Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
Got the spark plugs changed this morning. They look pretty black.


Also managed to get the gas tank out to get access to the back end of the steering cable and the exhaust hoses.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
Made a little progress this weekend. Got the one side of the exhaust that had been disconnected resealed and connected.

Also installed the new steering wheel.


Next up is polishing the windscreen and cleaning the interior panels while I wait for parts.

Anyone know how the trim comes off of the windscreen, or would you just polish with it installed?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:05 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
I started cleaning my interior panels this week. The rear bench and the observers seat are done. I've still got to do the driver's seat and the engine cover. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm using Sodar's method.

I've had a hard time getting good pictures that show how much cleaner the seats really are, but here you can clearly see how the dark streaks and discolorations are gone.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
And just like that, interior cleanup is all done.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Baron's Avatar
Baron Baron is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 30th Anniversary Prostar 190
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 70
That really looks good!

It must feel good to transform this boat. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
That really looks good!

It must feel good to transform this boat. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Baron, Like most projects, its turning out to be a larger effort than expected, but it feels good to be making progress.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 PM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 1,641
This is such a cool boat
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
This is such a cool boat
Thanks epnault!



I finally got my steering cable installed. It was much more challenging to get the old cable out than I expected. I had to pull the front bench seat and the center floor section to get it untangled from the rest of the cables and wires.

Hadn't notice this little detail before. Normally hidden away under the gas tank.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 AM
btmachone's Avatar
btmachone btmachone is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
Location: Loomis, CA
Posts: 47
About a month ago, I had resealed one of the thru hull exhaust flanges. This weekend I finally got the boat on the water to float and verify that I didn't have any leaks before putting the gas tank back in and buttoning everything up. The good news is, the exhaust flange didn't leak. Unfortunately, there was water coming in from somewhere else, and the way it was coming in, I couldn't tell from where. After some consideration, I decided I could either guess at it and check the results, or I could just suck it up and release everything coming through the transom under the waterline. I decided to go with this option because the cure time on the 3M 5200 is quite long, and guess and check could end up taking forever. So I pulled all of the screws and brackets for the swim platform and the pitot tubes, cleaned everything, and resealed.

The only thing I can't figure out based on the 3M package, is how temperature and humidity affect the cure time. I'm going to be on the warm end of the spectrum this week and substantially less humid.

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:20 PM
gweaver gweaver is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmachone View Post
Had just barely been able to read the Part number for the raw water pump on the housing, but nothing on google turned up an associated impeller part number. I pulled the pump and skidim was able to find me the equivalent impeller.
Pump is a Thermo Electron PN 97221.
Old Impeller was a Jabsco 920-0003 which is apparently replaced by 17937-0001P.

Hopefully that will be the right fit.
You're doing a great job bringing that old boat back to glory. Well done!

The two hoses in the last picture, coming off the raw water pump, look like they should be replaced. Definitely the one on the left- the big bulge has me concerned the hose might be on its way to failure. Might give them a look.
G
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


2018