Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
free air compared to enclosure,,, in my limited experience there is no comparison, enclosures dominate....

I'm already driving the hell out of the MTX sub.

This has nothing to do with location. Maybe you misunderstand my post. I would not move the woofer setup to an insulated closed locker because you are not happy with its performance under the helm. Its a step back in my opinion.

I do not have any knowledge of your particular setup, so I have no idea if the woofer is even an IB woofer or an AS running IB. I do not know your amp or its setting. im not even sure if a PS197 has a helm wall that is even favorable to an IB. What I do know is, a woofer under the helm is typically better then one closed in an insulated locker.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Mine is in the kick panel. Same location as yours'. I do not concur with your abysmal performance assessment, but I suppose you may be demanding more from your sub than I am. I love my audio setup, as a whole. It provides great, balanced sound without distortion. I am not looking for boat pounding, dash rattling bass.

I'll be back in my room...
...hahaha great pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
This has nothing to do with location. Maybe you misunderstand my post. I would not move the woofer setup to an insulated closed locker because you are not happy with its performance under the helm. Its a step back in my opinion.

I do not have any knowledge of your particular setup, so I have no idea if the woofer is even an IB woofer or an AS running IB. I do not know your amp or its setting. im not even sure if a PS197 has a helm wall that is even favorable to an IB. What I do know is, a woofer under the helm is typically better then one closed in an insulated locker.
what I'm getting from all of this is I have the wrong subwoofer and I should purchase an IB. I'm fairly certain I do not have an IB, which should make a good bit of difference being installed in the kick panel.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
What’s in it? What amp?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
what I'm getting from all of this is I have the wrong subwoofer and I should purchase an IB. I'm fairly certain I do not have an IB, which should make a good bit of difference being installed in the kick panel.
Im saying stick with the under helm location, but moving forward with a new setup, address the reason you are not happy with it. Using a woofer that most ideal for an IB alignment, is only part of the equation. I would be hesitant to go out and buy a true IB woofer and expect it to be better.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Whatís in it? What amp?
MTX Wetsounds 500.1 amp, and for the sub whatever the standard issue 10" marine sub was from MTX

Quote:
Im saying stick with the under helm location, but moving forward with a new setup, address the reason you are not happy with it. Using a woofer that most ideal for an IB alignment, is only part of the equation. I would be hesitant to go out and buy a true IB woofer and expect it to be better.
The reason why I'm unhappy with is is it drowns out, and I'm familiar with a more defined bass hit that you get out of a sub box (or at least that I think I've heard).

I don't near dashboard rattling bass, just a more crisp bass hit.

I need to be spoon fed, the only thing I know is bigger-faster-louder-stronger
Old 02-20-2018, 06:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
MTX Wetsounds 500.1 amp, and for the sub whatever the standard issue 10" marine sub was from MTX

The reason why I'm unhappy with is is it drowns out, and I'm familiar with a more defined bass hit that you get out of a sub box (or at least that I think I've heard).

I don't near dashboard rattling bass, just a more crisp bass hit.

I need to be spoon fed, the only thing I know is bigger-faster-louder-stronger
Hmm. That shouldnít be abysmal. Let me know next time youíre up here and letís take a listen and Iíll check it all out

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-20-2018, 06:51 PM
MC Devotee

Based on the numbers, that woofer is suited for IB. So, this leaves the boat and tuning as possible weak spots.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:57 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Hmm. That shouldn’t be abysmal. Let me know next time you’re up here and let’s take a listen and I’ll check it all out
I was just banned from the boat until the nursery is complete. No touchy.

But I'll let you know when I'm headed to Grapevine next. Probably in a few weeks.

Quote:
Based on the numbers, that woofer is suited for IB. So, this leaves the boat and tuning as possible weak spots.
OK. THanks