Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Is the port in between the woofers? If so, then one woofer is in essentially a 3rd of the air space as the other woofer as the port structure is dividing the enclosure, all be it not symmetrical between the two woofers. This would have identical woofers with identical power, operating completely different.
The port is to the right of both subs
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
For a longer excursion woofer, foam is the ideal surround material. But a foam surround may only be good for perhaps seven seasons in a boat, versus longer in a car, or perhaps 20+ years in the home. When I've seen early foam surround failure you can often trace it to the foam surround making contact with something on long excursions or a failing of the enclosure. It could be a sealed enclosure that isn't airtight. Or it could be a ported enclosure that is working poorly. In a proper ported enclosure there is very little woofer cone excursion as compared to a sealed enclosure.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just to close out this thread I had a down firing 12 inch sub laying around so I put it in the big storage area and hooked it up. I think it sounds as good as the 2 10s. Much lighter on the port side too. So I'm going to be selling this box if any one is interested.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I had an audio guy come check out the system.... I got the two JL10W7 remanufactured by JL. Made the ported box sealed since it wasn't big enough to be ported. Added a divider to separate and stiffen the box. Reinstalled them added a level controller for the tower speakers. Tuned it and WOW... I'm really impressed. He made the 2 10s in the box handle the lows, and the 2 IB subs handle mid, and everything sounds great. Gonna be rocking it out this summer!