Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
If you don't mind me asking...how heavy does that wood structure feel? It does look like you'll be able to lift this seat in and out of the boat as needed. Maybe?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jieiku View Post
seat construction pics - final product when i take more boat pics
So I made sure to take pictures as I was rebuilding the back seat to help anyone else out need to do the same. I was lucky that I still had the old styrofoam seat to take measurements from.

Anyone looking to build a backseat, The main thing I can recommend is laying the boards into the boat and arranging them to make sure they will fit the way you think they will. On the year range model, the part you sit on is supposed to sit at a slight angle, meaning the back of the seat is lower than the front edge. However the entire seat is only a couple inches total off the floor. I think I have the back of the seat at about half inch to an inch and the front is somewhere around 2.5", I am talking about the wood structure.

I built the base first, then peaced the back, then the sides, every board I cut I brought back to the boat to see how it would line up (the angles)

Also the back and side walls do not go straight up from the base, the both lay at a slight angle, this means cutting the end of the boards at an angle. I cought on to all the angles early on and would purposely cut a lot of my boards a few inches longer so that I could adjust the angle, and trim off 1/4 inch at a time, only changing the angle, then once the angle was right I would trim the board to the final length.

wow that turned into a wall of text, here are the construction shots, the final product picture will be very soon, when I uncover the boat to winterize I will take more pics. In the final product, I put all the original yellow foam and the vinyl over my wood seat, because of the time and patience I used building the backseat, the vinyl fit over the wood one just about perfectly. I attached the vinyl with a stapler gun, to get a good fit with the old vinyl the most important part to measure is the distance between the two top back corner of the vinyl, I flipped it upside down, stretched it out, and measured between the two points where the top back corners of the seat would be. This effectively limits the width, the seat doesnt actually go all the way to the walls on the original seat, they had a gap for the boat padded side rails, between the seat and side of the boat, that is why my seat does not go all the way to the sides of the boat, if I were not reusing the old vinyl then I could have made the backseat a couple of inches wider.

between working on this and my truck, I didn't get to use the boat as much as I would have liked this summer. Now that the boat and truck are both almost 100%, I should be able to take the boat out a lot this next summer.
Looks like a great project. I keep toying with making a rear seat for my boat.

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Skier P-S 351w
sorry guys, been really busy. Here is a picture of it covered with the original material. Also I weighed it on my scale, it weighs 75 pounds, it could probably be built a little lighter, but for me I can easily lift it with one hand, with two people it would be super easy to remove any time.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
wow, only 75 pounds doesn't seem like too much

Tags
1986, power slot, powerslot, rescue, skier