Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 03:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: xstar
Bilge pump questions 2001 X-Star

Need some advice. I just bought a 2001 Mastercraft X Star. The bilge pump doesn't seem to be working, when I put it on manual no water comes out even though there is an inch or two of water in the bilge. The pump sounds like it is running but there is no water coming out.

Also, does anyone know if the 2001 X Star has one or two bilge pumps? I only found the rear bilge pump to be making noise.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinmaj View Post
Need some advice. I just bought a 2001 Mastercraft X Star. The bilge pump doesn't seem to be working, when I put it on manual no water comes out even though there is an inch or two of water in the bilge. The pump sounds like it is running but there is no water coming out.

Also, does anyone know if the 2001 X Star has one or two bilge pumps? I only found the rear bilge pump to be making noise.

Thanks for your help!
I used to have a 2002 X Star. Mine had only 1 pump at the back beside the engine, slightly to the starboard side. With just one pump it won't do a great job of emptying the bilge and you will be left with a couple of inches of water in the mid ship bilge area. It takes quite a bit of water to reach high enough to prime the back pump. When underway the water should flow back there and be mostly pumped out.

However if you have a couple inches of water at the back of the boat and you can hear the bilge it could be plugged. It is likely a cartridge style pump. On my X Star all it took was a twist and the cartridge would lift right out. Then clean out the base that is left behind attached to the hull. There could be a screen in there too that needs cleaning. If it isn't a twist out style pump, there will probably be a release button. Either way cleaning is pretty easy once the cartridge is pulled out. No need to disconnect any wires.

Last edited by shunra; 05-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
That center pump on the 01 X-Star is the center ballast drain pump. The middle of the boat sits lower than the rear when stationary, so the pump in the back can't drain everything.

Last edited by Tsumi; 05-29-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
If it is the center pump try popping the pump out of the housing. You can spin the fins by hand and then switch the pump on to see if they spin. Mine used to "stick" and I would have to pop it out and free it up. Then it would work fine for a while.

Tags
2001, bilge pump, x-star