Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
More problems - winterize fail

I swear I have more problems with this boat when it's sitting on its trailer in storage than I do when it's running and on the water.

Some of you may remember my problem a few months ago with cockroaches and spiders.

Now I have something else to stress me - rats.

We had a "hard freeze" in south Texas a few days ago, where the temperature dropped 50 degrees within a few hours, and it was expected to drop below freezing for at least a few hours.

Not wanting to take any chances, I figured I'd go winterize the boat, at least to the extent I could. I ran some antifreeze through the engine, but I recognize that's not good enough on its own, and having limited time, I left a 250w light in the engine bay, as I figured that would be more than adequate for a few days (it rarely drops below freezing in this area, and when it does it lasts for a few hours at most).

The surprise came when I poured antifreeze into the ballast tanks. The idea was to pour a few gallons into each tank, connect a hose to the pump exit port into a bucket, then run each pump for a few seconds to pull antifreeze through the pipes and pumps.

First two ballast tanks worked great, but the KGB, I put the funnel in the overflow port on the starboard side, and poured antifreeze in. A few seconds later, I see it draining out the bottom of the boat (drain plug). No problem, I figure I must have accidentally poured it into the wrong hole, as the bilge pump is right next to it. Pour into the other hole, and the same thing happens.

I climb onto the boat, and poke around. What I can only assume are rates have chewed a hole in my fill/drain hose for the KGB tank! Just a few inches in front of the forward bilge pump. I look around a little more and notice there are rat droppings all over the boat inside the compartments.

I haven't had food on the boat since the last time I've taken it out, but I'm worried these rats are going to chew through something more important, if they haven't already. I can't even understand why they'd chew through a ballast hose. It's not like there's food in there.

I keep a pack of water in the ski locker, and noticed half the bottles were chewed through. Maybe they're thirsty?

Anyway, open to any suggestions (or just sympathy).

Not sure how hard it's going to be to route a new ballast hose, but not what I'd hoped to spend my time and money on over the off season to be honest. And I'm actually not worried about that hose as much as I'm worried about what else they might have chewed through. A gas hose? How about the actual ballast TANK itself. I'm all for replacing a ballast fill hose, but it's not near as easy to replace an entire tank that's got a leak.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
moth balls, a lot of them. critters do not like the smell. Yeah people may not like it either but it is better to let the boat air out a few days in the spring than having to redo the interior.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X2
Sorry for your luck, I second the moth balls. Something else is dryer sheets.. Worked well for my dad for years and in my boat last year. Good luck with repair hope the damage isn't anymore than explained.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I go to the local fleet farm and pick up rat/mouse poison by the bucket.. 5lbs of it.. and put it inside the boat just in case and outside up high (swim platform) so the dogs don't get into it.. and I put out a lot of it.. mothballs to keep them out or drier sheets but if they do get in I know they won't be around long...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac LQ-9
Dang Man. Rats?! That sucks. We’ve had a problem with Muskrats eating the exhaust flaps and the speedometer cables while on the lift late season, but I’ve never had an issue with animals climbing up the trailer and boat sides. Do you have the space to keep the boat a significant distance from ledges, walls, rafters, etc.?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Yeah it's a large enough storage - there's a good 2-3 ft on either side of the boat, then a good 4ft front and rear.

I mean I'm assuming they are rats, but could be anything. The droppings look like rats.

And around the areas where they've chewed through things, there are little 'shavings' of the material

I may be at fault, as there have been times I've left food on the boat - things like nuts and chips and so forth, BUT they're always SEALED in plastic or ziplock containers, and never for more than a day or two (i.e. if we go out on Saturday, any leftovers are left on the boat, in the storage, until Sunday).

Whole summer I just noticed this over the last 2 weeks.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
May be that cold snap - critters that normally pursue better things found yours to be the best option.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro Surf Gen 2
Mice and rats can survive weeks without food but can't go 24 hours without water. they can smell water right through a hose and know that chewing it will quench their thirst. Sorry for your troubles. Poison only dehydrates them so they are more desperate to find water.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
Mice and rats can survive weeks without food but can't go 24 hours without water. they can smell water right through a hose and know that chewing it will quench their thirst. Sorry for your troubles. Poison only dehydrates them so they are more desperate to find water.
I agree with this. When we moved abroad those bastards chewed through my fat sacks that had water in them. The ones that were empty were untouched. I used this Malrin stuff mixed with something sweet like coke or antifreeze.

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/g...ait-p-438.html
Old 12-12-2017, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
More problems - winterize fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
May be that cold snap - critters that normally pursue better things found yours to be the best option.

Like In my wife s cabin air filter in her car. Their were two dead mice and a hole nest in it. Lol !! She was so grossed out!!. She made them replace the fan, because the service guy said their might be pee on it.

I know you can use peppermint oil. Mice don t like the smell. I don t know about rats ?. You probably only have mice, though. My wife used so much oil, it burned our eyes for a bit afterwards! LOL!

Edit; to take all my apostrophe’s out.

Sent from my iPhone using stupid Tapatalk

Last edited by waterbuffalo; 12-12-2017 at 08:07 PM.