Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 84 MasterCraft. 351W
Carburetor question

I am restoring a 1984 Mastercraft with a 351W, I'm putting on Flotek Heads, stock cam.
I'm thinking of an Edelbrock manifold and a new carb. (Holly marine avenger?)

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
I had a Holly Carb once and would never buy one again. It never runs very clean in my Opinion and a difference from 10C can make the Carburator run bad..
But these are just my experiences.

On the other hand, i mounted 3 Edelbrock Carbs (2 on Cars, 1 on Mercruiser), wich run very well with stock settings
Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie123 View Post
I am restoring a 1984 Mastercraft with a 351W, I'm putting on Flotek Heads, stock cam.
I'm thinking of an Edelbrock manifold and a new carb. (Holly marine avenger?)

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Holley 4160.... They work just fine with the Edelbrock. I presume you're putting the GT40P heads?

I personally do not think the Edelbrock intake is necessarily a great upgrade by itself, and even more so the heads without a souped-up cam. One can calculate and figure all day long but from what I have had experience, for really good noticeable power upgrade, the engine should have a bottom end cam that is complimentary to the other add-ons. Your call and merely my opinion.

All of that being said, I currently have a 351W with the Edelbrock intake, the Flotek GT40P heads, and a 4160 with a stock cam. Very pleased with the performance but I am not feeling whiplash when I gouge on it. It was like that when I found it and having come from a stock 351 prior to this engine (from an 85 model)....nothing that I would write home about.

You can never go wrong with a new carburetor and I am 100% sold on the 4160 marine.

For a really budget-minded plan, keep the stock intake, add the heads, and get a guy here to clean and rebuild your current 4160 and if it does not have that on there now, he has several new-to-you refurbished and tested 4160s in his shop now.

An automotive type carburetor is not safe or legal.

Send a message to thatsmrmastercrft on this forum. He will take cigars in trade....

Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Holley 4160.... They work just fine with the Edelbrock. I presume you're putting the GT40P heads?

I personally do not think the Edelbrock intake is necessarily a great upgrade by itself, and even more so the heads without a souped-up cam. One can calculate and figure all day long but from what I have had experience, for really good noticeable power upgrade, the engine should have a bottom end cam that is complimentary to the other add-ons. Your call and merely my opinion.

All of that being said, I currently have a 351W with the Edelbrock intake, the Flotek GT40P heads, and a 4160 with a stock cam. Very pleased with the performance but I am not feeling whiplash when I gouge on it. It was like that when I found it and having come from a stock 351 prior to this engine (from an 85 model)....nothing that I would write home about.

You can never go wrong with a new carburetor and I am 100% sold on the 4160 marine.

For a really budget-minded plan, keep the stock intake, add the heads, and get a guy here to clean and rebuild your current 4160 and if it does not have that on there now, he has several new-to-you refurbished and tested 4160s in his shop now.

An automotive type carburetor is not safe or legal.

Send a message to thatsmrmastercrft on this forum. He will take cigars in trade....

Cigars in trade.....ha ha ha!

I was at my local carburetors shop this morning looking at Quick Fuel and Marine Avenger carbs. This is a case of getting what you pay for. There is a reason why these carbs are cheaper than a marine Holley 4160. It all about how they are built. Holley tried this with the 4010 years ago that was almost entirely cast rather than machined. That saved them a large amount of money, but in the long run, these are all getting replaced with 4160’s.

I have been building Holley carbs since 1982, so I have seen a few carbs over the years. The new 4160 models are good, but they are not built as well as the older units, mostly by replacing brass shafts with steel.

If the convenience of having externally adjustable floats is a factor, I can build a marine 4160 with externally adjustable float bowls. I have cores on hand that I can build right now. The Coast Guard has no problem with externally adjustable floats. It is just the marine 4160 450 and 600 cfm models that have internal float adjustments. The 750 cfm and larger marine 4160 carbs have externally adjustable floats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM
TT Newbie

took a while to figure how to upload pic
see below

Rebuild this ?

Last edited by Bernie123; 03-08-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
TT Newbie

[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 PM
TT Newbie

carb pic

Rebuild ??
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

Rebuild ??
Peter???

I say yes but I also am not an expert. It looks rough but looks can be deceiving.

I smell salt

Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 PM
TT Newbie

Is this a good or bad choice??

Holley 0-82670 670 CFM Aluminum Marine Avenger Carburetor

Building on the proven performance and durability of the Aluminum Street Avenger Series- we have engineered the new marine models to continue that performance heritage that Holley is known for. The all-aluminum carburetors are hard coat anodized in a Hard Core Gray finish to protect them from corrosion in fresh water or salt water conditions. The new Marine Avengers are built to exceed the Coast Guard standards and are J1223 Marine Standard certified.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Is this a good or bad choice??

Holley 0-82670 670 CFM Aluminum Marine Avenger Carburetor

Building on the proven performance and durability of the Aluminum Street Avenger Series- we have engineered the new marine models to continue that performance heritage that Holley is known for. The all-aluminum carburetors are hard coat anodized in a Hard Core Gray finish to protect them from corrosion in fresh water or salt water conditions. The new Marine Avengers are built to exceed the Coast Guard standards and are J1223 Marine Standard certified.
I cannot say without bias. Perter wrote about the Avenger in a post ==> here <== .

Bottom line is this: You'll get what you pay for and the Avenger is a less quality than the 4160.

Four choices for you at this time (to summarize):
1) A new 4160 for ~$600
2) A rebuilt 4160 from Peter for ~$400-450
3) The Avenger - ~$455 (the specs exceed your stock engine performance at 670 CFM delivery...the 4160 is 600 CFM delivery).
4) Or build that one in the photograph (~$300) but I will say this as my opinion; I'd buy a new-to-you from Peter or get the new 4160 from a supplier (Several to choose and shop). New is pretty but Peter can build you one that will work just like a new one. That is your call but I'd shy away from the Avenger. Just my preference and $0.02.