Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Maintenance is $$. Believe me, I'd love to justify the diesel, but man, I don't want to have to open my wallet if the injectors go bad. Since I plan on keeping this rig for 10+ years, I need something that's going to last with no major issues. While I'm not a mechanic, I feel pretty comfortable doing basic work on a gas engine. Diesel is a dark and mysterious world to me.
On a related note, I've been discussing vacation plans, and it looks like we might drive from CA to CO this summer, roughly 1K miles, and while I can't help but shudder over the gas bill on that trip, and I'm sure diesel would get better mileage, and generally be more fun to drive, but I just don't know if the diesel will be happy with the day-to-day around town driving I do. Believe me, I've tried to rationalize it. Heck, I know there are diesel passenger cars all over the place- VW, Porsche, Chevy Colorado and Ram Ecodiesels, and it seems like every other truck I pass is diesel, but man, the horror stories I hear when things go wrong...
G
Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Maintenance is $$. Believe me, I'd love to justify the diesel, but man, I don't want to have to open my wallet if the injectors go bad. Since I plan on keeping this rig for 10+ years, I need something that's going to last with no major issues. While I'm not a mechanic, I feel pretty comfortable doing basic work on a gas engine. Diesel is a dark and mysterious world to me.
On a related note, I've been discussing vacation plans, and it looks like we might drive from CA to CO this summer, roughly 1K miles, and while I can't help but shudder over the gas bill on that trip, and I'm sure diesel would get better mileage, and generally be more fun to drive, but I just don't know if the diesel will be happy with the day-to-day around town driving I do. Believe me, I've tried to rationalize it. Heck, I know there are diesel passenger cars all over the place- VW, Porsche, Chevy Colorado and Ram Ecodiesels, and it seems like every other truck I pass is diesel, but man, the horror stories I hear when things go wrong...
G

For your driving and use the 6.2 will be fine. Sure it'll cost ya an extra $100 on vacation but what's $100 on vacation?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
The 6.7s do have a 5yr 100k warranty. I would much prefer an ecoboost 150 over a gas 250 IMO though

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 11-03-2017, 12:33 AM
MC Devotee

I've looked at the warranty- the 5/100 is on the engine- from what I understand, 'lubricated parts' only. So block, heads, crank, pistons, etc. Not sure it covers the injectors and emissions stuff. I know extended warranties are available, but I think those are non-Ford (3rd party?), and no idea if they're worth the price.

FWIW, my budget is mid-50s out the door. Sales tax in my county is 8.125, so that brings me to 50500 for vehicle price (assume 55K budget), including destination and whatever crap the dealer tries to charge. Destination is 1295 for this area (I've checked multiple dealers) so now I'm down to right around 49250. Did find a pretty basic 6.7l XLT at a nearby dealer (using the Ford website) but that's still priced at 55,300, not including dealer fees. I do like the features of the Lariat level though. Oh yeah, this will be a cash deal.

I've never bought a new vehicle, and only ever bought one vehicle from a dealer, so I'm VERY unfamiliar with strategy. I've got more of a bull/china shop mentality- this is what I want, here's my money, take it or not. My one experience dealership was very negative (checking with sales manager, making me wait, some sort of worksheet thing that they used, etc.). I recall seeing a link to some f150 website where a guy wrote how to calculate the 'right price' (subtract rebates, % difference between invoice and msrp, subtract that from invoice or something like that), but I can't seem to find it. I'll probably be buying in Dec/Jan, so I'm hoping I can find a leftover 2017 on screaming sale, but I may not get that lucky.

If anyone has suggestions on dealing with the sales folks, or how to calculate what a 'good/great' price is, I'd appreciate it. Not sure if it's worth it, but I may try the Costco auto sales route. They seem to have decent reviews, and I like the idea of not having to go through the whole 'sales guy' routine.

G
Old 11-03-2017, 02:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
Worst day of the year, taking her out for the winter
Based on clrussels post above, if you weren't driving that Ram, your truck would have had the cab off today thus no taking the boat out, so it would have been a good day! Lol

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-03-2017, 08:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
So the emissions stuff has a warranty as well, but I think it’s 5yr 50k miles

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
So the emissions stuff has a warranty as well, but I think itís 5yr 50k miles
Actually federal mandate is like 200k and 8-10 years ?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

I'll have to dig deeper in to the federal emissions warranty. If between the Ford warranty and the feds requiring 200K/8 years, if I can find out if the big money parts would be covered, then it might be worth it.

I did find a PSD crew cab, pretty much exactly what I want (except color), for what looks like a really great deal- 53.5K, Lariat trim, which would put me at 57,850-ish after taxes. Might be able to get then to knock a couple hundred more off for a cash deal. Not to mention, gas trucks with Lariat trim are almost non-existent around here.
G
Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I'll have to dig deeper in to the federal emissions warranty. If between the Ford warranty and the feds requiring 200K/8 years, if I can find out if the big money parts would be covered, then it might be worth it.

I did find a PSD crew cab, pretty much exactly what I want (except color), for what looks like a really great deal- 53.5K, Lariat trim, which would put me at 57,850-ish after taxes. Might be able to get then to knock a couple hundred more off for a cash deal. Not to mention, gas trucks with Lariat trim are almost non-existent around here.
G
If you end up with a diesel just take it on a 30-50 mile drive once a week and let it clean the exhaust as needed easy solution. Make it date night with the wife somewhere to eat
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

@clrussell- I don't mean to doubt, but is it really that simple? I have no experience with diesel, I just hear horror stories about expensive failure due to 'improper' driving styles. Is a long drive once a week enough to prevent major issues, assuming maintenance is followed? I have no problem with regular oil changes, draining the fuel/water separator and whatever regular things need to be done. Just worried about the short drives during the week.

Having said that, I'm down with the 30-50 miles once a week. Heck, that just forces us to hit the lake or head out to the beach on a regular basis. I'm also not opposed to taking the 'long way home', although that might only add 4 or 5 miles.
G

Tags
2008, aric drives a moped, aric is awesome, aric is spelled wrong, f150, f350, flux capacitor, fords rule, fords suck, ghey hamster wheelz, hybrid, luke likes boys, silverado tornados, srt8, tdi, tow mirrors, tundras rock, vortex generator, x2 2008, x45, xstar