Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks

Wow, thanks for all the comments. Points well taken. I had thought of the John boat idea, since it will too cold for anything but basic transportation, but I thought I'd ask the experts if there were any other simple options. I plan on building a boathouse, and I'd need John to get back and forth anyway. Hey, I really appreciate the time yall took (now you know I'm not in Nanuk's neighborhood, down South in GA). I have gotten so many tidbits from the threads here, and this is yet more sage advice, which I'll take. I'll send some pictures as soon as I get around to taking them. Thanks again to all.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Block heater?

What about using some sort of block heater or engine compartment heater or drop light in the engine compartment if the temps are not too low. This would require electricity of course, which I don't know if you have. I have no personal experience with any of these techniques and wonder what the experts think. Bill Z
Old 09-08-2004, 10:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
One thing to think about with an electric heat source is that in a bad winter storm, electricity could be lost. A backup generator ought to be employed. I still vote for alternate source of water transport.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsupcar
What about using some sort of block heater or engine compartment heater or drop light in the engine compartment if the temps are not too low. This would require electricity of course, which I don't know if you have. I have no personal experience with any of these techniques and wonder what the experts think. Bill Z

never ever ever use a droplight. there is always the very slight chance of expolosion, and fire. they do make ignition proof engine room heaters that are available at all of the West Marine and Boat US stores in Atlanta. You won't find them any further south though.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Leroy

Unfortunately if you try to invent the magic heating source each one has fatal flaws. I would go with the john boat! I also wanted to get out of the winterzation process, but people gave me bad examples of everything I could think to try, bulbs burn out, cause fires when power flickers, power outages, etc, You need back up to back up and check often or just winterize.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Today's weather

10-18-04 in Fort Worth Texas. The forcast calls for a high of 90 f'n degrees. My ribs are still too smoked to ski! I am thinking of calling a buddy and taking him out to jump just so I can drive! 90 f'n degrees!!!!!! I need a drink fast!!!!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Leroy

You make me sick Tex, 45F and rain......we didn't have a day over 90 this summer!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:23 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
You make me sick Tex, 45F and rain......we didn't have a day over 90 this summer!
Leroy-Hang in there. You could be in Montana!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Leroy, if it's any consolation, althought it's supposed to hit 91 today, so far it looks pretty windy (at least for this part of the country).

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Leroy, if it's any consolation, althought it's supposed to hit 91 today, so far it looks pretty windy (at least for this part of the country).
Leroy-I have access to 2 privite sites. If the ribs would allow it, I could be footing by 5pm-no matter what the wind!