Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM
TT Newbie

Pertronix Ignitor II in Mercruiser i'm stumped

I put a Pertronix Ignitor II in my 1973 Mercruiser 888 with Ford 302. I also put new Igniter II coil, plugs and wires. Adjusted the timing with a timing light to 10 BTDC. It runs very smooth and revs cleanly in neutral. The problem I'm having is once I drop it in gear when it's under a load in the water it doesn't want to run. If it doesn't stall right away its missing. Pull it back to neutral and it runs fine. On the hose I can put it in gear and it revs just like in neutral so its only when the water is loading the prop. Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Sounds like you're not getting any ignition advance. I'm not familiar with that engine, did it have mechanical or vacuum advance? Was there a section in the instructions that dealt with ignition timing and advance?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Carefully check the firing order. You may have two plug wires crossed. Don't ask me how I know this. Lol

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM
MC Maniac

Looks like they have a tech line you can call as well....

Call our tech line (909 599 5955) for any further instructions or questions. You may also
logon to www.pertronix.com for the latest technical information
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Carefully check the firing order. You may have two plug wires crossed. Don't ask me how I know this. Lol
Yeah, I have the T shirt as well......
Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 PM
TT Newbie

No vacuum. Nothing in the instructions regarding advance that I can recall. I adjusted it with the timing light and it idled perfect. I believe I have a voltage leak somewhere and it only shows up under a load.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I did them 1 at a time but after problems I checked the firing order by the manual as well. I also pulled each plug to re-check the gap and make sure I didn't crack any plugs.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:37 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Looks like they have a tech line you can call as well....

Call our tech line (909 599 5955) for any further instructions or questions. You may also
logon to www.pertronix.com for the latest technical information
I called them and he tells me the Pertronix is doing its job because it starts and runs.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholcomb72 View Post
I put a Pertronix Ignitor II in my 1973 Mercruiser 888 with Ford 302. I also put new Igniter II coil, plugs and wires. Adjusted the timing with a timing light to 10 BTDC. It runs very smooth and revs cleanly in neutral. The problem I'm having is once I drop it in gear when it's under a load in the water it doesn't want to run. If it doesn't stall right away its missing. Pull it back to neutral and it runs fine. On the hose I can put it in gear and it revs just like in neutral so its only when the water is loading the prop. Any suggestions?
The Pertronix Ignitor II is the EI module only.

Therefore no new Flame-Thrower type distributor, correct? Just the module as you stated.

So I can only guess that your Ford 302 has the OEM distributor (Prestolite maybe?) and would have timing advance springs in the bottom of the well.

Check the springs for being connected, for proper tension (weak from cyclic wear), or maybe being rusted and broken.

Also make sure you have the correct type of plug wire. A solid core wire will not work.

As stated above by others, seems to me like timing advance (or lack of). Firing order, etc and all of the above considerations are as much as I could add, already stated. I am no expert on this issue. I apologize if I have misunderstood your installation.

What's furthermore...I'd like to see a photograph of that machine you are working on.
Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-06-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
The Pertronix Ignitor II is the EI module only.

Therefore no new Flame-Thrower type distributor, correct? Just the module as you stated.

So I can only guess that your Ford 302 has the OEM distributor (Prestolite maybe?) and would have timing advance springs in the bottom of the well.

Check the springs for being connected, for proper tension (weak from cyclic wear), or maybe being rusted and broken.

Also make sure you have the correct type of plug wire.

As stated above by others, seems to me like timing advance (or lack of). Firing order, etc and all of the above considerations are as much as I could add, already stated. I am no expert on this issue. I apologize if I have misunderstood your installation.

What's furthermore...I'd like to see a photograph of that machine you are working on.
I got a hold of a good tech guy at Pertronix and this is one of the checks he suggested Waterlogged.