Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: NA
Potential Mastercraft Owner Questions

Hello, Iím looking at upgrading from my direct drive Moomba Outback and Iím currently looking at a 2007 X15 with 310HP. I have a few questions I hope people can help with:
-we use our current boat for slaloming; wakeboarding, surfing, & tubing; can this boat do all of those?(more specifically, can you slalom behind it(
-can it fit in a 7ft garage door with tower down?
-how big of a lift do I need (current lift is shorestation 4000lbs, 9ft wide)
-can this boat handle a lot of people while towing tubes?
-Iím also looking at Malibu Wakesetters so any comparison is helpful.
Any other tips/comments are appreciated!
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Found this link with the specs you are asking about:

https://www.waterskimag.com/boat-rev...oats-2007-x-15

It lists:
  • Passengers: 14
  • Dry weigth: 3,425 lbs

I haven't owned nor been in an X15, so I can't answer your other questions.

We had a 2006 X30 and tubed, surfed. waterboarded and skied behind that. I like to go wake-to-wake on my slalom ski, so I was OK with the slalom speed wake. If you are wanting to run a slalom course then the X30 is not the right boat.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2019 XT22
I have never owned an X15, but a neighbor of our has one and we have skied, surfed, wake boarded and tubed behind and it does all of those well. We listed when surfing but it has been a few years and never tried it with a wakeshaping device, but I know others have. I had a 205V, and was jealous of the space of the X15 and thought it did all of the above very well. Wanted to upgrade to that year X15 for a long time but it never worked out.

Can't comment on fitting in a 7ft garage.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I love my X15. I don't ski, but I do everything else on your list. The X15 is a great all-around performer in my opinion. You will definitely want to upgrade the prop if it is stock. I use an ACME 2061 and it made a huge difference with pulling power and hole shot. The stock prop will struggle doing watersports with more than 8 adults in the boat. I have the MCX with 350 hp, not sure how much of a difference the 310 hp may drop your hole shot.

To get a good surf wave, you will need at least a 750 rear piggy back bag and also a bow piggyback bag. I have tried wake shaping devices, but I prefer the wave with the boat listed.

If I go to my storage locker tonight, I will measure the height for you with tower down. It will be close making under a 7 foot door, but it may squeak by.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
I love my X15. I don't ski, but I do everything else on your list. The X15 is a great all-around performer in my opinion. You will definitely want to upgrade the prop if it is stock. I use an ACME 2061 and it made a huge difference with pulling power and hole shot. The stock prop will struggle doing watersports with more than 8 adults in the boat. I have the MCX with 350 hp, not sure how much of a difference the 310 hp may drop your hole shot.

To get a good surf wave, you will need at least a 750 rear piggy back bag and also a bow piggyback bag. I have tried wake shaping devices, but I prefer the wave with the boat listed.

If I go to my storage locker tonight, I will measure the height for you with tower down. It will be close making under a 7 foot door, but it may squeak by.

Overall agree with above. The X15 is a great family boat, perfect size and do it all performance. Prop upgrade should be on your list especially with the added ballast you will need for surfing to have a good wave. Had best luck evenly weighted with stock tanks full and a pair of 650lb bags in the rear lockers with a suckgate device. The wakesurf wave was excellent but just takes some extra fiddling time to switch sides.

Personally I would have bought an X15 if they ever made it with a Gen 2 surf system which they did not unfortunately. Also considered buying a 2012 with the newer interior, Ilmor motor and 2pt ZFT4 folding tower. Looked for one with Gen 1 surf tabs (don't do squat) but was going to make my own Gen 2 tabs and retrofit them to an X15. However couldn't stomach the one yr 2012 Medallion dash gremlins so opted for a Gen 2 boat instead.

One recommendation I would highly recommend is getting one with a center "Attitude Adjustment Plate" to clean up the surf wave, make planing much faster for skiing/tubing and especially if you want to ski behind an X15 to flatten the large wake.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190