Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 SANTE 220
I sold version 1.0 with the X1 and finally finished up 2.0.

2.0 fail. I spent too much time on designing a surfboard shaped base and paintings the blue knobs and grip to metallic gray to match. And then only to find out the handle wouldn't hold onto the boat. The front auction cup would release, I suspect because the screws mounting to the base created a non-uniform shape in the auction cup.

So, I went back to old reliable, the stronger handle from Harbor freight for 3.0 with full success and reused the paddle and supports. This angle worked wonders on the X1 for height, length, push and cleaning up the face. On my 220, I gained height, a ton of length and clean face but no gain in push with full stock ballast vs listing with the stubs tank empty. Next time outIm going to try listing with the surf gate. My lightweight 14yo son could surf ropeless 15' further back than before - so he's loving this new suckgate. Might have to start shopping add-on ballast to make a material improvement in push for me... and some main side decals.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ryan; 08-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tige 22ve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
So you've been able to determine that the faceplate shape changes the wake??
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post
I would think it changes it at least a little. Look at gen 1 vs gen 2 surf tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
That's a completely different concept though. Changing the face of these suck gates will guaranteed not change the shape of the wake.
The shape and design of the face does have an effect on how it works. There is a reason that all of the best shapers on the market have flow through porting. The flow through creates secondary turbulence. Turbulence is a big part of what delays the convergence of the non surf side wake. The serrated edge creates more turbulence and changes the flow pattern of the water coming off the face. It helps delay convergence further.
Mine also has a convex face, the only other shaper with this is the delta. That helps reduce the drag slightly and avoids issues with flat face shapers when they aren't aligned perpendicular to the waterline.
Now does all this make a drastic difference? It's not night and day but with my boat I was not able to get a sharp crest lip with a flat face/smooth edge shaper. For me that's the difference in being able to consistently air out. You can only tell so much by the look of the wake, you have to ride it and feel the difference in push.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x15 mcx 350
Suction cups on wraps

I would like to give this a try but my boat has a wrap. Does these suction cups stick to vinyl wraps?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X25 6.0 L / 2004 X-30 MCX(SOLD)
I tried mine out on my boat with a wrap and we did get it to stay on with no damage to the wrap. The second time we tried it did come off though but I think we just had it top far back on the hull.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Anyone have a current source for SeaStow/SurfStow handles? I can no longer find them on-line. Seems like everyone is selling a slightly different design now. I got one of these new ones but the suction cups aren't as soft and it seems harder to get them to stick. I need to build a few more suck-gates for friends that want them.

Last edited by Skyskiguy; 10-08-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X35 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by izobaric View Post
I would like to give this a try but my boat has a wrap. Does these suction cups stick to vinyl wraps?
I have a wrap and eventually the suckgate will damage it, I decided to go for the GSA and dump the suckgate.

Tags
bobv5, suckgate, wake design, wake enhancement, wake gate, wake plate, wake shape, wake surf