Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft X23 6.2L
Advice on Boat Slip Purchase

So this is actually a 2 part question.

1. I have a conditional deal in place on a boat slip at my local marina (Sylvan Lake, Alberta). I got a very good price on a 21' slip (Can handle up to a 27' boat) we are in a recession right now so compared to what others have paid, I stole this slip. I won't disclose my price, but the going rate for these slips are currently at $58k CDN, originally they were sold for over $60k CDN...

So yes, it's no lease or rental, the purchase price includes full title ownership (Dockominium). The facility is brand new, completed in 2013 with very modern construction and design. The facility is very secure with camera's, gates, and fencing. Includes private launch, full washrooms/showers etc. etc.

My question is, I'm confident I'm buying at the basement, price wise. But in general and convenience aside, are these slips a good investment? Any concerns or questions I should be asking? I feel like I've done enough due diligence on this but I'd like to hear from others that own slips as well.

2. Next question. I'm currently looking at slip number 54. Im new to the whole V-Drive thing, and while I'm getting better at docking in general. Driving and parking in a slip is new to me. Perhaps you could offer me some tips on approach and general technique on how to get into this slip like a pro...

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
If you are facing that way you will have to do a 270 every time you back out of your boat slip because of the way it backs up to the right. (Unless you have dockstar!) We have to do the exact same thing every time as well, its not as bad as it looks as long as you have enough space between 54 and 79, per say. As for the finances, we lease ours, no idea what return or depreciation you'd see on something like that.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 Super Air Nautique 210
Really no need to do a 270. When you push the boat out just push the bow towards the lake. As to the investment part, most real estate of any kind is generally a winner. Go for it
Old 04-08-2017, 05:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
I would be biased to 86 or 130 for the reasons Ida mentions in backing out. I also prefer to be near the end of the dock so long as it is in leeward protection which it looks to be? Otherwise take same side further in.

As for ownership, sounds like a deal, and if you get the utility that is all that matters. If you happened to make money, then that's gravy.

Can you use a lift in the slip? Some will not allow it.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
If the current price for the slip is 58K, and you're getting it for less than that, it sounds like you're already money ahead. What's the economy like in that area? If things seem to be on an up-turn, I'd expect the value to increase over the years. If the current ask is enough below 58K, I'd think you could, if you wanted, keep it for a few months to decide if you like it, then flip it if you feel it's not worth it and still get your money out of it.
G
Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft X23 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
If you are facing that way you will have to do a 270 every time you back out of your boat slip because of the way it backs up to the right. (Unless you have dockstar!) We have to do the exact same thing every time as well, its not as bad as it looks as long as you have enough space between 54 and 79, per say. As for the finances, we lease ours, no idea what return or depreciation you'd see on something like that.
That was my concern as well. Ideally I'd like to be on the left side of any column, and have the right side spot. Unfortunately those are all sold out.

My thought was to take a slip that is easier to pull into (54), I'd rather drift in towards a dock then someones boat. For backing out my plan was to just push the bow over by hand as I come out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
I would be biased to 86 or 130 for the reasons Ida mentions in backing out. I also prefer to be near the end of the dock so long as it is in leeward protection which it looks to be? Otherwise take same side further in.

As for ownership, sounds like a deal, and if you get the utility that is all that matters. If you happened to make money, then that's gravy.

Can you use a lift in the slip? Some will not allow it.
I never asked about a lift, but this lake freezes over, so wouldn't the lift have to come out every season as well?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
I have a slip at our marina that is in a similar position as 54. I have no troubles getting in or out so I think 54 would be a good location. 48 might be a bit easier as it is closer to the open waters, but it's a bit longer walk to the land.

The only time it gets difficult for us is when the wind picks up. In those conditions I usually close the bimini so it doesn't act as a sail. The scariest situation is when the wind starts to push you into other boats. All I can say is make sure you have lots of extra hands on deck when it's windy.

I really have no gauge as to the value of the slip. $60K (original cost seems a bit high). I've seen slips for purchase for $25K, but it doesn't seem as nice as your setup.

How much are the monthly dues?

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerR View Post
Really no need to do a 270. When you push the boat out just push the bow towards the lake. As to the investment part, most real estate of any kind is generally a winner. Go for it
Not really feasible with a bow full of guests but does work, we do this when boat is not full of people

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=85369

Texas A&M '21
Old 04-08-2017, 08:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Odd idea. Can you back in? It's nice having the dock on the right side of you...
get a lift if you can. Yes it would probably need pulled.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I can't imagine having to do a 270. Back up some bump the throttle with wheel cut to the right. Repeat? I'm used to DD not V-drive though.