Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Maristar 225 vrs
95 Maristar 225 VRS Engine Hatch

I bought this boat last summer with 280 hours. I did some mechanical things like new started, hoses, belts, impeller, fluids, etc. Mechanically, she's solid. We've put 60 hours on her between July of last year and now. However, the previous owners did some terrible interior work so that's the big project for the off season. The engine hatch is the worst of all. The old owner covered a 1x8 in vinyl and attached it to the area above where the original hinges went and then used interior door hinges to attach a hatch cover made from 3/4" plywood. The ply is rotten and I want to replace it the right way. The only problem is, I don't know what the right way is. I can't find the original hinge anywhere and don't know how the hatch was originally made. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would anyone be willing to take some pictures of your boat so I can have a reference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225vrs
I need to redo mine, or at least cover up the wood til I can do it later. Here a few pics. One of my hinges is broken as well. I think walenjeff has a pretty slick one piece bracket he had made for his.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Here is a link to my boat restoration thread where we made a one piece sundeck hinge:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=55218&page=4

In the pictures you can see how the original hinge mounted, we just tied them together with Stainless Steel for increased strength. Unfortunately my brother cannot get his hands on the old CAD file, so your best bet would be to get a fab shop to make a new one for you.

The engine hatch is this corrugated aluminum material that is pretty strong yet very light. Very similar if not the same as the flooring material. I would have no idea where to purchase it though, probably a question for google.

Good luck with your boat, and let me know if you need anything else!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Here is a link to my boat restoration thread where we made a one piece sundeck hinge:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=55218&page=4

In the pictures you can see how the original hinge mounted, we just tied them together with Stainless Steel for increased strength. Unfortunately my brother cannot get his hands on the old CAD file, so your best bet would be to get a fab shop to make a new one for you.

The engine hatch is this corrugated aluminum material that is pretty strong yet very light. Very similar if not the same as the flooring material. I would have no idea where to purchase it though, probably a question for google.

Good luck with your boat, and let me know if you need anything else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenielife View Post
I need to redo mine, or at least cover up the wood til I can do it later. Here a few pics. One of my hinges is broken as well. I think walenjeff has a pretty slick one piece bracket he had made for his.

Thanks so much for the help. I have a buddy who is a great fabricator. I will have him duplicate that hinge design. Whalen, your boat is incredible. So many good ideas for mine now. I especially love you engine hatch design with the struts. I don't really care for the power actuated hatch.

I found some aluminum honeycomb but it's pretty expensive. I'm thinking about building my hatch cover with plywood, fiberglassed with a raised center section and doing sea deck in the middle with sun pads on the sides (much like the newer boats.) Any thoughts about that???
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
If you use plywood + glass, it will most likely be heavier than one made from the honeycomb material. Not a huge deal, but the added weight may increase the stress on the struts when the hatch is open- might want to keep an eye on that over time.
On the up-side, I know people have had issues with the honeycomb separating- shouldn't have a problem with that with plywood and glass.
I like the idea of a raised center for a walk-through. When I have my interior re-done, I may have to try to do that.
G
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Some more ideas for the rear hatch, Kyle Fannin converted his rear deck to 3 piece and it turned out nice! I should have converted mine when I had the upholstery done.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=69335
Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Some more ideas for the rear hatch, Kyle Fannin converted his rear deck to 3 piece and it turned out nice! I should have converted mine when I had the upholstery done.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=69335
Now we're talking! I really like that idea a lot better than the once piece. Thanks!

Tags
225 vrs, engine hatch, interior