Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-13-2004, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
How long can I wait?

How cold does it need to be and for how long before the block will freeze??

I'm still skiing on a regular basis and want to wait a few more weeks before winterizing. It isn't too cold yet here in Dayton but I don't want to take any chances.

The boat is stored outside under a carport, protected from the wind. It is supposed to get down to 28* Saturday night. Can the block freeze from 1 cold night or does it take longer than 8 or so hours below freezing? I'm thinking I'll drain the block or stick a light under the motor box just to be safe.

Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
How cold does it need to be and for how long before the block will freeze??

I'm still skiing on a regular basis and want to wait a few more weeks before winterizing. It isn't too cold yet here in Dayton but I don't want to take any chances.

The boat is stored outside under a carport, protected from the wind. It is supposed to get down to 28* Saturday night. Can the block freeze from 1 cold night or does it take longer than 8 or so hours below freezing? I'm thinking I'll drain the block or stick a light under the motor box just to be safe.

Thoughts?
Yes it can! Use a light! Don't roll the dice!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
My dealer in Cincinnati told me it has to be below freezing for almost an entire day before you have to worry.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Yes it can! Use a light! Don't roll the dice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
My dealer in Cincinnati told me it has to be below freezing for almost an entire day before you have to worry.
Haha, just what I expected. I've also heard the 24 hour rule. But I also don't want to gamble.

So, is it safe to stick a light under the motor box while the cover is on. I'm not going to blow the whole thing up am I?!? (from the fuel fumes)
Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Haha, just what I expected. I've also heard the 24 hour rule. But I also don't want to gamble.

So, is it safe to stick a light under the motor box while the cover is on. I'm not going to blow the whole thing up am I?!? (from the fuel fumes)
Well if you do....would you at least post some pics to warn the rest of us???
Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Considering how little time it takes to drain the block, I would do that. Even if you take the bottom of the hoses off, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. How much money do you want to give the utility for keeping the motor from freezing?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I would keep a clear water bottle on your porch. Check it in the mornings. The first morning it starts to get a small layer of ice, start draining.

BTW - I have also done the light under the dog box trick. It is kind of dangerous so if you smell fumes - DON'T DO IT! But - since the boat isn't being ran with the light under it (hence no gas actually moving) if you don't smell vapors, you're PROBABLY safe. Of course, only you can decide how much risk to take.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:33 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I remember someone posted on the site "previously known as the MC owners site" an article about setting a light. Apparently this light fell in the middle of the night and caught the carpet on fire and then the entire boat caught fire.

I'm w/ ol' JimN just drain her...
Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
will he guarantee that in writing? didn't think so!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-14-2004, 09:26 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
The guy I bought my boat from was telling me a story about his previous boat. He sold it to a guy that went out on a New Years Eve ski. He got in that night and was planning on re-winterizing the next day. It was too late.
Draining the block takes all of 5 minutes. Even if it took an hour it would be worth it.