to damage PVC with various chemicals. If it doesn't mention that it's safe for vinyl, ask and if they don't know, don't use it. It would suck to see that it looks good for a while after using it and a few months of UV exposure causes the vinyl to break down.
i would agree with this.. if it ain't for vinyl, i wouldn't use it either.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I get very similar beading by using Boat Bling Vinyl sauce and 303. This stuff conditions the vinyl to prevent it from drying out.

I'd be curious to see how ceramic coatings affect the material long term.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:24 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Both products I used are said to work on vinyl as mentioned in my post. Gyeon said their LeatherShield would not bond to vinyl, i did not try that product.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
I get very similar beading by using Boat Bling Vinyl sauce and 303. This stuff conditions the vinyl to prevent it from drying out.

I'd be curious to see how ceramic coatings affect the material long term.
http://gyeonquartz.com/product/leathercoat/

This should last longer than 303!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Does it make the vinyl slippery AF?