Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1973 stars and stripes 350 chevy
how to post pics

can someone tell me how to post pics out of my album at jjo
Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Here you go!
Attached Images

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

thanks just wanted people to see my new ride
Old 02-26-2018, 06:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Great looking boat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 02-26-2018, 07:35 PM
TT Newbie

how to post a thread

Thanks can someone tell me how to post a thread? I have many questions about my boat thanks
Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo View Post
Thanks can someone tell me how to post a thread? I have many questions about my boat thanks
Attached Images

John 3:16-18
Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjo View Post
thanks waterlogged882 the boat is shinked wraped I bought it from a neighbor a few weeks ago so i dont know the engine make it says master craft with stars on the sides is that a s&s or a skier?
Several points to clarify from what I have known over the years of my MC hobby interest of 39 years:
  • There is a manufacturer's placard in front of the shifter control. Look on it for reference to the make. In early years there was no model designated (best I recall but don't hold me to it). Then the USCG (I think) required a "model" be identified for sales and capacity legalities. So MC Squirrely made up a "model" name purely out of the blues (according to himself, the owner of MC at that time). He called it the "Skier" and the boats were then at 18' in length. I think this is close if not accurate information. I have a photograph of a blank placard, then another photograph of a 19Skier placard so that is what I have observed. And then of course later years placards.
  • When the length went to 19 feet (1977 or 1978) there was then the discriminator of "19Skier" and that was stamped on the placard. Never named a Stars and Stripes.
  • "Stars and Stripes" became merely a nick name of the overall decal applique' and gel scheme, but was always officially and legally called the Skier or 19Skier depending on length and year model(s) respectively.
  • This went on for 24 years as being noted as a S&S, but that was not the official 'model' as noted above. Still no S&S model.
  • In year 25 of production MC recognized the 25th year milestone of production on all 1993 year boats, regardless of the model. By then (beginning in 1987) the hull had changed and became known as the Prostar 190, Prostar 205, etc.
  • In recognition and commemoration of the past 2? years of the nicked S&S, MC offered an option for decals and a gel scheme that served as that commemorative of the past 2? years and designated that option (additional $750 cost) as "Stars and Stripes," therefore establishing the only official S&S option with that designation, still remaining a Prostar 190. That year (1993) and that year only and remains that way today.
  • Needless to say, this has been a misnomer from 197? - 1985 however widely recognized as such (S&S).
Clear as mud?

There was no 25th Anniversary 'model', 'option', or 'edition'. The 25th Anniversary designation sticker is merely a placard and an indication of the commemoration of the 25th year milestone of MC production. Aside from that, 25th anything means nothing other than water-cooler and forum gossip.

There was a "Limited" option of the 25th but it was not a Stars and Stripes. It was merely a different gel scheme with flake (as flake was discontinued in 1983) as a nice looking commemoration of the 25th year milestone. It was designated as "Limited" where 25 (if I recall correctly) were made.

All of these Prostar 190s had the same hull design for that year, just different options and gel schemes.

I hope this helps.

NOTE: That 73 you have has a recall and has been known to leak and sink. If you want to reduce that risk to yourself, I'll take it off your hands for a fair price to you. I do not mind the extra work for the recall.

Attached Images

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-27-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:07 AM
MC Master Poster

1970? Mastercraft Skier Restoration

Seldom do I get to add to waterlogged882s endless amount of information. I will try to do it in fewer words than one of his posts. Lol

It is correct that Rob Shirley was required by the Coadt Guard to designate a model name for the boats he was building. Skier was the 18 foot version first generation hull manufactured from 1968-1976. The boat was made wider and one foot longer for the 1977 model year, and was designated 19Skier.

I have a 1977 19Skier and have a breakdown of the hull ID number that may correlate to your numbers. If you search here, you will find a bunch of different breakdowns of the number, but I do not think any of them are correct for the early boats. I’ll post it as soon as I locate it.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:25 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the help will have many more questions thanks again
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 PM
MC Master Poster

No worries jjo, that is what this place is all about. Well, that and bikini pics.

Last edited by thatsmrmastercraft; 03-23-2018 at 11:20 PM.